New Build - Need Input on SSD Storage

TechSoldier

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
259
Putting together a new build and still learning more about SSD options. I'm currently running with two 10k raptor drives but I'm thinking of selling those with my current rig and getting an SSD for the OS and programs while having two 500gb drives in raid 1 for storage of photos, videos, etc.

My question is whether this layout would be optimal for what I'm looking to achieve ona gaming rig and whether the SSD is worth it over my current 10 Raptor Raid Stripe setup. Additionally, any suggestions as to the best value SSDs available would help.

Thanks
 
I've had every Raptor/VRaptor avaliable and there's no comparision to even the slowest SSDs.

That being said, a small 80-150GB SSD for the OS and programs with all storage going to other drives is the best configuration avaliable.

This section of the forum is LOADED with posts such as yours and I suggest you spend some time reading to narrow your SSD price range/size search.

I also suggest you educate yourself on the positive/negative aspects of RAID for a back-up.

Good Luck!
 
Thanks for the reply. Based on what I have read it seems SSD is a lot better hence the reason I have been thinking of using it for my OS/programs drive. As for the RAID setup, although it does have drawbacks (ie: virus could be duplicated on a clean drive, corruption, etc) I like the fact that my data is backup is automatic in the sense that if anything changes, its mirrored instantly. I currently have a single storage drive and I have a bad tendancy of not backing it up to my portable on a regular basis so this is why I have been considering RAID for my storage drives.
 
I like the fact that my data is backup is automatic in the sense that if anything changes, its mirrored instantly.
You mean like those virus/worms/cooties that you were talking about? :)

RAID1 is better than nothing but I guess it just depends upon how much your data is worth to you. :)
 
RAID1 is no protection against corruption, viruses, etc..
Good for hardware failure data loss prevention. But you still need to store an archive on another drive. <-- On RAID1 ;)
 
Haha, very true. Let me ask you this, what is your preferred method of backup?

I have weekly back-ups of my OS on my WHS and a small external 64GBSSD.

The 3TB of server storage is on 2X2TB external drives that use a dock.
 
Backup specific data to my NAS which is RAID1.
Organized by year, month, directory.

Also use TimeMachine every few weeks onto my ext. WD HD just to be extra sure :D

I also use DropBox for my small file / documents storage for backup and sharing between systems.
 
Back
Top