New build: Lian Li-PC-Q08, ZOTAC H67 itx

killakris

n00b
Hey guys..this will be my second time building a computer. First time I built was using the E6600 processor back in my college days.
I wanted this to be small (i move around alot) M-atx or ITX.
I dont plan on overclocking so i decided to go with the i7 not the i5 also motherboard wont allow it.

99.99% Final!!
cpu: i7-2600
motherboard: ZOTAC H67 itx
case: Lian Li Q08
memory: 2x G.SKILL DDR3 4GB PC3-10600
odd: Samsung Superwritemaster s223l
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560Ti
harddrive: 2x OCZ Vertex2 series SSD (60GB)
psu: SilverStone Strider Plus 600w Modular

i'll post pics up while building

Last edited:
New case arrived...its pretty light since its aluminum.

sebypw.jpg

j66bsg.jpg

11jx2yv.jpg

29uyur7.jpg

9usp5h.jpg

Hey, I've been scooped! I posted PC-Q08 for Sandy Bridge media server &etc using the Zotac H67-ITX-A-E board 16 hours after killakris' post. I wondered why it was met with crashing silence...... Maybe I've got body odor....... Maybe I posted to the wrong thread.

I'm moving it here:

Hello, all -

I'm building a server for several tasks (some of these tasks are in the half baked design stage): DLNA media server, terminal server, network storage, etc., etc. This is an evolutionary endeavor: It's an amateur thing, for the love of it.

I've made some hardware and software decisions, the earliest being to use mini-ITX and the Lian-Li PC-Q08A silver case. OS will be Windows Server 2008 R2.

I've lurked about the Lian-Li PC-Q08A silver case thread a few days, rewarding to me as I've incorporated ideas gleaned there into my decisions. THANK YOU!!

Here's how my hardware choices are shaping up:
All of this stuffed into a PC-Q08A case.

I'll wait a few months before building. Sandy Bridge only went 'gold' a few weeks ago. I haven't yet seen the Zotac board offered except on one or two obscure sites which leads me to suspect those may be engineering samples. Invariably the board's BIOS will be updated and become more stable over time. Bleeding Edge: been there, done that.

Of course, if any young whippersnappers (er, top guns) care to barge in, I'm happy to learn from your experience.

Regards,
Harry

P.S. A tech at Zotac said the board should be released (in the U.S.A.) mid-February.

Last edited:
Two things that will help you get noticed...

get your own thread
pictures. Every build log is dead useless without them.

Hey, I've been scooped! I posted PC-Q08 for Sandy Bridge media server &etc using the Zotac H67-ITX-A-E board 16 hours after killakris' post. I wondered why it was met with crashing silence...... Maybe I've got body odor....... Maybe I posted to the wrong thread.

I'm moving it here:

Hello, all -

I'm building a server for several tasks (some of these tasks are in the half baked design stage): DLNA media server, terminal server, network storage, etc., etc. This is an evolutionary endeavor: It's an amateur thing, for the love of it.

I've made some hardware and software decisions, the earliest being to use mini-ITX and the Lian-Li PC-Q08A silver case. OS will be Windows Server 2008 R2.

I've lurked about this thread a few days, rewarding to me as I've included ideas gleaned here into my decisions. THANK YOU!!

Here's how my hardware choices are shaping up:
All of this stuffed into a PC-Q08A case.

Likely I'll wait a few months before building. Sandy Bridge only went 'gold' a few weeks ago. I haven't yet seen the Zotac board offered except on one or two obscure sites which leads me to suspect those may be engineering samples. Invariably the board's BIOS will be updated and become more stable over time. Bleeding Edge: been there, done that.

Of course, if any young whippersnappers (er, top guns) care to barge in, I'm happy to learn from your experience.

Regards,
Harry

P.S. A tech at Zotac said the board should be released (in the U.S.A.) mid-February.

Two things that will help you get noticed...

get your own thread
pictures. Every build log is dead useless without them.

Seems correct to group similar builds in the same discussion thread: for comparision, debating parts, &etc. Pics will come in time - the board's not out yet!

I put in a lot of time choosing those parts. I'd like to hear: what do you think?

Harry

Last edited:
Amazing power supply but why AX750 when you are not even going to use a dedicated graphics card.. Are you planning to do other future builds with that PSU?

Ps. My plan is also stuffing the AX750 in the q08 case

hjacobson
I dont understand why your posting your build on my thread lol
Get your own!

UPDATE: I was thinking about the new evga board but decided to go with ZOTAC because of the notebook ram.

Just recieved couple new items today. Will post up pics after work tonight.

Got back from work...

29xsm6w.jpg

ztis8k.jpg

2h6rgpx.jpg

I'm kinda in a dilemma...
I was going to get a 6950 but im thinking about getting a GTX 460 and wait for nvidia kepler... read it was coming out this year.
The only game I will be playing is Tera online and Starcraft 2.
Should I just settle down for GTX 460 and upgrade later on this year?

my kitchen area :D
jpfqeh.jpg

Last edited:
GTX560 or GTX570 There. I said it :p

But honestly I think either wait for the 560, or get the 570 :)

Definitely the 560 Ti

I'm doing a very similar build using the same case and board with the i5 2390T for a WHS but I'll restrain myself from posting my build log on your thread. LoL

Definitely the 560 Ti

I'm doing a very similar build using the same case and board with the i5 2390T for a WHS but I'll restrain myself from posting my build log on your thread. LoL

After checking our reviews for the 560 Ti, I have decided to go with the 560 Ti.

Recall is vendor specific. The issue does indeed affect ALL Cougar Point (H67/P67) motherboards currently in existance. The new stepping chips will start making rounds in April, if the Gagabyte press relase on this is to be relied upon as a time guage...

Just wait to see if Zotac issues a recall, or simply issues a new board rev while silently killing off the old ones.

All the currently shipped chipsets have a 5% chance of pressenting the issue. Recall is vendor specific but the problem may arise on any board of any vendor.

If you use the 6gbps ports you should be fine so unless you bought this board for a NAS or you plan to use more than 2 sata ports you should be fine.

Even if I wasn't gonna use it for NAS I'd ask for a replacement.

What gave it away? :D
Yes I'm in Seoul at the moment.
Babixg^^^ I bought it from Yongsan computer store.

The kitchen cabinet/that appliance under the sink overall just has that korean look lol
like my aunts house :D:D I was just there 2 months ago.

After hearing the recall, i decided to halt and wait till intel gets the board fixed. Glad I didnt order the motherboard...
Since I have to wait, I decided to wait for a p67 chip for mini-itx.

For the CPU, i'll get the i7-2600K end of this week.

Updated*
cpu: i7-2600K
motherboard: tbd
case: Lian Li Q08
memory: 2x G.SKILL DDR3 4GB PC3-10600
odd: Samsung Superwritemaster s223l
GPU: tbd
harddrive: 1x OCZ Vertex2 series SSD (60GB) + 640gb WD Black
psu: SilverStone Strider Plus 600w Modular
cooler: Cooler Master Gemin II
Window 7 64-bit

Waiting for motherboard, gpu, cpu

so4g43.jpg

Do you think the GeminII S cooler would fit with the Zotac board you wanted to use originally without blocking the PCI-E slot?

Do you think the GeminII S cooler would fit with the Zotac board you wanted to use originally without blocking the PCI-E slot?

I don't have the zotac board yet, but I do have the geminii and did lots of measurements. It should fit by about half a millimeter :). But if needed you can slightly bend the cooler.

So in total: Yes, you can make it fit, and i think it is the best cooler for that board. You can also use the original GeminII (non-S) turned 180°, but you have to bend it a bit more (is no problem with bare hands).

regards
mariachi76

I don't have the zotac board yet, but I do have the geminii and did lots of measurements. It should fit by about half a millimeter :). But if needed you can slightly bend the cooler.

So in total: Yes, you can make it fit, and i think it is the best cooler for that board. You can also use the original GeminII (non-S) turned 180°, but you have to bend it a bit more (is no problem with bare hands).

regards
mariachi76

That's great news! I think I'm going to try the GeminII S then. Thanks for the info!

Maybe a stupid question, but as I never did this before I have to ask. Won't plastic melt if the temperature goes high enough?

Maybe a stupid question, but as I never did this before I have to ask. Won't plastic melt if the temperature goes high enough?

It depends on the plastic. With a part of a PET-bottle (your normal coke bottle) you should do fine. It melts above 230°C, and your CPU cooler probably wont get hotter than 80°C.

I chose the suriken for my build, because the mounting bracket could be bent to fit the board much better. Now my Shuriken clears my GPU by a half centimeter, and my GPU has a backplate installed to it!!

Has anyone gotten ahold of one of these boards yet? how tight are the cpu coolers? What kind of temps are you getting?

Last edited:
Back