New Build Suggestion

Kmat

Weaksauce
I am looking to build a new computer with a budget of $2500 (budget not written in stone). I would like the gaming pc to be build around a lian li 1200 Plus 2 case, AMD processor, 19" Sony CRT monitor(G420) and ATI graphics card. I have window Xp. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kmat

I am looking to build a new computer with a budget of $2500 (budget not written in stone). I would like the gaming pc to be build around a lian li 1200 Plus 2 case, AMD processor, 19" Sony CRT monitor(G420) and ATI graphics card. I have window Xp. Any suggestions?

An Intel CPU, and an NVIDIA graphics card.

Oh, you mean suggestions within those constraints? ... wait, I'm confused. Do you have any of those parts already? Do you do anything else besides play games? And also, what games do you play?

An Intel CPU, and an NVIDIA graphics card.

Oh, you mean suggestions within those constraints? ... wait, I'm confused. Do you have any of those parts already? Do you do anything else besides play games? And also, what games do you play?

All I have are the CRT monitor and the Windows XP. I play strategy games, adventure and some FPS and I don't just use my computer for games. I use it to surf the web, information I need for school (graduate student), word processing, excel, and autoCad work.

Kmat

Come up with a list of parts and we can help tailor that list down to what you need.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217870

Will you be overclocking?

Also, why do you want an AMD CPU and Vidcard? Intel and NVIDIA parts perform much better for the money.

If you need a parts list to start with, pick any of the ones already listed in another thread. Here's one: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031434564#post1031434564

Based off the parts in that thread, I'd go for a high end gaming card, since you do CAD work along with gaming. For a 19" CRT, the 8800GTS 320MB would be fine. Though, keep in mind the replacement for it, 8700GTS 512MB, will be out in November some time and priced at around $250, or so the rumor says.

CPU - Intel Q6600 - $300
HSF - Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - $60 + Scythe S-Flex fan - $15 = $75
Motherboard - Abit IP35 Pro $180
RAM - G.Skill 4GB, 2x2GB DDR2-800 - $200
HDDs - 2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA HD - $110 x 2 = $220
PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - $200
Case - Lian-Li - $220
GPU - XFX/eVGA 8800 Ultra - ~$600 ($570 AR)

Total: $1996 before shipping, not including $30 rebate. You could easily go SLI within budget if you wanted. Instead of that I'd recommend you buy a 22" widescreen LCD to replace your CRT, though.

... I'd recommend you buy a 22" widescreen LCD to replace your CRT, though.

Eh, or just use both, lol. I have dual 20's right now, LCD and CRT. I have another LCD to flank the other side of my CRT, but I need another vidcard, lol.

Come up with a list of parts and we can help tailor that list down to what you need.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217870

Will you be overclocking?

Also, why do you want an AMD CPU and Vidcard? Intel and NVIDIA parts perform much better for the money.

If you need a parts list to start with, pick any of the ones already listed in another thread. Here's one: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031434564#post1031434564

Based off the parts in that thread, I'd go for a high end gaming card, since you do CAD work along with gaming. For a 19" CRT, the 8800GTS 320MB would be fine. Though, keep in mind the replacement for it, 8700GTS 512MB, will be out in November some time and priced at around $250, or so the rumor says.

Enginurd, I am a AMD fanboy. I can switch videocard but I am a fanboy of AMD. I think I will go with BFG videocard. I still have the CRT but I dont want to get rid of it. It is still in great condition besides it being heavy and using alot of energy, I cant find a good reason to get rid of it. If I did want to get rid of it, where would I put it? I dont want to throw a perfectly good monitor away.

Thanks

Kmat

Intel is on top. No reason to be a fanboy. My last 2 machines were AMD -- a socket A 1Ghz Athlon and a socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+. I couldn't be much happier with my C2D machine. Go where the power is.

Intel is on top. No reason to be a fanboy. My last 2 machines were AMD -- a socket A 1Ghz Athlon and a socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+. I couldn't be much happier with my C2D machine. Go where the power is.

You are absolutely correct silent-circut. I cant disagree with you more. I will to "convince" myself to go with intel for the next build but for now I am with AMD.

Kmat:D

AMD needs all the business it can get, so good for you Kmat!

Well performance wise, I'd go with the X2 6000+ . Right balance of price and performance and all that:
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ CPU - $170

Not too familiar with high-end AMD boards so someone else will have to help you out on that.

Other than the mobo and CPU, go with Silent-Circuit's build. It's a pretty solid build for very demanding gamer.

Enginurd, I am a AMD fanboy. I can switch videocard but I am a fanboy of AMD. I think I will go with BFG videocard. I still have the CRT but I dont want to get rid of it. It is still in great condition besides it being heavy and using alot of energy, I cant find a good reason to get rid of it. If I did want to get rid of it, where would I put it? I dont want to throw a perfectly good monitor away.

Eh, or just use both, lol. I have dual 20's right now, LCD and CRT. I have another LCD to flank the other side of my CRT, but I need another vidcard, lol.

I didnt say get rid of it, I said keep it and use both, lol.

If you still want AMD, just replace the cpu/board from the other build I linked (and case along with whatever else you want to change). Come up with a list so we can start tailoring your build.

System

AMD 5000 X2
Western Digital Raptor 150 gig
Hitachi 500 gig hard drive
BFG 8800 GTS 640MB
Asus Nvidia nforce 590 Crosshair
Lian Li 1200 Plus 2 Black
Auzentech Prelude
Corsair 2 Gig Ram
Thermalright Ultima 90, S-flex 90 mm fan
Seasonic M12 700

Does this sound ok so far?

If you insist on AMD at least go all the way. It's X2 6000+ or nothing. The C2D build will be a whole lot faster, though, regardless.

BFG 8800 GTS 768mb $399.99
AMD 64 X2 6000 $164.99
Crucial Ballistic 2 gig 6400 $109.99
Asus Crosshair SLI 590 $244.99
Seasonic M12 700 $209.99
Western Digital Raptor 150 (retail) $239.99
Seagate 320Gig 7200 Sata OEM $94.99
Auzentech Prelude $229.99
Thermalright Ultima 44.99
Scythe S-flex Fan 90mm:???
Total:$1979.90 (without the S-flex)
Lian Li PC V1200 Plus II Black: $239.99

What do you guys think?

I still think you could build Intel for the same or less and it'd be faster. Other than that, it's fine.

The Seasonic PSU is overpriced. Find it cheaper elsewhere or switch to the Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt modular for $190 via Newegg.

Buying another 2 Seagate 320GBs and putting them in RAID0 would be faster than the Raptor, cost less, and give you more space. Instead I'd suggest 3 500GB drives. All up to you, really. I'm not at all fond of the Raptors, as they're ridiculously expensive, loud, and a RAID 0 array of 2 drives will beat them every time.

I'd also check out the onboard sound before dropping $230 on a soundcard. Hint: still an X-Fi. Uses the same horrible Vista drivers.

I'd also recommend the Ultra 120 Extreme instead of the Ultima, if only because it'll use a 120mm fan and won't be so loud.

Case:-----------P182-----------------------------------$160
Proc:-----------A64 6000+----------------------------$170
Mobo:---------GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H---$87
Vid Card:-----G90--------------------------------------$600
Memory:------ Crucial Ballistix 2GB------------$109
HD:-------------Seagate 7200.10 320GB--------$80
Optical:-------Pioneer DVDRW-------------------$30
Speaker:-----Klipsch Promedia 2.1------------$130
Soundcard:--X-Fi XtremeMusic-----------------$90
PSU:------------Corsair HX520--------------------$100
Cooling:-------Custom Watercooling----------$250
M/KB:---------G11/G5------------------------------$100
Total: ~$2000

This would be what I would do with that kind of budget. Granted this is for a system running a 19" display, so I'm not putting in SLI (though with that budget SLI is easily within reach).

• First I have changed the case out to the P182. It's a good quality case with excellent airflow and good cable management that is significantly cheaper than the Lian-li you originally chose. I do understand however that case selection is often more subjective than objective, so if you'd prefer to keep the Lian-li, you certainly won't be disappointed.

• Next, I have selected a Gigabyte motherboard (*gasp*) mainly because the 690G chipset has performed extremely well in benchmarks compared to just about all other AM2 chipsets for only $87. It also comes with on-board HDMI/D-SUB/DVI, and max HTT speeds on this chipset can reach past 400 (not that the 15x multiplier on your proc will need this, but it's nice to have that ridiculously high limit). This board obviously does not support SLI, but I don't think that is an issue based on the size monitor you have. Be aware that in the next month or two AMD is expected to release RD790 which features full support for Phenom. If you decide to wait for G90, I would spec an RD790 based board as well.

• The videocard is a no-brainer. nVidia has mentioned previously that during Q4 (November to be more specific) there will be a group of new cards released. According to them, a 1 teraflop "beast" will be part of that group, so it makes sense to wait a little over a month and grab G90/G92/whatever the codename is. Otherwise, spec an 8800GTX as part of the build instead.

• The RAM is decent, and should be fine for overclocking.
  • The choice of hard drive is largely based on how much space you think you'll need. If you want more than 320GB, grab the 500GB version. Or, get two 320s in a RAID 0 array. However, I would not bother with the Raptors; the price/performance ratio just isn't there.
  • Nobody mentioned speakers, so I would go with a lovely set of Klipsch 2.1 or 4.1s, depending on how much you would like to spend.

• The Auzentech Prelude is a great PCI-E option, but it won't give you significantly different results as compared to the PCI XtremeMusic, and the XtremeMusic only costs ~$90. Alternatively you could always stick with the onboard sound; supposedly the Gigabyte's onboard sound is excellent.

• I know you already have Windows XP, but if this is a gaming build you will kick yourself on not having gone to Vista. DX10 (and soon DX10.1) support is only in Vista, and Vista performance has improved significantly compared to XP in the past few months.
  • The powersupply is the tried and true HX520, though with your budget you could always spec it to the 620 to be sure you can use it in future builds.

• For cooling I chose to allot $250 to build a custom watercooling kit. It would be a pity to have such a large budget and stick with conventional cooling. Here is the parts list. Add an MCW60 to that list if you'd like to watercool the G90 as well. Obviously if you aren't interested in watercooling, select an aftermarket heatsink like the Ninja, Tuniq Tower, or Ultra 120 Extreme.

• Finally, I chose to allot $100 for the mouse and keyboard, which are the G11 and G5.

BFG 8800 GTS 768mb $399.99
AMD 64 X2 6000 $164.99
Crucial Ballistic 2 gig 6400 $109.99
Asus Crosshair SLI 590 $244.99
Seasonic M12 700 $209.99
Western Digital Raptor 150 (retail) $239.99
Seagate 320Gig 7200 Sata OEM $94.99
Auzentech Prelude $229.99
Thermalright Ultima 44.99
Scythe S-flex Fan 90mm:???
Total:$1979.90 (without the S-flex)
Lian Li PC V1200 Plus II Black: $239.99

What do you guys think?

I think you meant 8800GTX 768MB, but where are you getting it for $400? The GTS 640MB is commonly found below/around that pricepoint.

Wow, thats one expensive motherboard. I'd go for the one quadnad chose instead, or something cheaper than the crosshair. You don't need SLI, so don't pay for it. Even if you plan on getting a 24", you still won't need SLI. A single Ultra level card would still be ok at that res. Its when you jump to the 4MP that you really need the power of SLI.

I agree with s-c on the Toughpower. Wow, that thing used to be on sale at Fry's for $125. Oh wellz. The PC P&C 750 Quad was on sale for around $175, but I don't know if it still is.

$240 for a raptor?!?!
78MB/s: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB, $160AR
65MB/s: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB, $80
65MB/s: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3300620AS 300GB, $60
52MB/s: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB, $70
112MB/s: RAID0 'cuda's, 600GB total, $120 (ICH9R on P35-DS3R)

As you can see, the 'cuda is twice the size and half the cost, for nearly the same performance. Stick them in RAID0, and you've got an even more cost effective solution. However, nothing can beat the seek time of the raptor. Then again, is that 4ms worth that price premium? Up to you. If you have cash to burn, then go for the raptor, but don't pay $240 for it. Its only $170 at microcenter.

I hope you have some really nice speakers to go with that Prelude.

The Ultima can fit a 120mm fan and perform as good as the other top dog coolers. Go with a 120mm Scythe S-Flex.

I think you meant 8800GTX 768MB, but where are you getting it for $400? The GTS 640MB is commonly found below/around that pricepoint.

Wow, thats one expensive motherboard. I'd go for the one quadnad chose instead, or something cheaper than the crosshair. You don't need SLI, so don't pay for it. Even if you plan on getting a 24", you still won't need SLI. A single Ultra level card would still be ok at that res. Its when you jump to the 4MP that you really need the power of SLI.

I agree with s-c on the Toughpower. Wow, that thing used to be on sale at Fry's for $125. Oh wellz. The PC P&C 750 Quad was on sale for around $175, but I don't know if it still is.

$240 for a raptor?!?!
78MB/s: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB, $160AR
65MB/s: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB, $80
65MB/s: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3300620AS 300GB, $60
52MB/s: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB, $70
112MB/s: RAID0 'cuda's, 600GB total, $120 (ICH9R on P35-DS3R)

As you can see, the 'cuda is twice the size and half the cost, for nearly the same performance. Stick them in RAID0, and you've got an even more cost effective solution. However, nothing can beat the seek time of the raptor. Then again, is that 4ms worth that price premium? Up to you. If you have cash to burn, then go for the raptor, but don't pay $240 for it. Its only $170 at microcenter.

I hope you have some really nice speakers to go with that Prelude.

The Ultima can fit a 120mm fan and perform as good as the other top dog coolers. Go with a 120mm Scythe S-Flex.

What motherboard do you recommend?

One of these: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1223105

Personally, I'd choose the TForce 560, but the DFI would be calling my name.

Not sure about the ECS or the gigbyte boards but I am definitely interested in the asus and DFI board. I was looking for something solid now but it is hard to wait since I need a home computer to do work. I am basically traveling to school and work to use the internet and do homework. I am going to see if I can wait a little longer.

Thanks

You can get the Biostar TForce 560 for now, then sell it once October rolls around.

You can get the Biostar TForce 560 for now, then sell it once October rolls around.

How about a DFI Infinity NF570 board for about $99.99 and replace the raptor with another smaller harddrive from seagate? Another question is, how do you sell your motherboard?:D

The DFI nF570 will work, too. I havent read up on it, so do some research before buying it. DFI's are picky about other parts.

Stick to the 7200.10 PRT line of 'cuda's and you should be fine with HDD speed.

In addition to S-C's suggestions, craigslist for your area would work well, too.

DFIs are indeed picky. I had a DFI board at one point and gave up on it after going through 2 sets of RAM it refused to acknowledge the existence of -- and this was before the current trend toward higher voltage RAM and the whole "won't boot at 1.8vdimm" set of issues. They perform well, when they work, and many people love them (though I've always found the LanParty line obnoxious, personally...) but they seem very... flaky.

Should I wait until mid October now since it looks like the new boards are coming out? What do you guys think of the build so far?

Thanks

Kmat

Which board are you waiting for?

Is your build the same as it was on 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM??

I hear that the new AMD boards will be out in a couple of weeks (R790). I am asking myself should I wait for those or just purchase my things and build.

Kmat

I hear that the new AMD boards will be out in a couple of weeks (R790). I am asking myself should I wait for those or just purchase my things and build.

Kmat

Might be a good idea, at least if you're planning on switching to Phenom soon. I'm going to be waiting for RD790/780 as well.

Will a ATI motheboard work with a Nvidia videocard?

Kmat

Yep, there is no problem between brands with single card configurations. However, if you have a crossfire board, you cannot use SLI, and vice versa.

Yep, there is no problem between brands with single card configurations. However, if you have a crossfire board, you cannot use SLI, and vice versa.

I am not interested in crossfire nor sli. Another question is, do you need cross-fire or SLI to run a 24" display at full resolution?

thanks

Kmat

I am not interested in crossfire nor sli. Another question is, do you need cross-fire or SLI to run a 24" display at full resolution?

2D: no

3D: It depends on how picky you are and how hardcore of a gamer you are, lol. I'd definately keep SLI as an option if you ever see yourself plunking down the $1k for graphics cards. Otherwise, stick to a single GTX or Ultra. Another thing you can do is not play at native resolution, which may look bad, but its all on you.

Back