New build with large budget

Teecee

Gawd
I am in the need of a new backup server so I was thinking of using my current desktop parts to build the backup server and buy new parts for my main desktop. My current desktop is listed in my sig. Budget is really not a concern.

So what I was thinking was getting a Q9550, Asus Rampage Extreme, some DDR3, and grabbing another 4870 to run crossfire. Maybe even buy a new raptor for all of my games to be stored on.

Ive already got the 16 x 1TB drives and the 16 port LSI raid card for my backup server. I just need the finishing parts that I mentioned above plus case.

What is this server supposed to do? Your current rig (#1 I presume?) is already top of the line; you may be better served by building a cheap server box instead.

What is this server supposed to do? Your current rig (#1 I presume?) is already top of the line; you may be better served by building a cheap server box instead.

Server is going to be a backup server. I just want it stable with plenty of horsepower and hard drives. I will be loading linux on it. My current rig #1 does not do crossfire, which I want.

why xfire, get a x2 and save money... building another high priced pc when u already have one... is dumb

+10 for building server instead

on a 30"? thats nuts IMO
I doubt you would see any preformance increase in building a new system from what you have now or adding another x2 to ur current set up. Save money :p

Waste of money then? Recommend me a board for my backup server then with a quad core?

I was just thinking since I gotta buy a new board and cpu, lets upgrade mine.

I see, based on your sig, that you have four systems; one of them is a laptop, and one of them is a SFF rig. What are the roles of your other computers? Why can't you use System #2 as your backup server?

I see, based on your sig, that you have four systems; one of them is a laptop, and one of them is a SFF rig. What are the roles of your other computers? Why can't you use System #2 as your backup server?

Because it cant hold 16 hard drives....And I use that for something else.

Back