TheHobbyist
Hugs Hard Johnnies [H]ard
- Joined
- Apr 8, 2008
- Messages
- 456
Hello folks!
I'm always experimenting with hardware and building custom cases and whatnot, so I have a lot of odds and ends building up in my office. Also, I've typically been running my office computer out in the open since I am always tinkering, but that isn't working out anymore with my curious kiddos! I need to put together a more traditional system that will not suffer from constant hardware swaps and open experimentation
I've also got a ROG Swift monitor here that is running on Intel i7 4770k integrated graphics, so that's got to change!
The parts that I have so far are as follows:
Some stuff I have around that I may cannibalize for this build:
Parts I still need:
So far, the build definitely has a black and red color scheme going. That's not something that is usually important to me, but I think I will run with it. For this reason I'll be looking for A Black/Red CPU cooler, Black/Red Memory, and Black/Red GPU's.
Memory-wise, it seems like Haswell doesn't benefit much from increased memory speeds above 1600 - 1866 and it is actually detrimental to the CPU overclock to have ram running above 1.5v. (I'm speaking in terms of real world benefits here, not synthetic benchmarks or games run at 800x600 etc)
What brands do you guys like?
SSD-wise, 256GB is probably plenty of room for me, what size do you guys run?
PSU-wise, I'm pretty set on 850W+ modular from Seasonic, although I would like to hear your thoughts as well. 850W should be enough for SLI with GPU and CPU overclocks on air.
GPU-wise: It seems like my target of 100fps on High settings may require more than what NVIDIA 980 SLI can offer for the ROG Swift. Thoughts? Perhaps I will wait for "980 Ti" or what do you think about dropping to medium settings and going 970 SLI? Any of you have experience with gaming at 1440p at medium and high and would like to contribute your thoughts? Brand-wise, I like the Gigabyte Gamer and ASUS versions. The Gigabyte seems to have the better cooler with better contact with the memory and VRM and it also has the 3 Displayport 1 HDMI 1 DVI configuration.
Cooling-wise: As I said, I'd like to go air for this build and explore the front-to-back airflow of the NZXT H440 case. As far as Black CPU coolers go, the Phantek and the Dark Rock Pro seem like contenders. What do you think?
I will also be doing some light modding of the case as needed for satisfaction
I'm always experimenting with hardware and building custom cases and whatnot, so I have a lot of odds and ends building up in my office. Also, I've typically been running my office computer out in the open since I am always tinkering, but that isn't working out anymore with my curious kiddos! I need to put together a more traditional system that will not suffer from constant hardware swaps and open experimentation
The parts that I have so far are as follows:
- Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift
- Monitor: Dell U2412M (x2)
- Case: NZXT H440 Black and Red
- Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3
- Mouse: Logitech G700
- Mousing Surface: Ratpad
Some stuff I have around that I may cannibalize for this build:
- Memory: Samsung "Magic Ram" 4x4GB
- SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Parts I still need:
- CPU: Intel i7 4790k
- SSD: Samsung 850 Pro (Maybe) (Either 256 or 512GB)
- HDD: 4TB+ (Probably Hitachi as they seem to be the most reliable)
- Memory: I'd like 16GB total (Still not sure on frequency)
- PSU: 850W+ Modular (I'm a big fan of Seasonic, but not settled) (will likely run SLI GPU for the Swift)
- GPU: NVIDIA SLI (I need to power the ROG Swift and I'd like to take advantage of GSYNC. Target: 100fps high settings)
- Cooling: Air Cooler for CPU (I'd like to go air with this build and I think a black cooler would be slick. This case has a great front-to-back airflow synergy with the CPU cooler)
So far, the build definitely has a black and red color scheme going. That's not something that is usually important to me, but I think I will run with it. For this reason I'll be looking for A Black/Red CPU cooler, Black/Red Memory, and Black/Red GPU's.
Memory-wise, it seems like Haswell doesn't benefit much from increased memory speeds above 1600 - 1866 and it is actually detrimental to the CPU overclock to have ram running above 1.5v. (I'm speaking in terms of real world benefits here, not synthetic benchmarks or games run at 800x600 etc)
SSD-wise, 256GB is probably plenty of room for me, what size do you guys run?
PSU-wise, I'm pretty set on 850W+ modular from Seasonic, although I would like to hear your thoughts as well. 850W should be enough for SLI with GPU and CPU overclocks on air.
GPU-wise: It seems like my target of 100fps on High settings may require more than what NVIDIA 980 SLI can offer for the ROG Swift. Thoughts? Perhaps I will wait for "980 Ti" or what do you think about dropping to medium settings and going 970 SLI? Any of you have experience with gaming at 1440p at medium and high and would like to contribute your thoughts? Brand-wise, I like the Gigabyte Gamer and ASUS versions. The Gigabyte seems to have the better cooler with better contact with the memory and VRM and it also has the 3 Displayport 1 HDMI 1 DVI configuration.
Cooling-wise: As I said, I'd like to go air for this build and explore the front-to-back airflow of the NZXT H440 case. As far as Black CPU coolers go, the Phantek and the Dark Rock Pro seem like contenders. What do you think?
I will also be doing some light modding of the case as needed for satisfaction
Last edited: