New build need a compatible CPU HS

MOHFLRSEA

n00b
So I have a work in progress build after a badly timed Phenon workstation died.

So far I have a
Antec P280 case
I7-4770K
Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard
Corsair CX500 PSU
WD green 1tb sata 2 and a Vertex 3 SSD sata 3
4x2gb OCZ obsidian 12800 9-9-9
a DVD-rw drive sata 2 i think

This computer is used mostly for school work, but I want it gaming and visual designing capable.

I Plan on adding a gaming video card in a year or so which I'm sure ill need to upgrade my PSU then. But will 500 due without an discrete video card

My one question is I want to best PSU cooler I can get for this 4770K, any suggestions?
I was considering the noctua nh-d14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I also don't know if they will fit my case/mobo, anyone know? I was reading reviews saying they would and some said they would not.

Also any other critique of my build would be appreciated.

If you want a better critque of your build as well as recommendations, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better. With that said, off the bat, ditch the RAM. No good reason to go it with outside of just simple ignorance. It's rated at 1.65V, well above the recommended 1.5V for Intel CPUs.

Also, it seems odd that you're asking for the best CPU HSF possible yet are going with a budget PSU and bad RAM.

the PSU, Ram, SSD, and HD are salvaged, less than a 6 months old and all function perfectly. I'm trying to put together a computer for school asap, and yeah maybe I am ignorant that's why I was asking for opinions. The case was a gift and is brand new.

I'm from Oregon, USA and don't plan on considering Overclocking until i get a decent Video card down the road. the 4770k and mobo hasn't been installed which is why I want to get a good PSU heatsink now so I don't have to upgrade it later.

I am running 3 monitors 2 1080p 60hz and 1 1280x1024 vertically oriented.

Max budget is ~$500 for the remaining parts i need and I already own all the parts I listed above so if possible I'd like to use them until i can afford to do a major upgrade, but I want to buy some high quality and at least above average performance parts.

Do I need different Ram or can I get these OCZ to work with my build at least temporarily?

Will the CX500 suffice using the integrated video?

And What is the best PSU Heatsink that will fit my mobo/case and allow for a room for a higher end video card.

I also already have the OS handled.

the 4770k is already purchased man. Thanks for the advise though

Last edited:
Max budget is ~$500 for the remaining parts i need and I already own all the parts I listed above so if possible I'd like to use them until i can afford to do a major upgrade, but I want to buy some high quality and at least above average performance parts. .
$500? Dude, you can afford a new video card now. Why wait?
Do I need different Ram or can I get these OCZ to work with my build at least temporarily?
Yes you will need diferrent RAM. Besides now is a good time to buy RAM considering that they've been going up in costs over the past year. I recommend this RAM isntead:
$70 - Corsair CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Will the CX500 suffice using the integrated video?
Yes. it'll even suffice if you plan on overclocking and using a single moderately powered GPU.
And What is the best PSU Heatsink that will fit my mobo/case and allow for a room for a higher end video card.
Dude, it's CPU, not PSU. PSU = Power Supply Unit. CPU = Central Processing Unit. That's the 3rd time you've made that mistake in this thread. If you're actually talking about the CPU HSF, then just go for the Corsair H80i. It'll fit and will provide more than enough cooling.

I also already have the OS handled.
Sorry, but I'm going to need you to be clear about the OS. Too many times I've seen people on this forum try to use untransferable Windows key onto their new PCs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm on a tablet sorry autocorrect takes over. my bad on PSU/CPU confusion.

My school provide enterprise and user windows 8/7/xp as well as various other proprietary and educational OSs.

I want to dual boot 7 or 8 and Ubuntu 13.10 but i can do a single OS if necessary which would be 7 or 8.

I was hoping to get a bit better ram like CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866? any suggestions in the 16gb range with 8gb stick.

I want to do some more research regarding the video card upgrade, but if you have any good suggestions please do tell.

Thanks for your info

The Corsair Vengeance Pro is overkill. You're overclocking using the i7-4770K's unlocked CPU multiplier, so there's little reason to mess with the RAM.

If you want a better "deal" on RAM:

$125 - Kingston HyperX blu KHX16C10B1K2/16X 2x8GB DDR3 1600 kit

To keep everything around $500, I recommend the following video card:

$288 - MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE HD 7970 3GB (included 4% discount promo code AFFW103B, ends 10/10)

The Corsair Vengeance Pro is overkill. You're overclocking using the i7-4770K's unlocked CPU multiplier, so there's little reason to mess with the RAM.

If you want a better "deal" on RAM:

$125 - Kingston HyperX blu KHX16C10B1K2/16X 2x8GB DDR3 1600 kit

To keep everything around $500, I recommend the following video card:

$288 - MSI R7970 TF 3GD5/OC BE HD 7970 3GB (included 4% discount promo code AFFW103B, ends 10/10)

Cool I am going to pickup that ram?

Does anyone of know about any high-end CPU heatsink/coolers. or if the octua nh-d14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE fits and are the best coolers for my p280 with the asus z87 pro for the 4770k

Does anyone of know about any high-end CPU heatsink/coolers. or if the octua nh-d14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE fits and are the best coolers for my p280 with the asus z87 pro for the 4770k

What was wrong with my earlier Corsair H80i recommendation?

Cool I am going to pickup that ram?

What do you mean by "pickup that ram"? You're ordering it from Amazon, and it has free ground delivery.

Dangman gave you a better choice: the Corsair H80i. The H80i performs better than the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, which itself performs better than the Noctual NH-D14.

Back