New build for light games, VM's, and multimedia

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
First off, lets get the 10 out of the way

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Light gaming: Rift MMO currently, but most of my games are not that GPU intensive, but can be very CPU intensive like Civ V, Sup Com:FA, Sins of a solar empire series, stardock's strategy games, AI Wars, etc.

VM's: I Usually have at least one VM going. I use VM's for some of my school work. I have a VM for web browsing. A locked down one for doing my online finance stuff. Funny enough, I have a VM spec. for Itunes because it's easier. etc etc.

Ripping and compressing video's. I do a lot of BR Rips and video conversion stuff. I use Handbrake, make mkv, and a plethora of other tools most of which will use every core available to it.

I also fold for 33.

Usually I am doing much of that simultaneously with 10-20 tabs open and watching a BR rip... My I7 930 rig initially had 12GB of ram and I was very frequently at/under 100mb free and ended up upgrading to 24GB. That being said, I think 14gb has been my sweet spot so I would be comfortable with 16GB. I don't really watch tv anymore and used to have a TV tuner card in my puter. I don't even have cable anymore.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

I would like a soft boundary of $1100 shipped. I am willing to go over a bit if necessary.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Shipped to 62995 as I don't live near a city. I am a Prime Member.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Case, Power Supply, CPU, Mobo, Memory, an OS SSD, a data drive (2TB or larger,) Video card, cheapest dvd burner available (will rarely if ever use,) an AIO or good air cooler.

Edit: I would like to find a case that would emit 0 light ( I wouldn't hook up the power/HDD indicator ) and very little sound. I was going to go with a Fractal R4 but I am not set on it and think I can probably find a good one for cheaper.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I have Keyboard/Mouse, 2x 28" 1920x1200 monitors, Two external BR readers/burners, 3x 2TB WD Green full, 2x WD 3TB full, a few 2.5" 500gb HDD's I used for OS backups, about 10-12 various 120mm and 140mm fans from previous builds (mostly noctua/etc) No high speed fans left. 2x PCI-E sata expansion cards (2 internal Sata 3.0 ports each.) I have a 16GB memory pack of G-Skill DDR3 1333 but I don't have a way to test it and it's been through 3 moves.

6) Will you be overclocking?

It's extremely likely, but how far could depend on when/where I start getting bottle necked. It's important to know I don't have AC, but it's rarely over 80 degree's in my room.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

2x 28" 1920x1200 I used to have three and didn't like it. Mostly because of the size of them but it would be a while before I change my monitors barring some disaster/failure.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

W/in the next 4 weeks most likely. I am not necessarily in a hurry. I had been waiting on Kavari and I would like to see it after it's been out a few weeks and been tested with updated drivers. I don't think I would be happy with a two module CPU though.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

I rely heavily on USB. I currently have 4 USB 3.0 external HDD's (in addition to the previously listed Sata drives.) I do have a good USB 3.0 hub that I am fine continuing to use. I do need BT, mostly for my headphones and tablet because I hate wired headphones.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I have a legit windows 7 pro 64 license and a legit windows 8 pro 64 license w/the media center pack. I gave windows 8 a legitimate shot, but didn't like it, however I am willing to give it another go and try 8.1 provided VMWare Workstation 9 works with windows 8.

All of this being said, I have been looking at an FM2+ build, an AM3+ build and debating between FX 6300 and 8350. I am not biased towards AMD, my last rig was a 930 I7, but I do a lot of multi tasking and heavy multi core use. I don't think I would waste my money on the 9000 series without a compelling reason since I am comfortable overclocking. I don't have a preference between AMD or Nvidia for video cards and had been debating between a 760 and 270x.

Last edited:

Edit: I would like to find a case that would emit 0 light ( I wouldn't hook up the power/HDD indicator ) and very little sound. I was going to go with a Fractal R4 but I am not set on it and think I can probably find a good one for cheaper.
Actually, the Fractal Design R4 is the cheapest low noise case that I usually recommend. I doubt you'll be able to find a better or equal case than the Fractal Design R4 for a lower price. So I recommend just sticking with it.

2x PCI-E sata expansion cards (2 internal Sata 3.0 ports each.)
Just to be clear, those are PCI-E x1 cards right?

I have a 16GB memory pack of G-Skill DDR3 1333 but I don't have a way to test it and it's been through 3 moves.
Just test them with the new build. If they don't work, no biggie and just order new RAM. With that said, is that a pack of 4 sticks of RAM or just two sticks of RAM?

All of this being said, I have been looking at an FM2+ build, an AM3+ build and debating between FX 6300 and 8350. I am not biased towards AMD, my last rig was a 930 I7, but I do a lot of multi tasking and heavy multi core use.
Considering your multi-core scenarios, best stick with a AM3+ build with the 8350.

I don't have a preference between AMD or Nvidia for video cards and had been debating between a 760 and 270x.
270X due to its generally lower price.

Actually, the Fractal Design R4 is the cheapest low noise case that I usually recommend. I doubt you'll be able to find a better or equal case than the Fractal Design R4 for a lower price. So I recommend just sticking with it.

Just to be clear, those are PCI-E x1 cards right?

Correct

Just test them with the new build. If they don't work, no biggie and just order new RAM. With that said, is that a pack of 4 sticks of RAM or just two sticks of RAM?

It's 4x4GB

Considering your multi-core scenarios, best stick with a AM3+ build with the 8350.

That's what I was thinking. 8350 or 6300.

270X due to its generally lower price.

It's 4x4GB

Hmmm...that basically limits you to 16GB of RAM max. ANy future RAM upgrade would require you to replace the RAM altogether. If you're legitimately fine with 16GB of RAM, then go ahead and reuse those G.Skill RAM (assuming they work). If the RAM don't work and you don't want to wait for warranty replacements or you want to go above 16GB of RAM right away, then get this RAM:
$135 - Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

That's what I was thinking. 8350 or 6300.
You have a $1100 budget. You can afford the better 8350 as you can see here ;):

$200 - AMD FX-8350 CPU
$145 - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX ATX Motherboard
$216 - MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$170 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SSD
$88 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$86 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$75 - Noctua NH-D14 120mm and 140mm HSF
------
Total: $1113 shipped

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmm...that basically limits you to 16GB of RAM max. ANy future RAM upgrade would require you to replace the RAM altogether. If you're legitimately fine with 16GB of RAM, then go ahead and reuse those G.Skill RAM (assuming they work). If the RAM don't work and you don't want to wait for warranty replacements or you want to go above 16GB of RAM right away, then get this RAM:
$135 - Crucial BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

You have a $1100 budget. You can afford the better 8350 as you can see here ;):

$200 - AMD FX-8350 CPU
$145 - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX ATX Motherboard
$216 - MSI R9 270X GAMING 2G Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$170 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SSD
$88 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$86 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$75 - Noctua NH-D14 120mm and 140mm HSF
------
Total: $1113 shipped

The only thing I question in that is the PS. Is 550w going to be enough? Seems kinda low for a 125w CPU, 150w GPU, a plethora of USB devices, and 6HDD's.

The only thing I question in that is the PS. Is 550w going to be enough? Seems kinda low for a 125w CPU, 150w GPU, a plethora of USB devices, and 6HDD's.
More than enough power. Check out the recently taken power consumption figures for a heavily overclocked 3770K @ 4.6Ghz with a GTX 780 CPU and R9 290 card:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...ghz_edition_video_card_review/10#.Ut3uARDTlQI

428W and 440W. Considering that the R9 270X uses significantly less power and that six HDDs are about 144W at initial boot but drops down to literally a 3rd of that after boot, you would have plenty of headroom.

With that said, if you're still that worried about the PSU and don't mind going over budget even further, the 650W version of the PSU I recommended is only $14 more:
$100 - Seasonic G Series SSR-650RM 650W Modular PSU

More than enough power. Check out the recently taken power consumption figures for a heavily overclocked 3770K @ 4.6Ghz with a GTX 780 CPU and R9 290 card:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...ghz_edition_video_card_review/10#.Ut3uARDTlQI

428W and 440W. Considering that the R9 270X uses significantly less power and that six HDDs are about 144W at initial boot but drops down to literally a 3rd of that after boot, you would have plenty of headroom.

With that said, if you're still that worried about the PSU and don't mind going over budget even further, the 650W version of the PSU I recommended is only $14 more:
$100 - Seasonic G Series SSR-650RM 650W Modular PSU

That is honestly a really good deal for a gold power supply.

Back