New Build Advice

Ok here's the situation...

Really tired of AMD's underpowered processors so I am looking for an intel build that will last me quite a while but at the same time spare my wallet from being empty.

I've been eyeing the i5 4690k for a while but not sure if it would be the optimal proc for my needs which is: Playing high end games, video encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting, Streaming. Since it's been a while since my last intel build I don't know if there is a newer version or which motherboards are compatible with what.

For the motherboard I'd like something that can overclock and runs pretty cool. Bluetooth and usb 3.0 are not a must but would be nice. I'm also thinking about getting a mini itx board but have no experience in them and don't know their drawbacks.

For the ram I already own DDR3 16 gb Patriots that are clocked at 1600. Not sure if they are compatible with intel boards.

For the GPU I already have a 7950. The problem here is that it is pretty huge. For example, if I do go with a mini itx board and a small case I have no clue if it will fit or not. I also am thinking about using an old CM Storm Scout case I have lying around but don't know if they fit there either.

For the PSU I would like a modular one. Something very reliable.

I'm probably gonna use the stock cooler for a while to save money but if you guys have any suggestions on that I'll take them.

So the budget is around 700-800 and that may or may not include a case (depending if my 7950 will fit.) Honestly I'm probably going to buy the parts at my local Frys since its very easy to return defective parts, so please go by retail price.

Someone already suggested upgrading my 6300 to an 8320 and above but I doubt that it will be as good as the i5 stated above.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you better:
1) Just how much of your time on the PC is spent on "video encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting"?
2) What's the model number of that 7950?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) Why not reuse your current C70 case?

As for the PSU, see if you can buy this PSU ASAP as this is one of the best PSU deals out now as it's a high quality PSU that normally retails for about $140 for $103 ($93 if you use the promo):
$103 - Seasonic X650 Gold 650W Modular PSU + USD $10 off w/ promo code 0402GCRATE03, ends 4/5

That's an absolute steal. And if you get the rebate, that's another $15 off. I don't think you'll find a better PSU deal than that Seasonic.

As for the mITX route, the main limitation are no ability whatsoever to use multiple PCI-E devices (i.e video cards) and a max RAM amount of 16GB of RAM. If you're doing serious amounts of video and audio work, mITX may not be the route to go.

Yes the 8320 won't be as fast as the i5 4690K for gaming but the 8320 upgrade route is substantially cheaper. With that said, if a 4.8Ghz clocked FX-6300 isn't enough, then yeah, Intel might be a good deal if you really really want a performance upgrade at whatever the cost.

1) Just how much of your time on the PC is spent on "video encoding/converting, Audio encoding/converting"?
Actually very minimal compared to others, but I think for a video that is about a gig or 2 or most an hour is way too long.

2) What's the model number of that 7950?
It's the gigabyte one. GV-R795WF3-3GD. Don't really want to change it, I think its really good just the proc is holding it back

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I live in CA and a frys is right next to me. Im gonna buy everything there because of convenience.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
Motherboard
Case (possibly read prior post)
PSU
Cooler (If worth it. May run stock for a while)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
G2 Patriot ram 16gb
7950 as stated above
Maybe an old cm storm scout case. The first version.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not out of the box. If I find performance lacking I may.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x 1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In a month or so when I get the money.

9) Why not reuse your current C70 case?
Will be sold off with the AMD build.

If you're doing video encoding and streaming, you may benefit from stepping up to the i7 processor.

So did you jump on that PSU deal? Or you cannot?

In regards to the case, reuse your current C70 case with the new system for two reasons:
1) It's a far better quality case than the Storm Scout
2) It can actually fit your video card. Your card has a length of 285mm. The max GPU length for the Storm Scout is 270mm.

In addition, since your video/audio work is minimal, I don't think the Core i7 route is the way to go here.

Didnt get to. Looks like a solid psu though so if ill buy one I don't mind paying full or near full price.

This confirms my suspicion that not only can I not use the cm storm scout but if I went mini ITX with a mini itx case it would not accomodate my gpu or other high end gpus that are about the same size. So I wont go that route.

As for the processor, I'm having second thoughts. Someone is really convincing me that getting an 8320 or 8350 will match very close to the i5. Of course I will be overclocking it but should be fine with my current mobo and cooler. Can't really say since ive never played on those procs and have only had the 6300 and the previous 965 deneb. Pretty easy to tell that people with i5's can run and play games such as arma 2, h1z1 with high framerates and be able to record and stream with ease. Not sure with the 8350. If someone could demonstrate that kind of power with the 8350s I'd just jump on that since it is the easier and way cheaper route.

Just want to make sure I'm not disappointed this go around.

The thing with the 8350 is that it is based on the same CPU architecture as the FX-6300. So the FX-8350 will perform the same as the FX-6300 at the same clocks in games that aren't heavily multi-threaded. There's a good chance that the FX-8350 won't reach the same overclock as the FX-6300 due to the extra cores. With that said, if you can reach the same overclock, the FX-8350 will allow you to get the same FX-6300 gaming performance while at the same time doing some other task like recording/streaming.

So basically it will perform just about the same. Yeah I'm going with an i5. If someone will just recommend a motherboard in the 100 dollar range. Have no idea what socket it uses.

This confirms my suspicion that not only can I not use the cm storm scout but if I went mini ITX with a mini itx case it would not accomodate my gpu or other high end gpus that are about the same size. So I wont go that route.
Not necessarily: The Silverstone SG08 case can accomodate GPUs up to 309mm long. The Coolermaster Elite 130 can apparently fit GPUs up to 343mm long. Once you remove the upper drive cage, the BitFenix Prodigy can fit a GPU up to 335mm long. So mITX isn't out of the question here. Yes there are mITX cases that have better GPU clearance than the ATX Storm Scout case. But that's mainly because the Storm Scout case wasn't that good of a case.
So basically it will perform just about the same. Yeah I'm going with an i5. If someone will just recommend a motherboard in the 100 dollar range.
Honestly, I recommend just waiting until you actually have the money and plan the build then. A "month or so" is enough time for sizable chances in the computer hardware world/pricing. We can see an example of that in this very thread: The Seasonic PSU I recommended is a very good PSU. However, at its normal retail price of $130 to $140, it's not that good of a deal since there are better quality PSUs in that price range. At the $103 price point, it's one of the best choices. So sales can drastically affect what parts we recommend.

If you're actually serious about overclocking, you should be looking at $120 to $140 range for a solid overclocking motherboard
Have no idea what socket it uses.
The current crop of Intel Core i5 CPUs uses LGA 1150

Only thing I'm worried about changing is the proc. Anyone know if the next Gen of is are coming out? Also want to make sure I get the right i5 if I decide now
May get the money within the week since I may only change the proc and board.

Only thing I'm worried about changing is the proc. Anyone know if the next Gen of is are coming out? Also want to make sure I get the right i5 if I decide now
May get the money within the week since I may only change the proc and board.

The next generation of Intel CPUs, Intel Broadwell, is supposedly due sometime early Q2 2015. After that, we might see Intel Skylake in late Q2 2015 or early Q3 2015.

Yes all of that within this year.

Decided to stick with AMD. Even if an intel build is a technically better the small gains in performance would not be worth the hassle of overhauling my entire system.

Don't know if it is worth it to upgrade to an 8320~8350 or even the 9370 and above.

I also don't think I need a gpu upgrade but I could be wrong.

Decided to stick with AMD. Even if an intel build is a technically better the small gains in performance would not be worth the hassle of overhauling my entire system.

Don't know if it is worth it to upgrade to an 8320~8350 or even the 9370 and above.
Strictly for gaming, none of those are worth the upgrade considering that your FX 6300 is clocked at 4.8Ghz. Since you're not doing that much video and audio editing, none of those are worth the upgrade. An 8350 or 8320 upgrade is only worth doing in your situation if both of these factors occur:
1) Your guaranteed overclock is 4.5Ghz or higher
2) You're planning on playing games AND streaming said games across the internet at the same time all the time.

Otherwise, not really worth upgrading the CPU if your only options are AMD.

I also don't think I need a gpu upgrade but I could be wrong.
If the games you're playing are more GPU limited than CPU demanding, a GPU upgrade might be good idea.

4.8 isn't that stable. I actually clocked it down to 4.6

Considering getting an 8350 on ebay used. Not sure if I'm gonna get ripped off or not.

4.8 isn't that stable. I actually clocked it down to 4.6

Considering getting an 8350 on ebay used. Not sure if I'm gonna get ripped off or not.
Doesn't make that much of a difference really. Again, remember that the 8350 is based on the same tech as the 6300 so you really have to do a lot of multi-threaded and/or multi-tasking work as well as get the same or similar overclock to justify even $120 for a 8350.

Back