New Build - Comments? :)

imsirovic5

Limp Gawd
Hi, so I have been using a rig that I built in January of 2009 so I figured now its time to upgrade as I give my old computer to my GF (gaming with her while she is using integrated laptop graphics is not fun). I do not plan overclocking my system. Please let me know if you think I should re-think any of the following components:

CPU: i7-4790K
Motherboard: Asus Z97 Maximus Hero VII
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB)
HD: Samsung SSD 500 gig (have an old 4tb standard laying around)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II RC
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1250W Power Supply (may be an overkill but found a deal for $156)
Monitor: LG Electronics UM95 34UM95
Video: 970 SLI (I am really waiting for 16nm cards to hit the market but until that happens I believe these 2 should be able to drive 3440x1440. Once 16nm flagships arrive I plan on SLI'ing those primarily to drive Oculus Rift VR setup which I hope will be out by then).

My main hope is that this setup will last me for another 5 years (the way my i7920 built did with upgraded 680gtx bought in 2012) and will be able to drive future high end offerings from Nvidia or AMD.

Let me know if you think if this is a decent setup or if I am missing something or if there is something that I should really wait for! Thanks! :)

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better.

Though at first glance, that motherboard is probably going to be overkill and the case is absolutely horrible for the money IMO. I recommend ANY of these other cases over the Cosmos II:
$100 - Antec 1100 V2 ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$100 - Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series“ Black ATX Case
$110 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$115 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$116 - Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Graphite Series 730T ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$133 - NZXT Phantom 530 Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Case
$150 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$152 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$150 - NZXT Phantom 630 White Windowed Full Tower ATX Case
$158 - NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Full Tower ATX Case
$170 - Thermaltake Urban T81 Full Tower ATX Case
$190 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T ATX Case
197 - Corsair Graphite Black ATX Full Tower 780T
208 - Corsair Graphite White ATX Full Tower 780T
$240 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case

$140 - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Steel Silver ATX Cube Case
$150 - Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Black ATX Cube Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First, thank you very much for such a detailed response. I chose cooler master mostly due to noise concerns and given that I had their previous model (back in 2009 and was extremely happy with it). I can also get the case for $279 which is much less than what MSRP is. Having said that, I will research your suggestions. Thank you again for such a detailed list. Below are answer to sticky questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming, maybe video editing or 3D rendering if I ever get time to get back into it.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Have not set a budget but am more interested in system longevity while being mindful of costs and trying to get best value.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US - NYC area

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Budget is not as relevant. The parts I am most concerned were listed above

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

HD, Sound Blaster Titanium

6) Will you be overclocking?

Most likely not, but may in the future

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

3440x1440 - 34"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

within a week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

SLI, USB 3.0

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Will be giving my old computer away N/A

I chose cooler master mostly due to noise concerns and given that I had their previous model (back in 2009 and was extremely happy with it). I can also get the case for $279 which is much less than what MSRP is. Having said that, I will research your suggestions.
Noise concerns? Then I recommend these cases instead:
$90 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$90 - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX Case
$120 - NZXT H440 White/Black ATX Case
$120 - NZXT H440 Red/Matte Black ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$240 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case

Again, even at $279, that Cosmos II is still way overpriced for what it is. Also, if noise is a real conern, you're goingt o n

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming, maybe video editing or 3D rendering if I ever get time to get back into it.
What games are you planning on playing?

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US - NYC area
How long is the drive to any of these Microcenters
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/westbury.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/yonkers.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/queens.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/brooklyn.aspx
6) Will you be overclocking?

Most likely not, but may in the future
Not a solid answer. Generally, overclocking is something that you have to know with 100% certainty whether you're going to do it or not. The reason for that is overclock capabilities costs extra money over non-overclock setups. So unless you live within 30 to 35 minutes driving range of a Microcenter, no reason for you to get the 4790K. Depending on your answer to my earlier game question, you should be fine with either the Core i5 4590 or the Core i7 4790.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

SLI, USB 3.0
That's it? In that case, that Asus Z97 Maximums Hero VII is definitely overkill and unnecessary. You'll be fine with either of those motherboards:
$142 - AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer Intel Z97 Motherboard
$140 - Asus Z97-A Intel Z97 Motherboard
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Will be giving my old computer away N/A

So you will be buying a new copy of Windows 8.1 64bit, then?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the case recommendations, will research those. Games wise I play mostly FPS / strategy type of games - may try star citizen once its out. Sometimes I just try GFX intensive games to see how far the graphics has evolved. But my real concern is ability to drive the oculus rift once the consumer version comes out. The screen resolution of oculus rift while yet unannounced is most likely going to be 2440p at minimum and will be needed to be driven at 90hz (90fps) - so I am cognizant of the fact that not even my 970 sli setup will be able to drive that, but by then I am sure Nvidia will be at the 16nm process.

Thank you for the recommendation on the CPU, the difference was $50 between K or no K version so I see that as price of an option if I decide to overclock (well the pricing of the option is higher as it also includes additional $$$ I am spending on pricier motherboard). Having said that, it is something to think about so I thank you for pointing this out. I will research more the motherboards you have suggested.

And yes, I will be using windows 8.1 64 bit. So in summary, thank you for pointing out the areas where I can save money (the computer case) and as it relates to CPU and mobo (if I decide that overclocking is not something I am willing to do in the future).

Hi Dangman, I can drive to Microcenter, but I mostly try to find deals online as I save time commuting back and forth and can usually find cheaper prices online with no tax. Thank you again for your suggestions.

And thanks for the comment Sodalink, I look forward to the build!

Hi Dangman, I can drive to Microcenter, but I mostly try to find deals online as I save time commuting back and forth and can usually find cheaper prices online with no tax. Thank you again for your suggestions.
That's why I ask "How long is the drive?" If it's more than 30 minutes, generally not worth the drive IMO. But less than 30 minutes, it's worth it since you can save up $90 (minus any taxes) with a CPU + mobo combo from Microcenter.

Back