• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New build $1200 budget

depraved

n00b
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
50
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Photoshop, web browsing/work, remote access to other computers
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1200-1300 (tax and shipping are seperate)
3) Where do you live?
Indiana
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
cpu,mobo,memory,case,psu,gpu
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
80gb SSD, 2x 1TB WD
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
3x 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc
if it can be done.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit
Yes 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate


I prefer to go sandybridge i5-2500k I know I do not need the 2600k, don't do enough to warrant the exta $100 in cost. I only game on 1 monitor 1920x1200 6950 will be good I suppose, probably overkill but I don't want to upgrade for a little while. Prefer to go full tower, sick of working in mid towers for my machines, i'd like space to just throw the stuff in there and not be cramped. Looking at either the 800D or HAF X, prefer the 800D in all honesty. Well that's all I have, thank you for the help.
 
$395 - Intel Core i5 2500k and Asus P8P67 Pro combo
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
$80 - G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB DDR 1333
$16 - LG GH22NS50B SATA DVD burner
$300 - XFX HD-695A-CNFC HD 6950 2GB
$145 - Corsair HX750 750 watt modular power supply
=====
$966 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

The combo deal expires on Monday, so grab that now, if nothing else.

If you believe that you'll go dual 6950 in the future, consider the HX850 instead of the HX750.

Get whatever case you like.
 
Thank you tiraides, I was thinking the same thing on PSU, however, if I ever go for dual cards, I think i'll just get a single card(i.e. 6990). I've had dual cards - 2x 4850, 4870,5850,GTX260,280. I've never had a problem with the cards I'm just sick of having to deal with so much hardware. Trying to make things a little easier after toying around with hardware for so long.
 
My case recommendations:
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver ATX Case (US Shipping Factored in) (Fill in the ++++ with "N C I X" without the spaces)
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$200 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$200 - Lian Li PC-B25F ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$240 - Lian Li PC-A71F Black ATX Case
$300 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case
$330 - Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Full Tower ATX Case
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you, got everything ordered, went with 750 psu instead of 850, just won't need it since i'll be replacing 6950 with 6990 when it comes out.Decided to go with 800D, just want a more minimalistic look and the HAF X while nice, just wasn't doing it for me. Went with all your suggestions tiraides again thank you, switched out dvd burner for a blu ray player since i'm going to run an HDMI cable to a 40" TV. I'll get pictures up once everything gets here.
 
Back
Top