New budget FX line later this year for AM2 and 4x4?

Serge84

Gawd
So I hear a new budget line of FX chips will come out later this year. With reduced L2 under clocked with unlocked multipliers and cost about as much as a X2. This will be for AM2 and 4x4. Is this true? A new FX line anybody can afford?!

This would seem to be counter intuitive to me. The point pf the FX line is not to have an accesible product, its to have a flagship showoff whiz bang product. Making it more accesible makes it far less mystifying and works against the point of thing as I see it. Until you provide a source I'm going to believe that you're just making shit up just to stir up the pot.

it is for 4x4..... from what I've read, the SMP capable AM2 chips for 4x4 will be branded as FX chips....

there might be a whole lineup... remember, AMD wanted a 4x4 setup to go for under a grand...

brucedeluxe169 said:
it is for 4x4..... from what I've read, the SMP capable AM2 chips for 4x4 will be branded as FX chips....

there might be a whole lineup... remember, AMD wanted a 4x4 setup to go for under a grand...

Where did you read this? Please provide info as it would seem very interesting if true.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx

And we all do respect. 1st of all I was the one asking not telling. :rolleyes: I saw it being mensioned somewhere on here thay MIGHT to make 4x4 affordable. And vea rumors. Please look again on my post. I asked. I didn't make shit up. I ASKED IF IT WAS TRUE OR NOT! >_>

Normally I would say this sounds like hogwash and doesn't make sense....but now that AMD is in a position where they will do anything to keep people from going Conroe it could be true.

The FX series doesn't do budget. It's the highest of high-end, and the price reflects that.

joemama said:
Normally I would say this sounds like hogwash and doesn't make sense....but now that AMD is in a position where they will do anything to keep people from going Conroe it could be true.

Exactly. And right now its over priced. A X2 can do just as good in a OC so it makes no difference what it is. It should just be atleast 500 bucks since every other chip is 50% below a FX price. No X2 chip costs over 300 bucks anymore that will stay. So hopefully they will bring the price down. A $500 FX-62 would just be no contest to a X6800. The price IF AMD lowers it that much would destroy the price performance difference all together like the other chips do. If AMD keeps the price nobody will buy a FX chip unless they know nothing of Conroe or just don't care.

Besided the FX-64 is the next CPU. Geeze thats only 2 and a half months after launch 2 FX chips aready. It sipose to come out the 8th. So I guess we will have the FX-66 3 months after that by the end of the year. AMD is really pushing that 90nm to its limit. Rushing out new FX chips. The FX-68 I guess will be rev G in 2007. Maybe that will make the FX chips like the FX62 really cheap when 4x4 comes out. AMD really made 90nm tech perfect. Amazing its still so close in performance to a conroe. But 65nm's will even the battle feild again. Kind of not fair to compare previous gen arcs like K8 to next gen ones like conroe anyways. 4x4 really is a good move tho to counter conroe at the moment. Just hope X2's will be compattible with it. Wouldn't make much sence other wise. The idea is to make a box that will blow away the compitition that costs way less then a conroe. Useing 2 FX's as a must wouldn't make much sence unless they do intend to lower the prices of the FX chips once the next few models come out in the next 3 months.

AMD's roadmap is being rushed. Nobody can go by it anymore. AMD will do anything to be the best again in performance anyways. Everything else is just better.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5990

FX-64 8/8/06

Back