New build ($1000)

Vauhs

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming , watching 720/1080p movie files, web browsing, and some photoshop/encoding videos in that order.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 tax and shipping included. Would like to buy from a site with no sale tax if possible.

3) Where do you live?
Tennessee.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything. Would like a case with good airflow, looks does not matter.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Would like to use my Corsair vx450 if I can. If not then that's fine.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Would like to if it didn't hinder the lifespan, and would need help/guide.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
32" 1080p hdtv.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 2 weeks, unless you think I should wait for AMD's 6 cores.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Raid and crossfire would be nice to have, but not required.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No, looking to include Windows 7 into this budget. Also not sure if I should get oem or retail.

Might be slow to respond, using ps3 to post.

$238 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard combo
$105 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$280 - Sapphire 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$90 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$25 - LG GH22NS50 DVD Burner
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
----
Total: $818 plus tax and shipping.

That Corsair 450VX would be enough for the above setup. Amazon doesn't charge tax to Tennessee IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, you left out Windows, but I like the setup. With Windows added should be roughly ~975ish. On that case, does it need more fans or should it be fine? Also do I need a after market cpu cooler incase I overclock down the road, or did you not add one cause it might deteriorate the lifespan if overclocked?

Ok, you left out Windows, but I like the setup. With Windows added should be roughly ~975ish. On that case, does it need more fans or should it be fine? Also do I need a after market cpu cooler incase I overclock down the road, or did you not add one cause it might deteriorate the lifespan if overclocked?

The stock fans will be enough. Didn't include a HSF since it didn't sound like you were fully committed to the idea of overclocking, If done right, overclocking will not deteriorate the lifespan of a CPU. If you do plan on overclocking, I recommend this HSF:
$22 - Xigmatek HDT-S963 92mm Rifle HSF
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

Looks like Danny has you covered. If you're a student, you may qualify for the Ultimate Steal Win7 Pro for $65.

Ordered today, and now I have another question. How do you apply the thermal paste onto the heatsink/cpu. Tried looking onto Arctic Silver's website but it seems the page for the instructions is down. I heard something about just placing a pea sized drop onto the cpu and then apply the heatsink on top of that and it'll spread out itself but not sure if that is correct or not. If you could and happen to have photos of someone doing this that would help alot.

Once I do get this I will post some photos of the build for you all.

For stock coolers the TIM is applied already so you just slap that sucker on there, but there are different methods for different coolers, so you would have to be more specific.

Thanks for the link, this should help alot. If I somehow screwed it up while following that guide is there anyway to tell besides starting it up and watch it go poof? lol

Heh, it won't go poof. If your temps are high, then you know you did something wrong. ;)

Well, I got my computer running and so far the temps was fine. Max at idle is 32 degrees c, but Idid run into a prob and was hoping to get it answered before I set everything in the the case. My cooler is covering the first slot of ram so my ram wouldn't fit. So, myquestion is will it matter if I sit the ram in the two dual memory slots that's further away or should I get another cooler?

If the pc boots with those two sticks in those two slots it should be fine. Check your manual to see if it requires it to be in the first slot.

The manual states that it recommends it in the first two slots if using two sticks. So far as I know no boot issues.

EDIT: During the post screen I noticed it says, "unengaged," after the type of memory.

EDIT #2: In the manual it show two sticks can also be used alone in the far spots but recommends the first two. So what does the the "unengaged," mean during post and how do I tell if it's in dual channel mode?

Last edited:
unengaged? you mean unganged? if so, then it is not in dual channel mode.

post a pic so we can see how you installed the HSF and how it's blocking the RAM. I'm guessing its those damn heatspreaders on the RAM thats giving you issues.

Back