New Build: Vista-64bit or wait for Windows 7?

Fendrix

2[H]4U
My computer is in my sig but I'll soon be upgrading to an Intel Q6600, 4gigs of RAM, new motherboard, etc.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are regarding a new operating system. I'm currently using XP 32-bit (I know, it's been a while) and I'd like to make the transition to Vista or Windows 7. I've heard a lot of good things about Vista and a lot of good things about 7, but I've heard equally bad things about them.

Is there a release date for 7 in the near future? And is it worth it for me to wait until then with this old XP OS or should I just go ahead and grab Vista even though they won't be upgrading it anymore in the future? I'm really torn about this, help me give my new hardware a home!

... I guess there's always the option I could just go with Linux? :)

On a side note, I read that this version of Vista only gives you one install, and if you change your hardware at any time and need to retype in the key, it won't let you. Is that true?

On the level of hardware your going to put the OS, you won't see much difference in performance between 7 and Vista. 7 will not have a RC for another 6 months or so, and then there will be a few months after that, so maybe Winter 09. Vista is fine until then, plus it will get you use to the UI/UAC etc.

Secondly, unless your going to run a lot of quad optimized app's, I'd suggest buying a faster clock quad because 2.4ghz on single/dual only supported games/app's really isn't going to cut it for newer stuff.

On a side note, I read that this version of Vista only gives you one install, and if you change your hardware at any time and need to retype in the key, it won't let you. Is that true?

No, the only problem you'll have is if you change your motherboard. You can install it as many times as you like as long as it's on the same PC it was initially installed on.

Thanks for the replies.

bigdogchris, I guess I should have been more clear: I'm going to overclock the hell out of that processor. :)

Thanks AbJ32 for the information. Since Winter '09 is pretty far away for me to expect a retail copy of 7, I will probably jump on Vista.

What are the main differences between Ultimate, Home, Business, etc.? And is it worth the price difference?

he can over clock his quad to 3Ghz - 3.4 most likely, or if they can get a Q9550 and run pretty at 3.8Ghz or so on air... which is more then sufficient for anything, i would say get the quad, because later this year you wont be kicking yourself when things do start to use more cores and think "why did i buy the dual core!"

I'd wait for Windows 7. Spending $200 on an OS to use for less than a year seems like a dumb idea to me, unless you plan on waiting a while to upgrade to Win 7, then go for it.

It's a good thing you don't have to spend nearly $200 then. I've seen Vista licenses as low as $84 at MicroCenter. Don't be surprised if Windows 7 isn't even released in 2009 at all.

As for the differences, Microsoft has a great chart on their Vista site showing the differences between the editions. Chances are, Ultimate will be a waste of money.

I'd wait for Windows 7. Spending $200 on an OS to use for less than a year seems like a dumb idea to me, unless you plan on waiting a while to upgrade to Win 7, then go for it.

So what would be a realistic alternative until the Win7 release? If he did buy Vista now, it can always be used on a spare machine when the upgrade bug bites again.

Every time one of these threads pops up I'm just going to give my blanket response:

Grab Windows 7 and run with it... beta test it, get to "know" it, use it, explore it, and just pass on Vista at this point.

'Nuff typed.

And.................

If you don't have your "5 keys" yet, go get 'em quick as Microsoft could stop supplying them any minute:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

I wouldn't pay for vista if the beta of 7 works. Save the money and wait for seven instead of buying vista and then buying the upgrade

What are the main differences between Ultimate, Home, Business, etc.? And is it worth the price difference?

Not worth the price difference. Just stick with Home Premium if you go with Vista.

While 7 isn't as well supported as Vista, consider that Win7 is free until August 1, 2009, which by that time there should be more info about the actual release date for Windows 7 OR a release candidate of Windows 7. So personally, I recommend using the Windows 7 beta until August 1 and then decide whether to go with Vista or continue to wait for Windows 7.

If Windows 7 beta does not turn out well for you, at least all it cost you was a DVD. Maybe lost data if you didn't keep backups.

Oh and I highly recommend going through this thread if you go with Windows 7 to get an idea of what apps and hardware do or do no work with Windows 7:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1383603

While 7 isn't as well supported as Vista, consider that Win7 is free until August 1, 2009, which by that time there should be more info about the actual release date for Windows 7 OR a release candidate of Windows 7.

Yanno, I think Microsoft needs to "fix" that... take a peek:

expirationdatera1.png

7 means July, not August, so 7/1/2009 is July 1st 2009... it sure ain't the European dating method which would be January 7th, 2009 because Beta 1 wasn't released yet, soooo...

Guess I need to send in Feedback and tell 'em to stop telling people it'll work till August because it's the first of July, a full month earlier.

And that's on a clean install of Win 7 I just got done doing about 1 hour ago too... ;)

I cant believe you've good things about vista, usually the vista haters (most of whom, btw, have never used vista), manage to convince everyone that its a terrible OS, even if they dont think so. The number of users that are on vista and are happy with it are the silent majority.

That said, the Windows 7 beta is unusually solid, the issues it has with existing programs are usually pretty minor but they do exist. Dont expect a perfect experiance for the next 6 months, but its a pretty smooth one. NT 6.1 seems to be almost perfectly backwards compatable with 6.0 (vista) so 90% of vista drivers work in windows 7. You can download 7 legally and for free here. Your beta key expiers in augest, which is probably when they're going to ship.

In augest, when it expires, if you havnt enjoyed things so far, your free to jump on over to vista or XP (with the appropriate backup and re-install down time of course).

Back