• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build Which Chip should I use

Guido02

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
224
Hello,

The Rundown:

I used to spend more time on the computer and do the gaming I liked to do, but things have changed and my free time has been pretty scarce lately. But I'd like to get back in the swing of things and brought up to speed. The last build I did was when the C2D's were new and the 8800GTS's just came out. Needless to say my build was an E6400 with an Asus board, the 8800GTS, Corsair 650 PSU, I can't remember how much RAM I had, but it was GSkillz, and a Zalman heatsink. There were other odds and ends, but the was the meat and potatoes. This pc was left in Michigan a year ago and I moved to Tucson Az. I left my Dell 30" monitor behind as well which hurt a bit, but i'll live.

Fast forward and I'm interested in building a new machine, but as im looking at newegg I'm quite confused. Why are the processors classified by name i.e. wynfield... and how do I know which is best to use. I know the new iX's have recently come out, if I'm building a new rig is it stupid to use anything but them? It appears as if AMD became competitive since the last build, should their chips be considered in a new build.

THose are some basic questions on chips that I have had. I plan to be doing some picture and video editting, gaming(I like First Person Shooters), and in the future HTPC. Does this matter when I'm looking at these processors?

This is all the questions I can think of for now, but thanks in advance to those who give input.

Also, I tried to search the forums but it wouldn't pull up any results for what I was aksing... Not sure why, I think I did something wrong but oh well
 
Intel Core i5 Quad or AMD Phenom II X4 9xx. Either one will do you good.

If you have an open budget definitely look at the i7's and shoot even the Phenom II X6. Will be a bit over kill but will hopefully last a bit longer.

I'm thinking an i5 Quad or II X4 will be the best fit for you though. The price difference can be as little as $20 or as large as $50 in favor of AMD depending on which model you look at. Others can speak to the performance comparison of the two and whether or not the price difference is worth it.

Good luck.
 
What's your budget? What are you planning on doing (gaming, video editing, overclocking bragging rights, ...)

If your not on a super tight budget and have a Fry's/Microcenter in the area get an i7/X58 combo. X58 is the way to go for SLI/Crossfire support and future upgrades (e.g. Hexacore Gulftown). The entry level i7-930 overclocks well (see i7-930 OC'ing thread). You can do Dual Channel (2-dimm) to save money and use the stock cooler and upgrade later. I paid $350 for a MB/CPU combo at Fry's and about <$100 on a 4GB kit.
 
Thanks for all the speedy replies. My budget can go up pretty high, but for sake of arguement lets say 1500. I will be doing video editing and photo editing along with gaming. I used to do alot of gaming but time restrictions have cause that to decrease, but who knows what might happen in the future. Another thing to consider is that it would be cool if this became a HTPC in the future, although I may just do one before this is replaced.

I do want some sort of future proofing and one of my weaknesses in terms of PC knowledge is GPU's so I'm going to have to do a bit of research with that, but I figured I need to start with CPU. So are the C2D's outdated? Would you say that chip quality goes in this order... C2D, AMD X2, I3, AMD X4, I5, AMD X6, I7.

And as I stated earlier, all the different names on the C2D's had me scratching hard.

Thanks guys.. I love this place, you all are my kind of people.
 
C2D are pretty much outdated as they're now outperformed by AMD CPUs in the same price range. So in other words, they're not good buys unless you get a super awesome deal for a C2D/C2Q CPU. So for a new gaming/video editing setup these days, C2D/C2Q CPUs are not good choices for the money.

As for your chip quality order thing, it depends on the application and game. And depends whether or not you're factoring price to performance.

Also one more thing: Most of the higher-end CPUs (Core i7, AMD Phenom II X6, etc) uses a bit too much power and output a bit too much heat to make them good HTPCs.
 
Back
Top