New build in Sept

lt_wentoncha

Limp Gawd
Friends,

Need some advice for a computer build for when I return from the sandbox.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Purely gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$3000 with tax and shipping
3) Where do you live?
Mississippi

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo
CPU
Memory
HDD
Graphics Card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
900W Corsair
128GB Crucial SSD
1.5 TB HDD
Bluray RW Drive
DVD-RW Drive

6)
Will you be overclocking?
I am feeling a bit audacious, and am willing to entertain watercooling for this build
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
2x 21" and 1x 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sept-Oct of this year
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Looking for two gfx cards in a non-SLI or Crossfire configuration, I usually get a mid-top level card and a crappy card to drive the third monitor
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OEM on my old box - would I need to buy another even if I reformat and put linux on the box? If so, factor in the cost to the budget

TYIA

Need some advice for a computer build for when I return from the sandbox.
Hope you make it back safe and sound!
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
900W Corsair
There's never been a 900W Corsair. Did you mean a 950W Corsair?

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sept-Oct of this year
Too soon to start planning a build as our parts recommendations can change in a matter of weeks. Thus any list we come up today will not be the same recommendations a month from now let alone several months from now. As such, if you want up-to-date advice and information, your best bet would be to ask for advice 2-3 weeks before your actual buy date.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OEM on my old box - would I need to buy another even if I reformat and put linux on the box? If so, factor in the cost to the budget
From a legal standpoint, technically yes.

Hope you make it back safe and sound!

At least he has a legit copy from the start. You can get pirated copies all over the sandbox for $3, down from the $5 they used to be. But yes, a new legit versions would be the proper way to go. Besides MS is getting better at catching the Activation Codes. Too many of the same one and they will deny the activation. (heard about that from some of the soldiers here)

I keep hearing that OEM copies of Windows somehow get "tied" to your motherboard, CPU, etc. I have yet to see any proof of this in any EULA anywhere.

When you install Windows XP-7 on a computer, and get an error when trying to activate online, you call the Microsoft Activation Center. They ask you

Rep: "Is this copy of Windows installed on any other machine?".
You: "No."
Rep: "Ok, here is your activation code..."

Doesn't matter if the disc is OEM or boxed retail. They only care about one installed copy per key. I've activated Windows over the phone more times than I could count since XP, and never had an issue with it.

WAYYYY to early to ask about a build in September. Either build now or check back in August

Well friends,

Finally back safe and sound. What say you now the build proposed in the above? Please let me know, thanks.

Before I make suggestions, where at in MS?

Do you plan on gaming on all three monitors at once? (You have enough budget to if you wanted)
What is the use for a new HDD? Just storage?

In the Jackson area. I don't think I actually need a new HDD, my SSD and 1 TB should be plenty for me.

Thanks again.

You never answered my original question: There's never been a 900W Corsair. Did you mean a 950W Corsair?

If you are focused mainly on gaming, I'd go with a 2500K and pair that with a Z68 motherboard and 8 GB of DDR3-1600. I've been a fan of Gigabyte boards in recent generations, but their lack of UEFI limits them this time around, Asus, MSI and ASRock are all good choices.

I'm pretty sure it's a 950. Thanks.

In that case then, here's what I recommend:
$220 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
$165 - Asus P8Z68-VP8Z68-V Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard
$96 - 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$275 - XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB PCI-E Video Card + Deux Ex Human Revolution Combo
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
---
Total: $786 plus tax and shipping.

The above setup is really all you need for gaming. Lemme know if you want to spend more money on overkill.

Also what case will you be using?

Back