New build advice - starting from latest PC Gamer mag

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (currently MMO's like SWTOR, Rift and Tera, likely GW2 when out), Diablo 3, Skyrim, maybe some FPS down the road. Web browsing, videos, some basic photo-editing.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Up to $1500 if needed, but would like it closer to $1200, with tax and shipping included.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

U.S. Eastern Washington state, Spokane.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, CPU, Mobo, RAM, GPU, Power Supply, Hard Drive (to likely include an SSD and storage), and DVD drive. Oh, and a CPU cooler too if needed.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
This is where I am a bit unsure. I currently have a 4 year old Corsair TX 750W in my current system. I also have an Antec 1200 case. I am unsure what I will be doing with this system, so not sure if I want to "gut it" yet. I have a discrete Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium soundcard to use. I assume the case and PSU would work with newer parts?
6) Will you be overclocking?
Good question, I meant to OC my current system, but just never did, and it was supposed to be one of the easiest overclocks too. I have the Q6600 intel chip, an Abit IP35 Pro mobo, some good quality Mushkin RAM too. I guess I would like to be able to down the road.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
24" with max resolution of 1920 x 1080. I currently have 2 24" monitors, but am only using one at the moment, so would like to try a dual screen setup, but have no experience with it.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next month
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
To date I have not used RAID or Firewire, and have only used single video cards, so never tried Crossfire or SLI. My last 3 cards have all been AMD, but am not averse to Nvidia. I would like to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, and eSATA.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Currently have 64 bit VISTA, so probably should get current with Win 7, so will need OS.

As I said above, I build my last system 4 years ago, and it would probably go another year for sure. I don't know what I will do with it, so not sure if I want to pull anything out of it, other than the sound card. The GPU in it is the HD 6950.

I was reading the latest issue of PC Gamer in which they say the Intel i5 3570k is a great gaming CPU, and so far that seems to be confirmed from my reading here. They then had a list at the back of the issue with a build. I thought this might be a good time to build a new system, so here are the parts they suggested:

CPU: Intel I5 3570k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport (8 GB)
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
HD: Seagate Barracude 2TB (they don't list an SSD for boot drive)
DVD Drive: Samsung SH-222AB (I have a Samsung DVD drive in my current system. There have been a few times where I wish I had a blu-ray capable drive, but it has not been that big a deal as I have a couple on my TV's)
GPU: Radeon HD 7850. As I said earlier, I have tended to pick AMD cards in the past as it always seemed at the time I was picking parts, the AMD card seemed to be the better value, or was cooler, or both. I guess if I will be using two monitors I will need a card that will support that, not sure if there would be a performance hit or not. I really like to know that the card is a good price to performance card.
PSU: Cooler Master 80+ 650 watt (as mentioned earlier I have a 4 year old Corsair PSU, TX 750W, and I have been very pleased with it since day one.

That case seems nice, but looks kind of plain. The Antec 1200 case has been great, lots of cooling, but since I never OC'd, I guess it was kind of overkill. It was a nice case to work with, but is heavy. I would like something quiet and easy to work with, and being kind of cool to look at too....;)

The Mobo sounds pretty good, but I had a Gigabyte videocard once, and had a few problems with it. But that was a few years ago. I want a stable mobo that will be easy to OC with if I decide to try it.

I have not read much about SSD drives, but know they have come down in price and it makes sense to have a fast drive to boot up the OS with, so I don't have much knowledge here, other than I have read good things about Samsung SSD's.

Thanks in advance.

Everything but the PSU looks good. Keep your 4-yr old TX750. It will be heaps better than that POS CM PSU.

At your budget you should be able to get a hell of a lot nicer GPU than a HD 7850. Other than that I don't know. I'm not one of the Hardware Gurus around here.

We generally don't like the Antec 300/900/1200 cases because they offer smaller internal volume and poor case management features compared with other cases in their respective price ranges. Having said all of that, however, the Corsair 500R is a great case to consider.

Additionally, I recommend replacing the PSU as it may have degraded in quality to the point that it may or may not handle one of the newer video cards available now. The good news for you is that the Corsair V2 PSU series are better than their previous generation; stick with the TX750 V2 model and you should be fine.

You have a big enough budget to add on a 128GB to 256GB SSD. I recommend looking at Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Corsair Performance Pro, or Plextor M3 (Pro). Intel's 520 series is also good but it's comparatively more expensive.

The Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM is more expensive compared to G.Skill, which makes RAM of equal quality. I recommend the Ares series RAM due to its lower heatspreaders.

If you wish to overclock your processors, you need to grab a third-party CPU cooler. A good starting point is the oft-lauded Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

If you want to play first-person shooters at your resolution, you need to look at either the Radeon HD 7950 or the GeForce GTX 670.

We generally don't like the Antec 300/900/1200 cases because they offer smaller internal volume and poor case management features compared with other cases in their respective price ranges. Having said all of that, however, the Corsair 500R is a great case to consider.

Additionally, I recommend replacing the PSU as it may have degraded in quality to the point that it may or may not handle one of the newer video cards available now. The good news for you is that the Corsair V2 PSU series are better than their previous generation; stick with the TX750 V2 model and you should be fine.

You have a big enough budget to add on a 128GB to 256GB SSD. I recommend looking at Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Corsair Performance Pro, or Plextor M3 (Pro). Intel's 520 series is also good but it's comparatively more expensive.

The Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM is more expensive compared to G.Skill, which makes RAM of equal quality. I recommend the Ares series RAM due to its lower heatspreaders.

If you wish to overclock your processors, you need to grab a third-party CPU cooler. A good starting point is the oft-lauded Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.

If you want to play first-person shooters at your resolution, you need to look at either the Radeon HD 7950 or the GeForce GTX 670.

+1 for this, though your power supply is good, you could get a new one and use that for a second messing around machine.
As far as going with tiraides cooler, I would get it no matter if overclocking or not(at minimum). I am not a fan of stock HSF's blowing air all around, when for a few $$ you can have it exit out back or top. Never used a stock cooler....

I reckon you can just keep the PSU, Corsair have a 5-7 year warranty on most of their PSUs. Even if it has degraded you wouldn't need anywhere near 750W to power that system anyway.

You should really think about getting an SSD, should fit within your budget.

I agree with the other posters. That PC Gamer build is pretty good. I used to own that Samsung SH-222AB drive (replaced with blu-ray). It was a good drive, I'd buy it again if I had the need.

I would buy either Corsair or G.Skill RAM. Just DDR3 1600 or 1333 should be fine.

I also would not buy the Cooler Master PSU. Just keep your Corsair.

I'd also recommend an SSD to install your OS on. I'd recommend anything Intel, a Crucial M4 or a Samsung 830. Just whatever fits your needs and is on sale.

Thanks for the responses!

I think I read somewhere that there is not much performance difference, at least in games, with 16GB RAM versus 8GB. Is that correct?

Also any thoughts on the motherboard? Or should I post in the mobo forum?

Thanks again!

I think I read somewhere that there is not much performance difference, at least in games, with 16GB RAM versus 8GB. Is that correct?

8GB to 16GB makes zero difference for just gaming. Judging by your usage 16GB isn't necessary.

That motherboard is pretty good, I have just recently used it in a similar build for a friend. He also chose the 3570k and it was fairly easy to set it to a sweet-spot of 4.4ghz.

Like the others have said, 8GB of RAM is plenty for gaming needs. 16GB is OK if you can get it on sale or cheap, it doesn't necessarily hurt to have.

Also, replacing the PSU may be a good idea, but with a 670 or 7950 that system will likely never see the top side of 400w even heavily overclocked.

Thanks for the responses!

Correct, but make sure you get a 2x4GB kit of RAM, not a 4x2GB kit.

Also any thoughts on the motherboard? Or should I post in the mobo forum?

Thanks again!

Since you aren't overclocking, then it's fine as long as it has everything you need. Although it does not have eSATA, you could get a case that has the eSATA port on the front.

Thanks again. As far as the motherboard, the more I think about it, I may overclock..it sounds like this CPU is pretty easy to OC. Would there be a better mobo for OC'ing?

Also note all RAM on Newegg for the next 40 some hours is 10% off using coupon: EMCNDHA42

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! I will check out that mobo. I also see that newegg has a bunch of stuff on sale...got their email this morning....argh...thinking of getting the Ares RAM listed above to at least get that purchased.

I have done more research, and have changed my proposed build list to the following, with a couple of the items having more than one choice...need help there.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009) $119.00 after MIR
or the Corsair Graphite 600T $149.00 or the Corsair Obsidian 550D for $139.99 which appears to be a quiet case

CPU: i5 3570k $214.99
MOBO: Asus p8Z77-V LK $124.99 after MIR (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837)

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 $19.99 after MIR

RAM: G. Skill ARES 8GB $42.29 for the next day I believe. (though I was also thinking of Mushkin just since I have used them in my last two builds, but I don't see much mention of Mushkin anymore here)

HD: Seagate Barracude 2TB $119.00
SSD: choosing between the Corsair M4 256 for $209.99 or the Plextor M3 series 256 for $199.99 after MIR

DVD Drive: was thinking of the basic Samsung SH-222AB, but now am thinking of blu-ray playback and possible burning, so was debating between the ASUS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252) and the LG for $69.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250)

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W which appears to be on sale at the egg, but I may be missing out on the rebate. Is less than $100. I guess this would be overkill and I could get the Corsair 650W which appears to be about the same price as the 750. Doesn't appear any need to go the Gaming series PSU's.

GPU: I think I am now set on getting an Nvidia GTX 670 card....newegg is sold out of the overclocked Asus card, the GTX670-DC2T-2GD5(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121638), so was thinking of the EVGA for $409.99 after MIR or the Gigabyte card at $399.99.

And of course the OS, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I have often thought that my current system was a bit on the noisy side. I hear the fans all the time. So that is why I was thinking of the Obsidian case. My main decisions are the case, the SSD, and which video card. How does this look now?

Also, if there is an easy way to shrink the hyperlinks....I am clueless on that...sorry. :confused:

Thanks!

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009) $119.00 after MIR
or the Corsair Graphite 600T $149.00 or the Corsair Obsidian 550D for $139.99 which appears to be a quiet case!
Any of those cases are solid choice. The main deciding factor as to whether or not to buy the 550D is if you want a quiet PC possible at the expense of cooling. The main deciding factor between the 500R and the 600T is just price. You do get a little more features with the 600T for the extra cash you're paying.

Do note that if you miss the $20 off promo code deal with that 500R, you can get the white version of the 500R for $117 shipped from Amazon.com:
$117 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R White ATX Case

Also in this subforum, please don't factor in the MIR since you haven't recieved them nor have you set a concrete time period for when you're getting those parts as those MIR are limited time offers.
RAM: G. Skill ARES 8GB $42.29 for the next day I believe. (though I was also thinking of Mushkin just since I have used them in my last two builds, but I don't see much mention of Mushkin anymore here)!
Mushkin is generally fine but I tend to prefer G.Skill, Corsair, and Kingston more. Not to mention that G.Skill is more popular and more widely used than Mushkin from what I can tell.

SSD: choosing between the Corsair M4 256 for $209.99 or the Plextor M3 series 256 for $199.99 after MIR
Did you mean Crucial M4? If so, it pretty much comes down to whether or not the the extra two year warranty offered by Plextor is worth the extra $40 (again, I don't factor in MIR since you haven't gotten them nor have you stated when exactly you're gonna buy the parts) and which company you trust more.

DVD Drive: was thinking of the basic Samsung SH-222AB, but now am thinking of blu-ray playback and possible burning, so was debating between the ASUS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252) and the LG for $69.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250)

I'd go with the Asus since it's more widely bought.
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W which appears to be on sale at the egg, but I may be missing out on the rebate. Is less than $100. I guess this would be overkill and I could get the Corsair 650W which appears to be about the same price as the 750. Doesn't appear any need to go the Gaming series PSU's.
If the 750W is about the same price as the 650W, then go for the 750W.

GPU: I think I am now set on getting an Nvidia GTX 670 card....newegg is sold out of the overclocked Asus card, the GTX670-DC2T-2GD5(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121638), so was thinking of the EVGA for $409.99 after MIR or the Gigabyte card at $399.99.
Either card will be fine. Though I'm a bit partial to eVGA myself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome, thanks a lot! Anything else I might need? I have keyboards, mice and monitors...I am assuming Windows Home Premium 64 bit is all I need for an OS.

Well, I placed the order, came to $1513, exactly at the high end of my budget. The promo codes helped a lot, plus there are a few rebates to do later, so it will (hopefully) end up below $1500 :)

I am excited about this system, it will be my first system with an SSD, and a higher end video card. :D

My final build list, and I will mention my second thoughts at the end on one item...:confused:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU: i5 3570k
RAM: G. Skill Ares 8 gb (2x4) DDR 3 1600
SSD: Crucial M4 256 (not Corsair as I said before...names seem too similar to me I guess)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200 rpm SATA 6gb/s
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2 750W
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
DVD: Samsung SH-222bb/RSBS (retail box, had free shipping) (decided against the blu-ray internal drive, just couldn't justify it, won't be burning blu-rays, and have two blu-ray players anyway)
and the second thought item -
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB

The reason for the 2nd thoughts was more reading in the videocard forum. I have been thinking of trying 2 monitors, and the 7970, while slightly more expensive, has 3GB, which could make a difference if I went to two monitors (??). In fact I was about to post a question there about it. I have had Nvidia and AMD cards in the past, and currently have a HD 6950. My picks are usually of the card that happens to be the best value at the time, or is cooler/more efficient. My initial thoughts were the 670 for those reasons. I may still end up using just one monitor, but now that I find myself with 2 24" monitors, I thought I would try it. Any thoughts? The nice think is I did order the FTW edition, which has a factory overclock....

The reason for the 2nd thoughts was more reading in the videocard forum. I have been thinking of trying 2 monitors, and the 7970, while slightly more expensive, has 3GB, which could make a difference if I went to two monitors (??). In fact I was about to post a question there about it. I have had Nvidia and AMD cards in the past, and currently have a HD 6950. My picks are usually of the card that happens to be the best value at the time, or is cooler/more efficient. My initial thoughts were the 670 for those reasons. I may still end up using just one monitor, but now that I find myself with 2 24" monitors, I thought I would try it. Any thoughts? The nice think is I did order the FTW edition, which has a factory overclock....
Well are you planning on running multiple MMORPG clients at the same time? That's pretty much the only thing determing whether or not you would have needed the extra VRAM with two monitors. For just gaming on one monitor and leaving random apps opened up on the other, you'll be fine with the GTX 670.

Well, this is where I profess my complete ignorance in this stuff....I guess I was thinking I could play one MMO and have it be on two screens, kind of like a wide-wide screen...at least when I have seen photos online it looks like they are playing one client, but have the advantage of a lot of screen area.

Otherwise I could see having the 2nd monitor for apps, and in that case I shouldn't worry.

Ok, so maybe I am just stupid...did quick search online, and it seems that having 2 monitors for one game is not so hot....:eek:

Which I guess I should have figured out, with the bezel on both monitors making a nice gap....LOL

So I think I can just be happy with the 670 this go-round....I get way too focused on one game, to try to play two different ones....and have no desire to have two accounts for same game

Well, this is where I profess my complete ignorance in this stuff....I guess I was thinking I could play one MMO and have it be on two screens, kind of like a wide-wide screen...at least when I have seen photos online it looks like they are playing one client, but have the advantage of a lot of screen area.
The only MMORPG I'm aware of where you can stretch it across two monitors and where you can adjust the "center" to avoid bezel issues is Eve Online.

Ok, so maybe I am just stupid...did quick search online, and it seems that having 2 monitors for one game is not so hot....:eek:

Which I guess I should have figured out, with the bezel on both monitors making a nice gap....LOL
Yah pretty much.

So I think I can just be happy with the 670 this go-round....I get way too focused on one game, to try to play two different ones....and have no desire to have two accounts for same game
Cool, crisis averted :)

Back