New Build - Help Me Choose Between My Existing Power Supplies

Hi, gang.

Built two new PCs, one big productivity box and one back-up/gaming box. Existing PCs (to be replaced) are 8 years old and have been performing flawlessly. The productivity PC has been powered for 8+ years continuously (4770K on Asus Z87-A).

New productivity box: Non-OC Ryzen 7 5800X; MSI B550 Gaming Plus; 32 GB of Corsair 3200 (one day to be 64); Hyper 212 Black; WD SN750 NVME Booter; 750-TI video (no gaming); one extra SSD, one or two extra HDD. Fed via sine-wave UPS. When running Cinebench R20 this box pulls 175W from the socket (with old nVidia GT210 used for testing). At the desktop it pulls about 45 W.

New Back Up / Moderate 1080P Gaming Box: Ryzen 2600 with all clocks OCd to 3900; Asrock B450 Pro4; 16 GB Corsair 3000 RAM; Pure Rock 2 cooler; WD SN750 NVME booter; one extra SSD, one extra HDD. Vid card will be my old 7870XT, an RX-480 or an nVidia P4000 (8GB, rough equiv to GTX-1070, but with 100W TDP). That makes for a vid card max power draw of 100 to 180 W. When using an old GT-210 for bench testing, this PC pulls 150 W from the socket while running Cinebench R20 and 35 W at the naked desktop.

Your task: Help me choose which of MY EXISTING POWER SUPPLIES to use in each respective PC. No additional supplies will be purchased unless I win the lotto.

Power Supplies:

Existing productivity box has a 650 or 700 W Seasonic Modular PS. It's 8-9 years old and has been running 24/7 since the day it was installed. I haven't yet pulled it and opened it up to see whether caps are bulged, etc.

PSs in new, sealed boxes. All are 0.5-3 years old:

QTY 2 eVGA 450 W3

QTY 1 eVGA 500W 100-W1-0500-KR

QTY1 eVGA 600W 100-W1-0600-K1

QTY 1 ARESGAME AVG500 (2 months old). Been using a lot of these with good results, but none on my own PCs. :)

QTY 1 Thermaltake 550 SmartBX1 550

QTY 1 Corsair CX-750 (new, but sitting on shelf for 3 years)

Which PS for which PC?

As always - thanks,

--Sohosources

pick the two heaviest, its a sign of reliability. any of them should be fine, use the 5/600s and call it a day.

According to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

It seems most PSU's are rated for their highest efficiency around the 50% load mark, so given that you have a rough idea of how much power each system will pull, you should try to pair them with a PSU that will sit right around the 50% usage range when under load, and with the highest efficiency rating. From there you can go down the list of other things, like the noise level of the PSU, do you want modular or non, do you like the sticker on the side etc..

With that being said, personally, I would stick with the 8 or 9 year old seasonic, assuming it isnt having issues. Thats just a brand that I trust more than the others listed (old corsair was great though).

Sell all but the seasonic and buy one QUALITY seasonic/corsair/evga 500 or 600w gold unit. Stop buying bottom of the barrel power supplies! Even if they are from respected companies they are still some of their worst units.

Sell all but the seasonic and buy one QUALITY seasonic/corsair/evga 500 or 600w gold unit. Stop buying bottom of the barrel power supplies! Even if they are from respected companies they are still some of their worst units.
Save for the CX-750, the other supplies are for refurbs and customer repairs. I happened to have them on hand, so I listed them. I will probably keep using the Seasonic (after cleaning and inspection) and add the CX-750 to the new box.

Back