New build - Comments welcome

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Right, it's time. I've been waiting on 2 things before buying the parts for my new pc...mainly because i'm in no rush, they were:-

1 - Windows 8.1 (coming from Win 7 Ultimate)
2 - C2 Stepping motherboards (may aswell get the latest)

Here's what im saving from my old pc:-

HX850 PSU
Keyboard/Mouse/TV etc
GTX 560Ti 448
Hard drives
Processor Cooler

And here's what i think im getting:-

i5-4670K
MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING or ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO?
16gb DDR3 Crucial Elite (around £100 on Amazon)
840 EVO 250GB SSD
Sata DVD Drive
Corsair 300R Case (already bought)

I can't decide between the MSI and ASUS mobo. I'm swaying towards the MSI because its cheaper and has a coaxial output rather than just an optical which i don't have spare on my av amp?

Any comments are welcome. :)

Additonal info :-
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming/HD Movies
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
£600 ($1000)
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
UK
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU/Mobo/DDR3/SSD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
HX850 PSU/MSi GTX560Ti 448
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080 50" Plasma Tv
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next few days
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Sata 6Gb/s/USB3/Sli would be nice.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Win8 Pro 64bit.

Last edited:
Get the MSI Z87-GD65. The HardOCP review showed it to be a capable overclocker.

If you don't already have it, grab the Corsair H80i for overclocking.

Cheers for the input tiraides. I currently have a Corsair A50 cooler (forgot to include the make above). I'll try overclocking with that first then upgrade to a water cooler if necessary.

What are your thoughts on ram. I'm already leaning towards 16gb due to the prices increasing almost weekly.

The ram i'm thinking of picking up is this variety:-
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLE2CP8G3D1869DE1TX0CEU
It's going for £100 on Amazon and is shown as being compatible with the MSI mobo on crucials own website.

Cheers.

Are there any cheaper DDR3 1600 options? I ask because DDR3 1866 RAM really isn't worth it unless it's the same price as DDR3 1600 RAM.

Not by much. I was initially looking at Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 but thats up at £130 now.

Ive found some G.Skill 1600 for £97, about a £10 difference.

To give you an idea of what im aiming for out of this system, i'm wanting a moderate overclock of 4.4 or maybe 4.5ghz. My current OC of 3.4ghz on my old but awesome Q6600 is the sole reason why i've been able to wait this long to have to upgrade at the resolution i play games at (1080p) so i want to repeat that success.

Question, will going for 1600 instead of 1866 in any way affect the overclock i can achieve or the 'real world' performance of the system?

Thanks for your help.

Fair enough, cheers.

SSD's, is there any point in going for a 840 Pro over the Evo i'm looking at?

Back