New Build, would love some input

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming(FPS), Web browsing, some work use(online forms an such)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1800.00. Tax and shipping are not included in this price.

3) Where do you live?
North Carolina

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU (Intel), CPU Cooler?, RAM, Motherboard, Graphics card, power supply, DVD drive, case, maybe a sound card.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I will be reusing my monitor for the time being, or at least until I figure out something for a multi monitor setup.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I currently have a 24" LG 1920x1200. I am planning on changing this in the very near future. The monitors are not included in my build price. I will either get 3 1920x1200 monitors for multi-monitor gaming, or I will get a single 30".

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP. See below.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
I prefer the option of either Crossfire or SLI.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I will be getting Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Don't see a need for Ultimate unless you convince me otherwise.

I run a business with my brother and my father. I handle all the PC needs for our business. My brother is using a PC that we got from dell 8 years ago. His system is barely getting him by since we had to update some of our software. Instead of me buying or building him a new system, the company is going to pay the amount to me and I am going to give them my current system. I will in turn use the money towards a new build for myself.
I have a build in mind, but I wanted to hear some input from you guys. You may steer me in a direction that I had not considered. I love eyecandy. So I want to get as much graphics power as possible. I have been in the Nvidia camp for a very long time. I am not married to them but I am more familiar, but I am not against going with ATI. As far as the case goes. As for the case, I would like one with good airflow, quiet as possible, & is aesthetically pleasing. I have an ASUS Xonar sound card. I may reuse it in my new build or, if onboard audio works great on my new mobo, or if you recommend a good sound card that works well in win 7. I have a logitech 5.1 sound system. I prefer to purchase my parts from New Egg as well.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Last edited:
I don't remember the model number. It is an Antec case. It is no longer available as far as I can tell.

Find out what case you have. We need to know whether or not it would fit and cool the parts we recommend well enough for safe usage.

It should be large enough. It is a full tower. I currently have a BFG 280 gtx in it and if I need more space I can remove the hard drive cage for longer cards. The case has a built in display hooked up to a temp diode, the case idles around 89 F, and when I am gaming it hovers around the 115 F mark. When I get home I will look at my old specs maybe I can find a model number.

Let me add a couple of things. I was planning at least 8 gigs of ram, and I forgot that I am going to reuse my 1 TB Sata hdd.

I just edited my original post to include the case. From here on out I'm saying that a case is needed. Thank you for the input.

Last edited:
$220 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
~$180 - Some P67 Motherboard. Still waiting for the majority of them to be back in stock or back for sale.
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$225 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC0128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SSD
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$580 - 2 x XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$100 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
---
Total: $1468 plus shipping.

I included a SSD and hard drive since you didn't mention either in your answer to questions 4 and 5. Keep the OS and critical apps on the SSD and the game installs on the HDD.

Try the onboard sound FIRST and then decide if a sound card is needed. Choose your own case. I recommend the following:
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$106 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$200 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$220 - Lian Li PC-A71F Black ATX Case
$290 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case
$330 - Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Full Tower ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions.
1. Why did you choose an i5 instead of an i7?

2. Since Sandybridge mobos are a few and far between, what alternative would you recommend if I had to put this system together next week?

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions.
1. Why did you choose an i5 instead of an i7?
Because there is very very little difference between i5 and i7 in games
2. Since Sandybridge mobos are a few and far between, what alternative would you recommend if I had to put this system together next week?

Probably a Core i5 760 CPU + ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard. Rest of the parts stay the same.

However I highly highly highly recommend waiting for the Sandy Bridge mobos to come out. The performance difference between the Core i5 760 and Core i5 2500K is well worth the wait.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. The info on the CPU is the biggest help. I did not want to wait but I think I can put them off at work a little longer. I would rather wait and get something I will truly be happy with.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. The info on the CPU is the biggest help. I did not want to wait but I think I can put them off at work a little longer. I would rather wait and get something I will truly be happy with.

Yup.

Back