New build feedback?

Mundar

n00b
This is what I have in mind for my new build. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should change?

Any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (BF3). Adobe editing programs (Photographer). Of course web browsing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~$1200 not including shipping and tax.
3) Where do you live?
Northridge, CA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything necessary to build a new box. Case, CPU, RAM, PSU, Mobo, Hard Drive, CD drive.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
GPU: GeForce GTX265. Thermaltake TMG i2 CPU cooler. Kingston 128GB SSD.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23 inch LG 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
All of the above would be preferred. SLI, USB3, SATA6
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

j9ybrc.png

Last edited:
Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

What's the priority of this build: Gaming or Photoshop?

Why are you going with a Blu-ray drive?

Actually, you don't need a Blu-ray burner for your intended use. In fact, a Blu-ray burner is overkill for your system unless you intend to frequently archive high-definition videos onto a format that's compatible with standalone Blu-ray video players. Indeed, you can save $110 by getting a SATA DVD burner instead of the Blu-ray burner.

Second, ditch that WD1001FALS hard drive: Most versions of that drive are actually significantly slower than a much cheaper Samsung F3 HD103SJ drive because you'll likely receive an older (and original) 3-platter version of that drive (due to the fact that Western Digital continues to make old and new designs alongside one another - and often on the exact same day). I ranted about Western Digital some time back for that company continuing to produce both old and new revisions of the exact same model drive at the exact same time.

Last edited:
In addition to E4g1e's advice:
1) Try to get as much of your parts as possible from Amazon.com since they do not charge CA residents tax.

2) Try to buy this RAM in the next 5 hours:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Use this promo code with it: EMCKHJE54.

If you can't use the promo code, then don't buy the RAM. But $82 shipped for 8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM is a freakin' steal. And no, there's no difference between triple and dual channel RAM. So the above set would get you an extra 2GB of RAM as well as leave room for even more RAM upgrades.

What's the priority of this build: Gaming or Photoshop?

Why are you going with a Blu-ray drive?

My priority is both gaming and Photoshop. I would also like to make this box somewhat future proof, I want it to last about five years, just like my old box.

What do you think about adding another 6GB of RAM? So I would have a total of 12GB.
This is on sale right now for $58:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL021711&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021711-_-EMC-021711-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20145222-L0E

At $75 shipped and taxed, not that great of a deal. No we don't factor in rebates around here since they're not guaranteed.

I agree. In fact, it is a tad expensive for so-called "DDR3-1600" RAM that needs 1.65V to run at its advertised speed and timings. Realistically, at the JEDEC voltage standard of 1.5V, it is really only a true DDR3-1333 kit. (There are currently no JEDEC DDR3-1600 kits yet on the market, so all "DDR3-1600" memory currently out there are simply native DDR3-1333 DIMMs with XMP profiles for the 1600 speed.)

I agree. In fact, it is a tad expensive for so-called "DDR3-1600" RAM that needs 1.65V to run at its advertised speed and timings. Realistically, at the JEDEC voltage standard of 1.5V, it is really only a true DDR3-1333 kit. (There are currently no JEDEC DDR3-1600 kits yet on the market, so all "DDR3-1600" memory currently out there are simply native DDR3-1333 DIMMs with XMP profiles for the 1600 speed.)

I agree, stay with a 1.5v modual. I dont think the 1.35V moduals are worth thier money.

Back