New Build - Looking for improvements

mrtambo22

n00b
Joined
Dec 20, 2008
Messages
10
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Heavy gaming, movies, web browsing, graphics editing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1500-1800 but flexible upwards for any must haves
3) Where do you live?
New York, NY
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Almost a complete build.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing DVD drive and extra hard drives
6) Will you be overclocking?
I may expirement some, but level of expertise in OC is low.
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
40" sony lcd xbr3
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I'd like the ability to SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Current build:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W - $299.99
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $299.99
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $229.00
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $109.99
WD VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - $229.99
PSU - Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V - $149.99
EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 - $344.99

Total: $1,663.94

Any suggestions / improvements would be appreciated. What do you think of the PSU? I guess the goals here are to have the best system I can for my price range. I'd like to be able to play Crysis on max settings and have a system I can build on for the next couple years. This is also my first build so ease of setup is also important. Thanks.
 
Overall build looks good.

But I'd get a Samsung F1 1 TB HDD. It's one of the fastest general purpose HD's around (keeps up with the old WD raptors in many tests), has three times as much storage, runs at low temps (only has 3 platters) and is very quiet. And it is a lot cheaper.

As for the PSU, Antec isn't well known for quality PSU's, although I'm sure they're ok. I'd go for a higher quality PSU, albeit with less wattage. Perhaps a proven PSU from Corsair/Seasonic or Enermax (e.g. Corsair HX620W or Enermax 625W MODU 82+) or similar.

You should also get a decent heatsink like the TRUE (thermal right ultra extreme).

You could consider Antec's newer case, the Antec 1200 instead of the 900 as it provides better cooling, has more options to keep your cables tidy, and gives you more space. And it's also fairly cheap.
 
Let's go with these man and save $200+ from what you just posted in your OP

Option 1 (Antec 1200 full tower case, 750 watt non modular PSU and GTX 280 video card)

Case/Video Card (Combo Deal)- Antec Twelve Hundred + EVGA Geforce GTX 280 1gig($30 MIR) both for $485
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.146949

Cpu/Motherboard (Combo Deal) - Intel Core i7 920 + GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 both for $525
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.147059

Ram - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel for $155 w/fee shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

HDD 1(primary) - WD 6400AAKS 640gig for $75 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W for $120($20 MIR) w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

*PSU is not modular but, with a big case like the Antec 1200, you should have no problems routing the cables. Also, the TX750 has long cables and it would reach the components since the PSU unit is mounted at the bottom of the Antec 1200 case.

Total: $1,360.00


Option 2 (Antec 900 midtower case, 650 watt modular PSU and 4870x2 video card)

Case - Antec 900 Midtower for $80
http://www.provantage.com/antec-nine-hundred~7ANTG049.htm

PSU - Antec NeoPower 650 Blue (modular) for $93 (AMD/ATI certified for 4870x2)
http://www.provantage.com/antec-neopower-650-blue~7ANTS02Y.htm

Cpu/Motherboard (Combo Deal) - Intel Core i7 920 + GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 both for $525
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.147059

Ram - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel for $155 w/fee shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

Video - SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB($20 MIR) for $490 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102768

HDD 1(primary) - WD 6400AAKS 640gig for $75 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218


Total: $1,418.00

Between these 2 builds, I would go with option 1. Although option 2 has a faster video card, the Sapphire Radeon HD 4870x2 only has a 2 year manufacturer warranty.


You can utilize the 90 day step-up program with EVGA by registering your GTX 280 video card. Maybe later on when the EVGA GTX 295 card comes out, you can replace the GTX 280 with that. You only pay the difference between what you paid for the GTX 280 and the GTX 295 video card.
 
After comparing your option 1 and my build I have a couple questions.

Your CPU/Mobo deal cuts about $75 off the build price. The main reason I choose the EVGA mobo is the great reviews it got on newegg and additional bios options. I looked at the gigabyte mobo and it only had 5 reviews, though good wanted to make sure the mobo I chose was well tried and tested. The EVGA board also supports DDR3 1600 RAM, which is another $75 difference in our RAM selection.

Will I notice a significant performance difference with DDR3 1600 vs DDR3 1333? Also there is about a $50 difference between the DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $180 vs. DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $229 is that worth the additional performance?

I'm sold that the VelociRaptor drives are overpriced. I've always been a fan of WD but your reccomendation only has a 16mb cache. So I think I'm leaning towards a different model the Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM ($90). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136283

The step-up program with EVGA is sweet, I'll definetly be taking advantage.

Based on every1s inputs here is the latest build. It cut about $120 but I added Vista ultimate 64:

Intel Core i7 920 - $299.99
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $299.99
CORSAIR DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $229.00 (May downgrade depending on feedback)
Combo:
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 - $484.98
Combo:
Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM♥
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM - $209.98
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V - $119.99

New total: $1,643.93

I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming :)
 
Don't rely on NewEgg reviews, as most of them are written by people who have no clue of what they're talking about. Stick to the hardware review sites -- start here, of course, but there are more listed in the GenHard FAQ -- and check out the "feedback" from other users in forums like this one.

Most likely, HardwareGuru went with the better deal -- hence, the Gigabyte motherboard. But are you planning to perform a major overclock of the processor (to beyond, say, 3.2GHz)? If not, then you should be fine with the Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4... and with DDR3 1333 RAM. The benefit of having faster RAM is simply to allow you to overclock the processor further without having to manually adjust the RAM's speeds or its timings.

The 16MB ("Blue" model) 640GB hard drive can actually compete with the VelociRaptor -- and it can blow away the last-gen Raptor X. Cache size means little towards the hard drive's overall performance compared to platter density and spindle speed. However, I'm not sure whether the 750GB drive is actually faster/better than the already-proven 640GB models.

You don't need Vista Ultimate. You could easily find software -- even freeware -- that can replicate (most, if not all of) the BitLocker drive encryption or the security and networking features of Vista Business. And it's certainly not worth the Vista Ultimate "extras." Stick with Vista Home Premium... unless you've received a much better deal on Vista Ultimate or you already have a copy on hand.

I doubt that you need a second GTX 280, so I also recommend getting a cheaper power supply. You could find at least a couple of good choices -- like the Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-650 (with 45A on its 12V rails) and the BFG Tech LS-680 (with around 52A) -- available for under $100.
 
Thanks for everyones input. Here is my final spec list:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB $89.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W $119.99 ($20 Mail-in rebate)
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $154.99

EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $484.98 ($30 Rebate)

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $504.98

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
ESET NOD32 Antivirus Home Edition V3.0 - OEM $109.98

Subtotal: $1,464.91

Thanks again. I'll submit some pics after the build is finished.
 
Back
Top