• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build... Which SSD's?

LordCalin

Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
901
This is what I have so far.. mostly not sure which SSD's to go with, or any other places to improve
The system running / operating a 3D Scanner, with photoshop working on 1.5GB - 2GB images.
Budget was 5k (cdn)

Case: Silverstone TJ07
CPU: Core i7 960 w/ Coolermaster N620 Fan
MB: Asus P6X58D-E
RAM: 6x4GB Kingston 1333
VC: Sapphire 6870
PS: Coolermaster 700W
Boot Drive: Unknown 160GB SSD (2 in mirrored raid)
Data Drive: 2TB WD Black
DVD: LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray burner
 
Wait, are those parts you're buying or parts that you're running already?

Do note that running two SSDs in RAID will disable TRIM which will affect the long term performance of the SSDs.
 
Parts I Was Planning to buy for the system.. Some I know are overkill / over priced like the TJ07 but the budget is 5k, and they want all 5 used.. (government.. if it's not used, it gets cut lower next time sorta thing)
 
Which Coolermaster PSU did you choose?

Oh and SSD wise, just go for a signle Intel 160GB SSD. Like I said earlier, SSD RAID 0 would not be a good idea.
 
Do note that running two SSDs in RAID will disable TRIM which will affect the long term performance of the SSDs.

QFT (at least with currently available RAID drivers). The currently-latest versions of the Intel and Marvell RAID drivers do not support TRIM on SSDs that are in a RAID array. However, if the controller(s) are set to RAID mode, an SSD can be used with TRIM enabled if that SSD is configured as a non-RAID drive.
 
You are willing to spend 5K on a system that will become obsolete in 8 months. If I were you, I would spend that 5K on Sandybridge next year.

Things worth waiting for:
1. Sandybridge
2. AMD 6900/ Nvidia GTX580
3. Intel SSD G3 drives
 
An i7 980x and 2 x 256GB Crucial C300 SSDs could mop up a good chunk of that $5k pretty easily...maybe dual GPUs too? :)
 
Hm, considering your enormous budget I would likewise suggest waiting until new technologies come Q1 next year.

Geforce GTX 580: Soon (November 9th supposedly)
Radeon 6890 - Soon?
Intel SSD G3: Q1 2011
Intel i7 SandyBridge - January 2011

But seeing this is for government and not personal your list is probably fine? I mean if you're not gaming or doing strenuous multimedia processing.

I'd recommend Intel SSDs (since it's government and everything I've read points to Intel SSDs being the most reliable):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...A=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=x25-m&x=0&y=0
 
I thought there was a few SSD's out there capable of running trim and raid??? Not an expert just remember reading the article in Maximum PC.


5K CDN.... Can I build one with you :) Time to get a Canadian government job.

Goodluck!
 
I thought there was a few SSD's out there capable of running trim and raid??? Not an expert just remember reading the article in Maximum PC.

Hardware-wise, there are SSDs that are capable of running TRIM and RAID. Unfortunately, currently available SATA RAID drivers do not support running both TRIM and RAID at the same time in the same drive.
 
lol... yeah I would wait if i could, but the scanner will arrive by end of the month, so have to have the system before then. Would go for dual GPU but they want silence as much as possible, the single 6870 is pushing it as it is.

Sadly I only get to build it, and then it's gone

No Nvidia in the system since the company who makes the scanner claims in the docs it can't support it, same with AMD cpu's (as if either one really effects a scanner... and I know this... but the scanner is six figures to buy, and they don't want to do anything against the docs to cancel warranties / tech support on it).
 
my other question is on fans... with 6 120mm's (4 case, 2 cpu) and 2 92mm's The stock ones won't cut it for noise, was looking at noctua's but the canadian distributer (ASI) has none available, what are some other suggestions for silent fans?
 
I think Scythe makes some pretty silent fans. Might want to check out silentpcreview.com
 
Back
Top