New build in progress

SatTech

2[H]4U
Retiring my i7 920 system and replacing with this:

NewBuild.jpg

The processors (5645s) and 2 ea 128 gig SSDs should be here tonight. It's going to be a late one!

Now that is how you annouce a new build! Well done my friend!

It's going to be a dual loop set up, with the 2 480GTXs on one and the CPUs and chipset on the 2nd.

I'll take pictures as I progress.

As an aside, what's the state of Windows BigAdv? I've got a pair of linux boxes running them, but this is a Windows (gaming and daily driver) box. Can a VM bet set up to take advantage of 24 cores?

As an aside, what's the state of Windows BigAdv? I've got a pair of linux boxes running them, but this is a Windows (gaming and daily driver) box. Can a VM bet set up to take advantage of 24 cores?

I believe that jebo got a VirtualBox VM running on a dual hex SR-2 that does better than the current native Windows client. I think there is even a thread on how to do it.

Edit: Found it - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037529274#post1037529274

I just built a very similar rig, looks like that case is superior to the PC-P80N, oh well heh. mine

Also will give musky's link a try, I am currently using the windows client...hmm...

very nice indeed! we want pics every step of the way. :cool:

That's the plan... Unfortunately right now, the machine it's replacing (and donor of most of the rest of the parts) is about 7 hours from competion on a BigAdv unit. I debated copying the folder and picking up where it left off with this machine, but I'm going to let it finish before I shut it down. I really don't want to lose 2.5 days of work.

I'll do as much as I can tonight tho...

I have the same case and same mobo. :D No WC, just three fans in the top to help exhaust the heat.

Looks like it will be a good build.

Bee-Yoo-Ti-Full ! Ya more pics and maybe some early ppd numbers please. Wish I could go for one of those right now, haven't had a dual socket since the Pentium III days. Hmmm, lotto this week is 50 mil ...

Good to see people still doing new SR-2 builds. As much of a headache (in a good way I guess) the platform can be to fully maximize the tweak on, it is still one of my favorite platforms of all time. :cool:

Wow, looking good so far already! Haha. Can't wait to see the updates!

Bloody hell, wire management is somewhat of a PITA with this board. Well, at least trying to make it look neat. Almost finished getting everything put together, but it's stopping time... My back is killing me from sitting on the floor... Been taking pictures, but no editing software on my laptop.

I agree that even though the 4x G34 systems produce more than 2x more PPD, I love my Sr2. It's about as sexy as a pc can get. Wire management is a lost cause IMHO. With all those extra pcie connectors and even the floppy connector for the USB.

At 3.6ghz a bigbeta Wu in a Linux VM is good for about 140k PPD. Normal bigadv units produce about 100k PPD.

I just built a very similar rig, looks like that case is superior to the PC-P80N, oh well heh. mine

Also will give musky's link a try, I am currently using the windows client...hmm...
Nice! Glad to have you in the team!

Got everything set up and running. Need to order some more bits and pieces to neaten up thw W/C loops. As soon as I get Photoshop Elements installed, I'll edit the pictures and post them up.

Just a quick BCLK O/C to 3.4 (with turbo) and running fine. I'm working on a 2686 with 15 min TPF. No PPD numbers yet, as this is a continuation of a unit I picked up 2 days ago on the 920, so the bonus is off.

Temps are 40-41C with all cores loaded 100%.

Pictures as promised. When I get the parts to neaten things up, I'll post an 'installed' picture.

Blocks mounted. I ended up rotating one of the CPU blocks 180 deg.
SR-2-BlocksMounted.jpg

Motherboard in the case with nothing else.
SR-2-EmptyCase.jpg

Mocking things up.
SR-2-MockUp.jpg

Setting up the W/C loops
SR-2-LoopSetUp.jpg

SR-2-LoopSetUp2.jpg

SR-2-LoopSetUp3.jpg

SR-2-LoopSetUp4.jpg

very nice

so, are my eyes deceiving me, or did you decide to put the chipsets in the loop with the GPUs?

very nice

so, are my eyes deceiving me, or did you decide to put the chipsets in the loop with the GPUs?

Yep, chipset loop with the GPUs. I don't game very much on this computer, don't run the GPU clients, and when I do game, I shut down FAH.

The GPUs are on a 480 rad and the CPUs are on a 360 rad.

My chipsets and power mosfets are on my GPU loop, GPU still never see's above 45C during the most intense games. is fine :)

When I ran the GPU clients, I never saw more than 47c on the gpus. Fully loaded, the CPUs are between 43 and 45C right now. I haven't started bumping up the voltage for a better OC yet. Going to work here in a day or 2 for 6 weeks, so I'm not going to start tweeking right now.

Welp, I installed VirtualBox running Unbutu. It pegs all 24 'cores'. Currently working on a 6903. TPF is 37 minutes for 114000 PPD. CPU's are clocked at 3.4 ghz right now. Not a bad IMHO.

Welp, I installed VirtualBox running Unbutu. It pegs all 24 'cores'. Currently working on a 6903. TPF is 37 minutes for 114000 PPD. CPU's are clocked at 3.4 ghz right now. Not a bad IMHO.

Wow.. wish I got that kind of PPD! Oh ya and really nice progress on the build! Keep those pictures coming!

for reference I'm getting 31:54 tpf for 146k ppd on mine running 3.6ghz on the linuxforge vm

Wow.. wish I got that kind of PPD! Oh ya and really nice progress on the build! Keep those pictures coming!

I start my next 6 week hitch tomorrow, but need to order some more W/C parts to really finish up the build. I just popped one of the fan covers off the top of the case and ran my 4 lines to/from the rads through the hole. I'm going to order a few bulkhead penetrators and some compression fittings to make it all pretty.

BTW, here's the rads. They're mounted in the wall and blow through into the water heater closet in the adjacent bathroom, where it travels up into the attic. I still need to finish it out with some nice moulding (i've been saying this for 6 months now....)

RadBoxes.jpg

Yah well $499 for the board... and another grand or so for processors... I am retired and living on a pension. Don't have that kind of money any more.

I MIGHT play a little poker now and then to make ends meet. But shhh...

I remember seeing that ads in the wall pic before, but I didn't remember who owned it. I still want to do something like that myself someday.

I remember seeing that ads in the wall pic before, but I didn't remember who owned it. I still want to do something like that myself someday.

It's nice having no heat dump into the room, especially here in the south.

Back