New Build or Buy Off The Shelf?

ssbsts

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly web browsing, lots of youtube, kids games (mostly flash based), possibly run xbmc or plex server.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500, yes.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, Denver.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Must: CPU, RAM, Mobo, Case, possibly SSD if worth it

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Will reuse: HDD, Optical Drive, Monitor, PSU (Dynex DX-PS500W)

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920 x 1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0, Onboard video (main GPU), HDMI would be nice, SATA 6Gb/s

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

OR

Should I just buy this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/423699/Envy_700-074_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished

I have never purcahsed an off the shelf tower, but just wondering what people's opinions are since I am obviously not building a high-end gaming rig.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
In your situation, maybe buy. That PSU of yours is just too crappy to reuse anywhere else and I'm fairly sure the included PSU in that HP is probably better.

Though I would look at Dells over HP for prebuilt PCs though. Slightly higher quality there.

But just to make sure I'm making the right recommendations: What case could you reuse? What's the model number of that hard drive? Is that DVD drive SATA?

I have 3 or 4 hard drives of varying sizes and brands: Seagate 1.5TB, WD 250GB, and one other that I am not totally sure on. I could probably replace the whole thing. The case could be re-used, but it would be nice maybe to have a smaller form factor. DVD drive is IDE I think, so its pretty old. I am just trying to keep it fairly cheap.

Standard ATX case, but looking at it now i think i would rather replace it. Changed the OP to reflect that.

Just saw that the HP only has a 90 day warranty. That explains why the price is so low for that kind of hardware. Also, how long is the drive to your local Microcenter?

I would buy. I don't think a build would be cost-effective in that price range.

microcenter is very close, so that is not an issue. that HP is a refurb i think, hence the low warranty. seems like buying is more cost effective.

You're better off building since you already have a legit transferable Windows 7 key and the fact that you live near a Microcenter:
$260 - Intel Core i5 4670K + Asus B86M-E/CSM Intel B85 mATX Motherboard Microcenter combo
$70 - Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$40 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$50 - Coolermaster N200 NSE-200-KKN1 mATX Case
----
Total: $441 shipped plus tax on the CPU and motherboard.

As noted earlier, that Dynex PSU isn't good enough to be reused in any PC with any importance. Barely any motherboard these days have IDE so you're going to need a new SATA DVD burner. I went with a small mATX case since you did mention wanting something smaller.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back