New build for 7

onzzz

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Heavy Gaming, RAW photo's in Photoshop,

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

no real budget.. but lets say $2000CDN +tax n shipping

3) Where do you live?

Canada :(

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

CPU, RAM, MoBo, Case, PSU? SSD,

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

i have all the speakers, mouses,keyboards, i just need the computer not accessories
i've got the tuniq tower for CPU cooling
I'll use my 4780 512:( till new cards come out
I'll have a WD6400AAKS
i'll use my AuzenTech X-FI Prelude 7.1
i'll use my LG Bluray reader
i also have a Corsair (750w) CMPSU-750TX, will this be enough power for the new rig?

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

i have a 52" 1080P Sharp Aquos

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Between now and windows 7

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

I need what is necessary and a few bells and whistles but i don't need to spend $500 on a classified (i wish)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes, windows 7 64 upgrade when released

These are the parts I was thinking about:

Corsair Obsidian 800D
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
G.SKILL F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD Trident PC3-16000 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-2000 CL9-9-9-24
ASUS P6T Deluxe.
(two) G.SKILL FALCON FM-25S2S-128GBF1 Raid0
(two) WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB

A new card when they come out

total is 1985+tax with free shipping

Last edited:
That looks like a good build to me. You can't go wrong with an i7 and as an owner of an 800D, you won't regret the investment. I prefer Corsair memory over everything else as my Dominators had high yields for overclocking. It's up to you. Nice set up.

IIRC, the 4870 supports Stream, so you should be good. And I think all NVIDIA cards now support CUDA -- not like it matters much in PS (more noticeable in Premiere).

Get two (or three) Indilinx based SSDs for OS/Apps/gaming and run them in RAID0: OCZ Vertex/Agility, SuperTalent UltraDrive ME, Patriot TorqX, or G.Skill Falcon. The 120GB versions of these SSDs run around 15% faster than their smaller brethren. If you want a single SSD, stick to Intel X25-M G2. More info on my ocz vertex page: http://www.alphaq.org/enginurd/hdd/ocz_vertex.html

If you want fast storage, stick to 333GB-platter-drives or larger (320GB, 640GB, 1TB); I highly recommend the Caviar Black series. The only drive using a 500GB platter right now is the 2TB Caviar, IIRC. However, if that changes by the time you buy, switch to that drive. :p

Get 12GB of RAM and SuperSpeed RAMDisk Plus:
I built a RAID 0 box for a small image studio 2 weeks ago, a new startup here in Vegas that is making waves. They wanted a "demo" workstation to see what's possible for processing as they don't want to create a massive server-type situation in the office, but 3-4 workstations that are equal in performance and then just using simple file sharing as required. Very simple setup in terms of the network, but the workstation I built used 2 300GB Velociraptors (tried to sell 'em on SSD but the amount of data they're dealing with wouldn't be practical - again, a price-to-performance and ROI issue).

The hard part was getting them to spring for 16GB of RAM because of the cost, but a few weeks ago I saw that sale for 4 4GB sticks of RAM for about $450 and made a few phone calls and snagged a similar deal.

I set up Photoshop CS3 for 'em (their legit retail copy) on Vista Business x64. They started messing around with it, loading some rather large TIFF files in excess of 150MB a pop, several at a time, performing some basic scripted actions on 'em, blurs, filters, etc. Using the Velociraptors in RAID 0 meant very snappy and consistent performance, as well as having 16GB of RAM too. Also, it's a Q6600 based machine running rock solid at 3 GHz.

They were very pleased with the performance at that point, but I had a surprise for 'em. ;)

I asked if I could have 20 mins 'alone' with the workstation to "rewire it" as Tim Allen might say. That consisted of grabbing a trial version of SuperSpeed Software's RamDisk Plus 9 and installing it, doing the simple configuration, and then creating a 10GB RAMdisk and told Photoshop "Ok, you want a scratch disk? Here, try this on for size."

After I did some tests of my own using the same scripts they'd done earlier, boy... I tell ya. You haven't lived till you see 225MB TIFF files literally snap onscreen in the blink of an eye, multiple huge TIFFs with resolutions like 5000x5000 and even higher. That's what's possible with RAMdisks, because even Velociraptors in RAID 0 pumping out something like 280MB/s sustained pales to the close to 5GB a second in bandwidth of that RAMdisk.

I told 'em to come back in and rerun their test scripts.

Jaws hit the floor, folks. Well, not quite but figuratively speaking, at least.

They asked what I'd done, I told them I put the scratch disk in RAM where it should be if you have the RAM to make it happen, and they bought 4 licenses of RamDisk Plus 10 mins later, and I got a signed contract to construct 3 more workstations identical to that one top to bottom and also be their "geek" if any issues come up.

It was a very good week... ;)

so how about two G.SKILL FALCON FM-25S2S-128GBF1 Raid0

and two WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB

and to power all this should i get a new PSU?

so how about two G.SKILL FALCON FM-25S2S-128GBF1 Raid0

and two WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB

and to power all this should i get a new PSU?

No need for a new PSU. The 750TX can handle this easily.

... can't tell what was updated from when I last saw this thread. :p

3) Where do you live?

Canada :(

I lol'd.

yeah, that 750W PSU will power anything you can come up with, including two HD5870's in crossfire if you wanted.

anyways, below is my two Gskill falcon 64GB's in RAID-0 on ICH9R:
400MBs.jpg

anyways, as a canuck myself, I feel your pricing pain, primarily your looking at www.newegg.ca and www.ncix.com.

the first thing that pops into my head is a high end lynfield setup, but for $2000 its more than likely we can get you on a bloomfield setup.

Last edited:
Back