• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build Help

Fix Me

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
746
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming on my 1080p tv (Crysis, StarCraft 2, Bioshock 2, COD, etc), encoding DVD's and blu-ray, recording video from old camcorder via S-Video, playing bluray and DVD mkv's
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I would like to keep it under $1500. i7 is preferred even though I know it's most likely overkill, it should still help with my encoding if it fits in the budget
3) Where do you live?
North Carolina, and a Tiger Direct aka CompUSA is very close by :)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, PSU, CPU/HSF, RAM, MB, GPU, DVD combo drive, SSD or smallish SATA drive for boot drive
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
4 Seagate SATA hard drives (a 1TB 7200.11, a 1.5TB 7200.11, and 2 2TB LP drives) and my wireless keyboard and mouse
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yep, is the Xigmatech Dark Knight still a good buy for air cooling?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1080p DLP @ 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next few weeks
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I have 4 SATA hard drives that should go into it and would like a SSD if it fits in the budget as a boot drive, so it needs to have enough SATA ports for all that, plus the optical drive. I also have 4 USB devices as well.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have 2 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit licenses (technet sub) as I will be dual booting my HTPC and gaming system as I currently do. I know it's not the most eloquent setup, but it works for my purposes and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. :)

I hope that covers everything. I sort of suspect I'm going to get some "split up your usage into separate PC's" comments, but I've been dual booting things for a long time and don't have too much trouble with it. :)
 
Last edited:
Newegg won't charge you sales tax, TD/CompUSA will.

$50 - Hauppage 1250 TV Tuner with S-Video input
$69
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$99 - LG Blu Ray / DVD Burner with 3D Glasses and Software Included
$60 - Noctua NH-U9 SE2 92mm HSF
$314 - Intel i5 760 & ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard COMBO ($10 MIR)
$300
- CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650 & GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 COMBO ($30 MIR)

Case - Pick one:
$60 - NZXT M59 ATX Case
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$60 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7FN ATX Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$130 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$140 - Antec P183 ATX Case

Roughly $980 shipped depending on your case selection.

With a budget of "under $1000, the lower the better" you probably aren't going to see an i7 recommendation, especially when you also need a blu ray drive.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
On second thought, I think I can reuse my Blu-ray drive, duh. So, all I really need is a SATA DVD combo drive. That should save me a little bit of money. Any other recommendations?

Edit: I upped my budget to $1500, I forgot I needed a hard drive and changed what I needed as far as an optical drive.
 
Last edited:
I recommend coming back in a few weeks and bumping up this thread. AMD is due to release their new GPUs very soon and that might influence what video cards we're gonna recommend for your setup.

As for the SSD, hold on that as well till later this year when Intel releases their newer, faster, and cheaper SSDs.
 
Thanks Danny, I forgot about the new AMD cards coming. Later this year as in November/December? I can definitely wait for that. Bigger, faster, and cheaper sounds good to me :D
 
Thanks Danny, I forgot about the new AMD cards coming. Later this year as in November/December? I can definitely wait for that. Bigger, faster, and cheaper sounds good to me :D

Later this year as in November/December.
 
Back
Top