• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Build 600$ budget

Pete22

n00b
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
4
It has been 6 years since I built my last computer, and the laptop I had been using died on me so I am looking to build a new computer with a $600 budget. I wanted to go with intel but I am not set on that. Any suggestions on going either way would be much appreciated as I havent looked at computer hardware for a long time and I am finding myself a bit overwhelmed. I have looked at past posts with 500 dollar builds but many of those included case and power supply which I already have and dont need to include in budget.


I realize with this budget I am not going to get the best of the best but I am looking for the most bang for my buck.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc.
Mainly gaming as well as poker, browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I would like to spend around 600 but can go above that a bit. Taxes and shipping included
3) Where do you live?
Plano, TX
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Hard Drive, Video Card
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Random Black case I already have, its big
Power Supply -Allied ATX500W I am not sure if this will work or not
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Two 20" monitors
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sometime soon within the next week or so
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI would be nice for a future upgrade but not looking for anything in particular
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
I will be buying Windows 7 from school but dont include in budget

Thanks for any help you all can give me
 
CPU + Motherboard. Intel i5-750 + EVGA P55 SLI. Combo Price $329. $289 after MIR OR Intel i5-750 + ASUS P7P55D EVO. Combo Price $325.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.493852
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.495074

Memory. Geil 4GB DDR3 kit. 7-7-7-20. $73
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0144262&cm_re=4gb_ddr3-_-20-144-262-_-Product

Hard Drive. Samsung F3 1TB 7200 RPM. $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=f3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

Video Card. Sapphire 5770. $139. $125 after MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2873&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product

Power Supply. XFX 650W PSU. $99. $69 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=modular_power_supply-_-17-207-007-_-Product

Total costs before rebate: $715
Total costs after rebate: $630

I recommend not to cheap out on the PSU. The XFX PSU should last for years to come and if it doesn't it comes with a 5 year warranty.
 
Last edited:
So my the current power supply I have wouldn't do? I could always replace it later on I thought

Thanks for the links and the advice
 
So my the current power supply I have wouldn't do? I could always replace it later on I thought

It won't do at all. PSUs can kill an entire PC if they're of pretty low quality or can't handle the load. Allied PSUs are pretty shitty:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=65

So yeah, not intelligent at all to use that Allied PSU in any kind of PC you want alive. Also can you provide pictures of the case you're gonna be using? Just because it's big doesn't mean that it has a good airflow layout. Also, it could be big by your standards but really small by ours. So we really need to see this case and make sure that it can cool the hardware that we're recommendeding.

Assuming that you can't spend the extra $100 for vjcsmoke's build, here's a under budget build:

$213 - AMD Phenom II 955 CPU + Asus M4A785TD-M EVO AMD 785G mATX Motherboard
$75 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$140 - Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$145 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU + Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive Combo
---
Total: $573 plus tax and shipping.
 
I think Danny Buis build is more bang for the buck actually. The $715 build that Vicsmoke listed is just a bit too much to pay upfront. The mobo that Danny listed is OOS. Here's a build under $600 that should do nicely

AMD Phenom II X4 955 + Gigabyte GV-R577S)-1GB Radeon HD 5770 both for $273.98 ($20 MIR on video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.494116

Note: The Gigabyte has 3 yrs parts/labor vs the Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB + Corsair 650TX both for $144.98 ($30 MIR on psu)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.492764

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX for $98.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443

G. Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 for $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

Total: $592.94 w/shipping $50 in MIR
 
I am working on getting pictures of the case.

Thanks for all the builds and advice I will definetly be replacing the psu.

What is the benefit of going intel vs amd or visa versa? It seems amd would be a bit cheaper.

Thanks again this is very helpful.
 
What is the benefit of going intel vs amd or visa versa? It seems amd would be a bit cheaper.
Intel is definitely gonna be faster but totally out of your $600 budget range and parts needs.
 
Intel is definitely gonna be faster but totally out of your $600 budget range and parts needs.

not by that much though. When you factor in the $ AMD is still the bang for buck leader imho. Yes I have 2 amd rigs but have had plenty of intel rigs over the years.:D
 
Thought I should give an update, I went with hardwareguru's build and I am on the computer right now. I can't say much yet as I just got the OS installed but thank you everyone for the help.

Edit: Its running very fast!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top