Hey,
My Dad's comp is ancient and he is finally ready to upgrade. His budget is $500 but I am trying to build it as cheap as possible.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web, email, streaming video, maybe dvd's sometimes.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500
3) Where do you live?
Washington
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Brand new build so will need CPU, Mobo, Ram, Case, HDD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing 19" LCD, Keyboard+mouse, hopefully the PSU (sorry, still have to check but I think it's 400w generic), CD+RW and DVD-RW drives
6) Will you be overclocking?
I watercool/OC my rigs but prolly won't want to deal with it for his.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Tue the 24th
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Just stable, 1 PCI Express is fine, have a USB 2.0 card if needed for ports
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I have both 32/64 Win 7 pro student licenses, I'll keep one and give him the other (this depends on how much ram I get him).
Anyways, I spec'd out a build but have been out of the loop for a year or two so need input.
Mobo - BIOSTAR TH55B HD LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.459161
CPU - Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.459161
$196.99 bundle ($186.99 w/rebate)
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275
$89.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395
$54.99
Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case (full tower would be ok too)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111
$22.99
Total: $364.99 shipped
How does this look? Thought about going 2gb of ram for $50 but since I got a 64bit license kicking around and only got 2gb myself I figured it's worth the extra $40...
Also the case was just random, I was gonna get one with a generic 350w for the same price but thought I would just reuse the 400w he has. I know a quality PSU is a good idea but why spend the ~$80 on a decent Corsair if what he has still works...I doubt this system will even use 350w with the GPU on the CPU die.
Anyways, I appreciate the feedback!
My Dad's comp is ancient and he is finally ready to upgrade. His budget is $500 but I am trying to build it as cheap as possible.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web, email, streaming video, maybe dvd's sometimes.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500
3) Where do you live?
Washington
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Brand new build so will need CPU, Mobo, Ram, Case, HDD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing 19" LCD, Keyboard+mouse, hopefully the PSU (sorry, still have to check but I think it's 400w generic), CD+RW and DVD-RW drives
6) Will you be overclocking?
I watercool/OC my rigs but prolly won't want to deal with it for his.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Tue the 24th
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Just stable, 1 PCI Express is fine, have a USB 2.0 card if needed for ports
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I have both 32/64 Win 7 pro student licenses, I'll keep one and give him the other (this depends on how much ram I get him).
Anyways, I spec'd out a build but have been out of the loop for a year or two so need input.
Mobo - BIOSTAR TH55B HD LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.459161
CPU - Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.459161
$196.99 bundle ($186.99 w/rebate)
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275
$89.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395
$54.99
Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case (full tower would be ok too)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111
$22.99
Total: $364.99 shipped
How does this look? Thought about going 2gb of ram for $50 but since I got a 64bit license kicking around and only got 2gb myself I figured it's worth the extra $40...
Also the case was just random, I was gonna get one with a generic 350w for the same price but thought I would just reuse the 400w he has. I know a quality PSU is a good idea but why spend the ~$80 on a decent Corsair if what he has still works...I doubt this system will even use 350w with the GPU on the CPU die.
Anyways, I appreciate the feedback!