New build lagging when installing updates or software

My specs are listed below:

Intel i5 12400
16GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
256GB Western Digital Green M.2 SSD
MSI B660 Mortar MATX motherboard
MSI MAG A650BN 650W 80+ Bronze Power Supply

As the title of the thread states, I have a major and annoying issue when Windows Update running in the background or installing something will result in my PC running extremely slow, sluggish and takes a while to respond. Any ideas what is causing this? I believe it is a hardware problem as I have performed a fresh install of both Windows 10 and 11 will exhibit the exact same issue when an installation is running in the background will cause my PC to run very slowly.

I have already tested out two different hard drives, the exact issue still remains. Have also tried running one memory stick in each DIMM slot has the same result.

make sure your bios and chipset drivers are up to date. get the driver from intel not msi.

You have likely narrowed it down to either the CPU or mobo. Does anything else exhibit these problems other than WU?

Maybe you can search reviews for that motherboard to see if it's a common problem.

I suspect it's probably the motherboard is at fault not to mention one of the M2 slots isn't functioning either, I have sent my entire PC to the store where I purchased the parts for warranty and diagnosis.

I've already updated all the drivers and BIOS to the latest version without success as the issue is still persisting, never have I've seen this issue where installing or Windows Update running in the background will cause my PC to a complete crawl.

I suspect it's probably the motherboard is at fault not to mention one of the M2 slots isn't functioning either, I have sent my entire PC to the store where I purchased the parts for warranty and diagnosis.

I've already updated all the drivers and BIOS to the latest version without success as the issue is still persisting, never have I've seen this issue where installing or Windows Update running in the background will cause my PC to a complete crawl.
If one of the M.2 slots is not working it is highly likely the mobo is defective to some degree. These kind of weird problems are often either the CPU or Mobo being defective in my experience. A defective CPU can do some truly funny stuff that is really difficult to narrow down sometimes.

If the M.2 slot is not working is it one of those situations where it's a Gen3 in a Gen4 slot, or would that still work but at Gen3?

Could be that bottom - end capacity drive running out of buffer?

Most QLC SSDs suck once you run out of cache, and you've already castrated performance by going with the lowest-end Green! Go with this TLC:

https://www.microcenter.com/product...read-write-speed-up-to-2900-mbps-and-950-mbps
Having used QLC before, I have never encountered what the op is talking about. QLC performance issues are way overblown.

Have you tried downloading the WD SSD app and running diagnostics/firmware upgrade?

Having used QLC before, I have never encountered what the op is talking about. QLC performance issues are way overblown.

Have you tried downloading the WD SSD app and running diagnostics/firmware upgrade?

Yeah, and how big were the drives? m .2 is no faster than SaTA when you are flash cell limited. He's buying the lowest-capacity drive in the range, and not expecting the inherent performance hit once it runs out of cache (on smaller drivers, the amount of cache is tiny)

The old Green SATA drives used TLC, but these QLC (plus no DRAM) means the performance hits a wal once you saturate cache.

Last edited:
I've tried 2 different drives, one SATA and the Western Digital which is a M2 drive, the issue is still persisting which pretty much rules out that the drive is suppose to function correctly. My PC is currently at the PC store where I purchased the parts and unfortunately I need to wait for them to diagnose the issue which may take a while.

Back