• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build flexible budget

Morelian

n00b
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
26
I'm building a new system to replace my Q6600 system and will not be carrying over anything from the old system except keyboard, mouse and monitor.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming and web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? 1500-2000. Will spend higher if results justify it.

3) Where do you live?

Jackson, MS

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, 8 GB Ram, Case-big enough for a 580, Powersupply, cooling solution (H70?), OS-Win 7 Home Premium, BD/DVD player/DVD Writer, Hard Drive, SSD

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Only possible reusable part would be the Creative Titanium soundcard, not a priority now.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes, although system stability is my goal.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

24 inch 1900x1200. May go for a larger screen down the road.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

In the next week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

I won't be doing crossfire, I tend to get the top single card solution and upgrade it once or twice along the way. Firewire doesn't matter, USB 3 and SATA 6 is important.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I'll get a new OS for the system-64 bit Win 7 Home Premium. Current build is Win 7 Pro but I don't need XP mode.

Just some general comments. My current case is a Thermaltake Armour and I like a nice well ventilated case. I am interested in a SSD, which I don't have and am a bit unsure of what size and brand to get.

Budget is flexible, 1500 seems to be a reasonable SB layout and I'll go up on that if I can get extra performance.

Thanks for the help!
 

I almost bought such a CPU and mobo at Micro Center today, but I'm glad I changed my mind and instead bought myself some new thermal compound (an Arctic Cooling MX-3) for my current i7-950. (It's not that I need SB at this time, but the itch has gotten to me.)

Speaking of my system, I've been having stability issues: First, the PC occasionally locks up in the middle of "Starting Windows" screen, with no disk activity for (possibly) several hours. Second, it occasionally BSODs. Third, the system sometimes resets on its own in the middle of BIOS initialization. But then I took my system apart, and discovered that I did not properly secure the HSF to the CPU (one side was a bit loose). I had to reapply the compound (this time using the new MX-3 that I just bought), and resecured the HSF.

If I do go SB some time in the future, most of the components can (and will) be carried over to the new CPU and mobo (and possibly more RAM) once the bugs are fixed.
 
Bummer!

Well I've held out for 3 years, will keep another few months heh. Tempted to get a new video card now though, the 280 in the Q6600 system is starting to look a bit sluggish compared to the new stuff, and I suppose I can carry that vid card to the new system.
 
Bummer!

Well I've held out for 3 years, will keep another few months heh. Tempted to get a new video card now though, the 280 in the Q6600 system is starting to look a bit sluggish compared to the new stuff, and I suppose I can carry that vid card to the new system.

What PSU does your system have now?
 
I have a 500 or 600 W power supply in my current rig, which is a P35 Gigabyte motherboard and using the stock cooler. The fan I got to OC it was really top heavy and tall and I didn't really like how it seemed to pull at the motherboard when I stuck it in the case 3 years ago so I took it off and used the stock cooler. I also have this Visiontek "accessory" power supply that I run the video card off of, it is similar to the one HardOCP reviewed lately (don't tell anybody lol) but its powered the 280 for at least a couple years. I am thinking that other power supply is rated at 400 watts but its been in there long enough now I can't remember.

The 280 was a beast of a video card in its time so I am thinking a newer card shouldn't draw much more power.
 
Anyway you can gt a model # of the PSU? just cause its 500-600 watts doesnt mean its a Quality unit :)
 
Anyway you can gt a model # of the PSU? just cause its 500-600 watts doesnt mean its a Quality unit :)

Yes, that 500W - 600W PSU the OP has could very well be crappy or even shitty. And even if it were of "good" quality at the time of the original build of that system, it would most likely have deteriorated to the point that it might not properly power most of today's systems.
 
yea but if the OP has the budget he can get some of his parts now.. such as the video card & PSU..

Could actually do the whole rig minus the CPU, Mobo & Ram..
 
yea but if the OP has the budget he can get some of his parts now.. such as the video card & PSU..

Could actually do the whole rig minus the CPU, Mobo & Ram..

Thought about that. I could do a 1366 system for roughly the same amount but I wouldn't go there unless I needed hex core and I really don't.

Thinking I might need to wait on the Z version of the 1066 chipset but that is debatable.

What I'd like to do is take my current system, wipe it, and dump it off on the kids.

As to my power supply, its a Thermaltake brand, but my system isn't all that packed with drives and such so I think I"m ok for now and even if I wasn't, a new machine is gonna replace it. If the old box dies when it is with the kids, and I'm sure they'll kill it eventually, a box from Best Buy would do for them :p
 
Thought about that. I could do a 1366 system for roughly the same amount but I wouldn't go there unless I needed hex core and I really don't.

Thinking I might need to wait on the Z version of the 1066 chipset but that is debatable.

What I'd like to do is take my current system, wipe it, and dump it off on the kids.

As to my power supply, its a Thermaltake brand, but my system isn't all that packed with drives and such so I think I"m ok for now and even if I wasn't, a new machine is gonna replace it. If the old box dies when it is with the kids, and I'm sure they'll kill it eventually, a box from Best Buy would do for them :p

Thermaltake has several different 500W to 600W PSUs. All of mostly variable quality. The trouble is that many of those lines from Thermaltake, especially the TR2 and TR2-RX series, tend to be crappy (and sometimes even shitty). Only the current Toughpower XT and Grand series PSUs are what I'd consider anywhere close to "good", IMHO.

And buying a PSU from Best Buy (at least inside their stores) is, IMHO, both penny- and pound-foolish: The stores that I've been inside of currently carry nothing but shitty and/or severely overpriced PSUs.
 
Thermaltake has several different 500W to 600W PSUs. All of mostly variable quality. The trouble is that many of those lines from Thermaltake, especially the TR2 and TR2-RX series, tend to be crappy (and sometimes even shitty). Only the current Toughpower XT and Grand series PSUs are what I'd consider anywhere close to "good", IMHO.

And buying a PSU from Best Buy (at least inside their stores) is, IMHO, both penny- and pound-foolish: The stores that I've been inside of currently carry nothing but shitty and/or severely overpriced PSUs.

I'm not gonna carry over the power supply from the old box to my new build and I guess I wasn't clear, I was intending to say if my old system dies when the kids have it, I'd buy them a complete system from Best Buy, not the power supply.
 
I'm not gonna carry over the power supply from the old box to my new build and I guess I wasn't clear, I was intending to say if my old system dies when the kids have it, I'd buy them a complete system from Best Buy, not the power supply.

Gotcha.
 
Back
Top