New build - need opinions

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi Gents,

First... the requisite questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $1300 CAD tops, before tax
3) Where do you live? Ottawa, Ontario
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, GPU, Mobo, Hard Drives, DVD burner
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Just monitor and peripherals
6) Will you be overclocking? Yes, extensively
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Next few days
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID, good flexibility in overclocking options, SLI is a plus but not a requirement
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit? Yes, Win 7 Ultimate, 64-bit

Doing my first new build in a few years, here's what I've got on the list so far. Opinions are welcome - buying locally from http://pccyber.com (friend is a manager) so prices are based on them, and anything local they can pricematch to (http://canadacomputers.com mainly).

Coolermaster CM 690
Corsair TX 650W PSU
i7 920 CPU
MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
6GB OCZ Gold PC-12800 Triple Channel
2x Seagate HD-ST3500418AS in RAID-0
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
LG DVD Burner
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler

~$1270 CAD before tax, basically top of my budget for this build.

Same case I've already got due to some great wire management and great airflow (and price). I've also seen some absurd OCing results from the MSI Cyclone version of the GTX 460 - guru3d had it at over 800 on core with a minor voltage bump. Hard drives bench at average 100MB/s read/write, hoping for ~150-160MB/s in RAID-0.

The mobo was mainly a price decision, however I've had awesome experiences with Gigabyte as one could probably guess from the builds in my sig. Also considering the ASUS P6T.

Feedback is welcome, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ditch those slow Seagate drives and go with these faster WD drives (these hit 150MB/s each):
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Besides that, looks good to me.

Oh, thanks for the info! Unfortuantely it doesn't look like the new version is available in this neck of the woods but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Back