New Build, Advice most Apreciated!

Rycon

Weaksauce
Alright last build I did several years ago I got advice here at Hard Forum, it was great. Im back again and need more advice! Il try to keep this simple!

What I am after:
Decent Gaming Rig, Red LEDs. Brand new to water cooling so want to learn simple setup.

Case:
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid-Tower Black Case

Mother Board and Proc:
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Motherboard & Intel Core i7 930 Processor Bundle

Memory:
Crucial PC10600 1333MHz 3GB DDR3 Triple Channel Desktop Memory Kit

Power Supply:
Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply

Water Cooler:
Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler

Questions:
I wanted to get into the Triple Channel Memory, the memory I chose doesn't seem awesome but its the easiest kit I can get to start with, hopefuly add 3 more later. Input?

I need advice on a Graphics Card! I wanted to go SLI with my current Superclocked 9600GT but you cant buy them anymore! :( So I guess I will have to get a card now and SLI later. Advice on a decent graphics card is most appreciated, dont need the most uber elite because of $$$, but looking for decent value card. I think I want to stay with Nvidia unless ATI is spanking right now.

Let me know what you think!

Scout is kinda of small case, what about the 690-2?

GTX 465 should do the job for 1080p display.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget can vary, but trying to stay below $1000

3) Where do you live?
NC

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Motherboard/Proc, Power Supply, Water Cooler, RAM.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Hard Drives.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes if possible but not priority.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23' 1680x1050, probably not going to upgrade.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI, Integrated 5.1 Audio, Gigabit Ethernet

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 32 bit. Not sure about 64 bit for gaming.

Why are you buying all this at compusa?
Funding/Account issue.

I might be wrong about the SLI for the 9600gt, apparently you can mix a factory overclocked gfx card with a standard card for SLI. So I can just buy another 9600gt for cheap and SLI!

The 690-2 looks very nice but I kinda had my heart set on RED. Although I think only the Case Fans in the Scout are red, I suppose you could just switch out the fans..

So the is the Size of the scout going to be an issue? I guess its hard to gauge if you cant see it for yourself.

with long video cards like 5850/70 is not going to fit. Right now those card have best value on the market.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget can vary, but trying to stay below $1000

3) Where do you live?
NC

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Motherboard/Proc, Power Supply, Water Cooler, RAM.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Hard Drives.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes if possible but not priority.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23' 1680x1050, probably not going to upgrade.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI, Integrated 5.1 Audio, Gigabit Ethernet

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 32 bit. Not sure about 64 bit for gaming.

Why are you buying all this at compusa?
Funding/Account issue.

I might be wrong about the SLI for the 9600gt, apparently you can mix a factory overclocked gfx card with a standard card for SLI. So I can just buy another 9600gt for cheap and SLI!

There is an essential problem here, your GPU. SLI 9600GT is still very weak, you are much better off getting a better single card solution.

There are a couple of options you have:
Phenom II X6 Build = $830
Phenom II X4 Build = $743
I7 930 Build = $1046

All of these builds have HD5850 GPU's, lemme know what you want I have the builds on newegg.
Edit: I don't have the H50 added for any of these so add that $80 to the price. Again these are on newegg, is there no way you can order online?

So even 9600gt sli is going to be weak.. figures. One card solution it is then.

Tell you what, let me see the build for the I7 at newegg. I have to order it through Compusa but I will see if they can match it and maybe have to flex it a little.

Shadowsong, thank you for your help!

Thanks Danny and Shadow, you have been most helpful. I will let you know how the build goes!

Back