• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build - Looking for Suggestions

MATT0404

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
16
It's been a few years since I built my last PC. I'm pricing out a new build that will be used mainly for Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, and mild gaming. I'm currently using a 21.5" iMac with 3.06ghz c2d and I find it struggling to process my Nikon D800's 40-50mb files.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mainly Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4, web browsing, and mild gaming. Must be able to process 40-50mb files quickly.​
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'm looking to spend around $800-1000 inclusive.​
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Pittsburgh, PA, USA​
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
GPU
RAM
Mobo
Harddrive
Power supply
CPU cooler
Optical drive
OS
Case
Monitor
​
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
NONE​
6) Will you be overclocking?
Mild overclock.​
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Haven't purchased yet.​
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within next few weeks.​
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
No special requirements.​
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No.​

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate your advice.
 
Philly is about 5.5 hrs from me, unfortunately. But....I'm only about 2 hrs from their Cleveland store which might be worth the drive.

As far as overclocking, I've done it with my previous builds but, it's really not necessary. I just know I have a tendency to want a bit more. I'd be happy with less than 500Mhz.
 
Yeah the two hour drive isn't worth the savings. Especially if it's one way.

Here's what I recommend:
EDIT: Gotta fix something.
EDIT 2: All right here's an updated list:
Yeah the two hour drive isn't worth the savings. Especially if it's one way.

$180 - Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
$73 - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$91 - Corsair XMS CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$115 - Sapphire 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$95 - Samsung 840 120GB SSD
$74 - Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case
$96 - Windows 8 64bit
$170 - Asus VS239H-P Black 23" LED IPS Monitor
-----
Total: $1017 shipped

The SSD is for the OS and some of your applications. The HDD is for everything else. The above setup may not get you medium or high settings depending on the game but it's better than nothing
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top