New Build, look good?

geno8r

n00b
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
17
My computer has started to crash recently, old cheap power supply I assume (this would be the 3rd one), time for an entire computer upgrade anyway.

Just wanted to run through my anticipated set up & see if people agree, or could recommend any better parts for roughly the same money.

The new system needs to be relatively fast, it is a work machine which I use for at least 8 hours a day. Mostly multimedia programs, high amounts of Photoshop & Flash work. I don’t really play games on my PC anymore since getting a PS3 (I still like GTR2 on PC though).


New Build, rev. 1.00

Case:
Zalman ZMachine GT1000

CPU:
Intel Q6600 Quad Core
Note: Would like to overclock it to what ever is stable.

CPU Cooling:
thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme
+ scythe s-flex 1600
+ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

ATX Power Suply:
Thermaltake ToughPower 750W

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (rev2.0)
Comment: I like the fact is has both DDR2 & DDR3 slots on it, when DDR3 comes down in price I’ll be looking at getting 2 x 2gb sticks I’d say. For now I’ll use the following memory below.

Memory:
Corsair 2048MB (2 x 1024MB) PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM - 4-4-4-12 - TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX
Question: What is better, 6400C4DHX non EPP but with dual path heath eXchange, or the 6400C4 with EPP? I wouldn't mind overclocking the memory a tad i guess, never have before.

Video Card:
Comment: Not sure yet to be honest yet. I run dual DVI monitors, 23” 1920 x 1200 + 17” 1280 x 1024
Suggestions on a video card competent to do the job would be appreciated.

OS:
Question: Currently run XP, would like to hear recommendations for a new OS, I'm guessing something 64bit? XP or Vista 64bit? Pros / Cons?

The rest of the parts will be from my existing set up... Burner drives, 4 x SATA HDDs,

Opinions? Recommendations? Potentials issues?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
 
I can't answer your memory question, but my recommendation is to save some money on the q6600 proc since its NOT a true quad core, its 2 dual-cores.

Judging by what your looking at buying, I would recommend a 8800gtx for a video card, since money isn't too much of an issue.

As far as mobo goes, I just wanted to say that I have had nothing but bad luck with gigabyte mainboards, so I wont be able to give you an unbiased answer.

Operating system, since you wont be gaming much except for gtr2, vista should float your boat (especially since sp1 is coming q1 2008). I play gtr2 on vista all the time with no issues, and open office is awesome.

I think you might be going a little overboard on the psu, but better to put in a good one then a pos one that will frie your system.
 
Stick with the Q6600, it's a great processor. It's incredibly easy to overclock to 3 GHz and beyond (no guarantees, of course).

Go with the 8800 GT or GTX for the video card, depending on how much you're willing to spend.

Windows XP is fine, since you've already got it. Get 64-bit Vista if/when you decide to upgrade to 4 GB RAM.

I can't really comment on that motherboard or memory.
 
I can't answer your memory question, but my recommendation is to save some money on the q6600 proc since its NOT a true quad core, its 2 dual-cores.

Judging by what your looking at buying, I would recommend a 8800gtx for a video card, since money isn't too much of an issue.

As far as mobo goes, I just wanted to say that I have had nothing but bad luck with gigabyte mainboards, so I wont be able to give you an unbiased answer.

Operating system, since you wont be gaming much except for gtr2, vista should float your boat (especially since sp1 is coming q1 2008). I play gtr2 on vista all the time with no issues, and open office is awesome.

I think you might be going a little overboard on the psu, but better to put in a good one then a pos one that will frie your system.

While it is true that current Intel Quad Cores are really 2 dual cores, for most applications that doesn't make much of a difference as far as I know. About the only issue is the extra heat they generate cause of the design.

Also, considering his needs (no PC gaming, heavy 2d work with photoshop and flash, I can't see the justification in spending 500+ for a 8800GTX. With his requirements I might be reluctant to even go with an 8800GT as it just doesn't sound like he needs it. Now he may not need a Q6600 either, but for his purposes he is far more likely to need quad core than a big graphics card. Something like the 8600GT actually would probably fit his needs. It still has 2 DVI outs, can probably still run GTR2 fine, and has some extra multimedia/HD capability. Get an 8800GT if you want something a bit more 'future-proof', it isn't very far off from the 8800GTX in performance, or you could wait for the newer parts to come out at least. Getting an 8800GTX right now seems to be a bad idea though.

In regards to the Ram, Intel chips don't make a ton of use out of memory bandwidth greater than the FSB, so you really don't need high performance ram, especially with a Q6600. And since you won't be overclocking the ram if you stay in a 1:1 ratio, you can probably make due with something like this 2x1 GB Kit or if you are going for 64 bit, get a 2x2 Kit like this one from G.Skill. G.Skill has a pretty good reputation around here, and so far their ram has been great for me at least. Corsair is nice but at this point their ram seems to be a bit overpriced compared to the competition, mostly on the strength of their name, but since C2D's came out they don't benefit that much from Corsair's strongpoints.

I'd go ahead and jump on Vista 64Bit, it's come a long way in compatability. Do check if your printer, scanners, and/or other perhipherals are compatabile though before jumping to it. Home Premium should fit most of your needs, but take a look at their comparison page and see if there is anything you need from other versions. For most people Home Premium is sufficient.

I don't think getting a combo DDR2/DDR3 board is worthwhile at the moment. Paying 20 more bucks compared to the regular DS3R for 2 DDR3 DIMM slots seems a waste, and I'm not sure how much you'll really benefit with your current set up from DDR3 either, by the time something might take advantage of its higher speeds, you'll probably need a new motherboard and processor anyway. I'd say get the regular DS3R. You can also consider the Abit IP35 or IP35 Pro, or the Asus P5K-E, depending on your specific needs like RAID, firewire, number of SATA ports, etc.

Interesting choice on your case, I hadn't looked at it before this. It seems like a good case, nice worksmanship and some interesting features for tool-less working, but the use of 2 92mm fans for intake is a bit meh to me. It woulda been nice if there was an intake not blocked immediately by the hard drive cage and if it was a single 120mm instead of 2 92mm. It is a certainly expensive case also, but if you like it then go for it, cases are probably the most personal choice you make on your computer.
 
If you have XP now and can transfer it to the new system (its a non-OEM license), then stick with it if you don't want to upgrade to Vista. A 64-bit Windows OS isn't really needed, still, and the only real advantage you'd have is being able to use all 4GB of RAM. XP 64-bit is a waste of time/money, so don't even bother. Stick with 32-bit XP or upgrade to Vista 64-bit... its actually a pretty good OS from what I hear (and thats coming from tech savvy people) -- make sure your peripherals all have drivers, though.

I agree, if you need a system now, the Q6600 performs great, overclocked or not. Yorkfield chips are the same as Kentsfield in the sense that they're two dual cores stuck together. The Kentsfield is two Conroes, and the Yorkfield is two Wolfdales. Being a native quadcore won't impact performance much. What will impact performance are the larger L2 Cache, the added shared L3 cache, higher stock FSB, smaller manuf. process (requires less voltage, which in turn runs cooler; hence, a better overclocker). Waiting for a native quadcore isn't worth it if you need a system now. The Q6600 will last you a while.

I don't think DDR3 will boost performance much at all, so I'd suggest ditching the C version of the DS3R. I think that by the time DDR3 is worth buying over DDR2, it will be time for a new mobo/cpu -- most likely a Nehalem CPU with an on-chip memory controller. Though, its only $20 more, and if that isn't much for you, then knock yourself out.

I have the non-C version of the DS3R, and it works great. I've built over a dozen systems using this line of mobos from Gigabyte, and havent had any real issues with them. Good alternatives would be the IP35 Pro from Abit and the P5K or P5K-E from Asus.

If you're not gaming at all, a $35 7200GS is all you need.

You won't notice the difference between CL4 and CL5 RAM, so don't pay a huge price premium for lower latency. Since you do a lot of photoshop, go with 4GB G.Skill 2x2GB PK kit. You won't need to OC the RAM at all, as Anchen said, intel platforms perform best at 1:1 ratios. With DDR2-800, you'll be running the CPU at 3.6Ghz before you'd need to OC the RAM. EPP is for the lazy people who don't want to set the timings manually in the BIOS -- don't pay extra for it.
 
Yeah, I didn't see that it's not for gaming. Any low/midrange card with dual monitor support should be fine.
 
Thanks for the posts everyone, much appreciated. I have revised my set up.

New Build, rev. 1.10
*Edit

Case:
Zalman ZMachine GT1000
Comment: I like the fact is has 2 fans at the front to cool down the HDDs.

CPU:
Intel Q6600 Quad Core

CPU Cooling:
thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme
+ scythe s-flex 1600
+ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

ATX Power Suply:
Thermaltake ToughPower 750W

*Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev2.0)

*Memory:
G.Skill 4GB (2GB x 2) PC2-6400 DDR2 800 PQ CL 5-5-5-15 RAM
Comment: Shame newegg doesn’t ship to Australia, the cheapest I can get here is $320 AU. This RAM seems to be so much cheaper in the USA.

*Video Card:
8800 GT 512mb
Question: Who is the best manufacturer of this model?

*OS:
I’m going to give Vista x64 a go, yet to decide which version.

Cheers
 
For your needs, Vista Home Premium should be good enough.

As for the 8800GT manufacturers, EVGA does get a lot of recommendations due to their support as well as XFX for their double lifetime warranty.

Other than that, looks good to me. The only thing I have a slight problem with is the case. Remember that cases are a personal choice item, meaning that it's up to the user's tastes. Your tastes are maybe different from mine but I have to say, that case is ugly. To me anyway. No that does not mean you have to change cases.

There are many many cases out there that have fans in front to cool down the hard drives.
 
Thanks Danny, I’ll look into those options.

I actually agree that I don't think a whole lot of the case visually, but I love its internal HDD rack systems, it’s nice & big, & looks to have quite good air flow.

If you can recommend any other great cases though, I'm open ears.

Cheers
 
Thanks Danny, I’ll look into those options.

I actually agree that I don't think a whole lot of the case visually, but I love its internal HDD rack systems, it’s nice & big, & looks to have quite good air flow.

If you can recommend any other great cases though, I'm open ears.

Cheers

Just a few case recommendations, (Sorry that the links are to American stores)
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $80
Antec Sonata III ATX Case - $114
Antec Nine Hundred ATX Case - $120
Antec P180 ATX Case - $120
Antec P180B ATX Case - $125
Antec P182 ATX Case - $129
Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS Full Tower ATX Case - $137
Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS Full Tower ATX Case - $150
Coolermaster COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case - $170
LIAN-LI PC-V1100A PLUS II - $220
 
Thanks for the links again Danny.

I've had a good look through, but I'm still sold on the Zalman ZMachine GT1000. Looks aside, it's the best air flowing case I've seen, sucks in cool air from the bottom front, displaces it at the top rear, no other cases I’ve seen are set up efficiently as the GT1000 in my opinion. Other cases with up to 7 Internal fans equates to just circulating hot air internally if there’s no effective intake / outtake case system.

The case has exceptional build quality, innovative features, & I especially like the fact that the HDDs are cooled first, my HDDs are very important so this has been a big selling point for me. Once I have the case I'll never need to upgrade again also (for ATX at least).

Cheers
 
Arent the HDD's cooled first in most cases? The airflow design of the Zalman looks standard to me. Maybe I'll read some reviews again, lol... I may just be too sleepy to see whats so special about that case. Though, I agree, cases are very subjective, so go with whatcha like.
 
Yes most probably in a lot of cases enginurd, but most cases don't have an open air mesh design at the front like the GT1000 :)

Here's a video review link for you http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/9682/103/
Not a bad review, but I disagree about the HDD cage blocking cool air going in, it simply goes in around / over the HDDs effectively cooling them via its journey into the main area of the case, quite a positive factor I think, the air is certainly not going back out the fans at the front just because its cooling the HDDs first! :| :)
 
Since you are taking suggestions for cases I am going to pitch the case I chose personally the Silverstone TJ09. While I don't have that big an issue with the case you choses features (it does seem rather expensive though, although the reviews I have read said the build quality is quite nice, with thick aluminum all the way around). The TJ09 doesn't have as thick of side panels as the zalman, nor does it have quite as simple a HDD rack system, and it isn't tool-less to work in either. What it does have is the same overall great build quality though, it is all aluminum the same as the Zalman, has an intake that bypasses the hard drives, a removable motherboard tray, and in my opinion personally it looks great. You can also add two fans at the top of the case for either additional exhausts or intakes, and you can add a fan in the HDD area to intake air from the bottom of the case. And you can technically get it for about 100 dollars less than the Zalman. Either way, choose what you like, since cases are one of the things that if you like the one you have you can actually keep it around for a long time in the computer world.
 
Since you are taking suggestions for cases I am going to pitch the case I chose personally the Silverstone TJ09. ...

I'd strongly agree with a TJ-09 over the GT1000. It just looks a lot better for about the same money. I also like the case layout better... with the PSU on the bottom.

... most cases don't have an open air mesh design at the front like the GT1000 :)

...I disagree about the HDD cage blocking cool air going in...

Many, if not all, Cooler Master cases use this open air mesh front design -- in case you were looking for alternatives (CM Cosmos or Stacker series).

Actually, that orientation of the drive bay has been known to not cool as effectively as the standard orientation -- IIRC, this was investigated with the Antec cases (Sonata, P160, Super Lanboy, ETC). While it makes for easy drive access, less air actually flows through such designs due to the hardware required for the HDD rack, and the HDDs run a bit hotter. I'm too lazy to look for the reviews, but I'm just re-itterating what I've read over the past few years. Now if only that HDD rack was mesh... lol.

I actually have a Sonata (both I and II) and the P160W (oh, and the Centurion 534 uses this same orientation -- which I also own, lol), and I can tell you that the drives are a few degrees warmer in those cases than in a standard case, like my Lian-Li PC-7/PC-60 or Centurion 5 (however, my coolest running drives are actually in my CM Stacker TC01). Nonetheless, I as you can tell, the temperature difference doesnt phase me at all, since I have an abundance of both styles, lol. No, it doesnt block all the cool air coming in, but it does reduce it a bit -- enough so that I need to increase intake with either a higher fan speed, or an additional sidefan. The good thing about the Zalman is that it uses 2x 92mm fans in the front, as opposed to most of the other cases that use 1x 120mm for the HDDs. Still, for that much money, I'd go with the TJ-09... especially because the side-doors are hinged on the Zalman. Sorry for babbling on and on and on and on...
 
Yes most probably in a lot of cases enginurd, but most cases don't have an open air mesh design at the front like the GT1000 :)

Well as enginurd has pointed out, many CM cases have an open air mesh design. The CM 690 that I linked to has that design feature. Same with the Antec 900.

Not a bad review, but I disagree about the HDD cage blocking cool air going in, it simply goes in around / over the HDDs effectively cooling them via its journey into the main area of the case, quite a positive factor I think, the air is certainly not going back out the fans at the front just because its cooling the HDDs first! :| :)

The hard drives aren't being cooled very efficiently and effectively. Think about it. In many cases with the hard drive cage parallel to the case, there's little if any obstruction of airflow other than the hard drives themselves. With the hard drive cage perpendicular to the case, you have parts of the hard drive cage obstructing the airflow.

This photo shows what I'm talking about:
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/zalman_z-machine_gt1000_review/img/23.jpg

Look at how there are only a few airholes in the side of the hard drive cage facing the fan.You can see that there are mostly solid pieces facing the fan.

With that said, I happen to like having the hard drives perpendicular to the case. Like Enginurd said, it does allow for easy drive access and, in my experience, slightly easier to hide cables. And frankly, I think it looks cool. :)
 
Think about it. In many cases with the hard drive cage parallel to the case, there's little if any obstruction of airflow other than the hard drives themselves. With the hard drive cage perpendicular to the case, you have parts of the hard drive cage obstructing the airflow.

Also, with the standard orientation, the drive is in the direct path of the fan, so its cooled better. Whereas with the rotated orientation, the HDD rack gets cooled better than the HDDs themselves. The rack hardware is in the direct path, no longer the drives... sure, there are airholes, but still... its not enough.
 
Back
Top