• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build from 6+ year old machine

JoNo216

Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
646
So after many a year it is time for me to upgrade my computer.
I am a cost to performance guy who like wants to make this last as long as he can.
I do plan on some overclocking nothing crazy or anything.

Computer will be used for gaming and programming.
Optical drives, PSU, case, and a normal HD will be carried over from the old system.
I managed to snag a 980GB Crucial SSD when they were on sale for other day for $200.

I have two questions, one I'm not really sure what mobo to get, since this is a new chipset there aren't too many reviews yet from what I've seen but as an alternative to what is listed below I was looking at an ASRock Z170 Pro4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157635.
The other question is the m.2 performance sounds amazing but would it be more worth it to throw that money at a video card and upgrade to a 980 or Fury.

I like the fact that right now I can get the Phantom Pain with the nVidea cards as I plan on eventually getting the game anyways. But it's not a deal breaker either way.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wY7w23
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wY7w23/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($251.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $962.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 06:25 EDT-0400

My overall budget is around 1200.

As you can see I'm a little indecisive. Thanks for the lookover! :D

--edit --sorry forgot details I'm up too early...
my PSU is like 6 years old but it is 700W
I live in Cleveland OH USA
currently have just a 25" 1080 monitor -- don't plan on upgrading that in the foreseeable future maybe after a couple years.
plan on doing this soonish not in an immediate need but I want something in place no later than 11/10/15 for Fallout 4.
for the mobo features looking for XFire or SLI support. Onboard video is ok for a backup, but it is nothing necessary.
 
Last edited:
Can't really give you solid advice without the answers to these questions:

What PSU are you reusing? How old is it?
Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Though off the bat, the main issue I see with that build so far is the RAM: It doesn't make sense to me to limit yourself to 16GB of RAM max right of the box. I highly recommend going with 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM instead due to far greater RAM upgrades.

As for motherboards, if you assume the clean slate type of view, pretty much there's no real way to determine which of the new motherboards are good right now. So more or less a crapshoot. Alternatively, you can base your mobo selection on how the previous or older chipset version of that mobo did so that you can get a little idea of how well it could be. So the Asus Z97-P and Asrock Z97 Pro4. Then again, there's still some big differences between different mobos of the same version/model revision that could change whether the mobo is truly reliable.

As for the SSD, IMO, the M.2 drives aren't quite worth it yet.
 
You've got a 1TB SSD - why do you need a second?

At 6 years old, definitely replace the PSU. Quite apart from age, it likely won't have the correct CPU power connector.
 
i guess that is a good point. I will check the power connectors on the mobo and what I have. would be nice to go full modular
 
Back
Top