New Beta Driver: 285.79

I got it once before, run the render.perfoverlayvisible 1 or true command. I dont remember it exactly. And check to see how much of each card is being used.

And disable Hyper Threading as well, at least until a patch is released which will allow us to pay sutter free wit it on.

I've tried running tri-SLI and regular SLI with GTX 580s, and in both instances Afterburner reported I was getting consistent 95%+ utilization on all cards in both scenarios. That was with .62 and .79.

Bear in mind though that I disabled HT right of the gate due to others' reports of this problem and the stuttering. I preemptively disabled it though so I never really saw the problem to being with. My setup is similar to yours as well with a 2600K running @ 4.7GHz, so I it shouldn't be getting CPU bottlenecked..

I played Skyrim all weekend without any issues. I installed these beta drivers last night and got 2 crashes (once to desktop and once where the game crashed and hung) within 2 hours. Not real impressed.

I've run these drivers in Skyrim on Ultra 1920x1080 for 8.5 hours based on gameplay stats and zero problems - Skyrim looks awesome.

I've also run these on BF3 and I had a few of the typical problems with the whqls that are currently out but definitely not to the same extent and it appears to have minimized the not responding problems that have popped up so I believe they're working on the problems there.

Overall great drivers for me, I'll be keeping them.

I've run these drivers in Skyrim on Ultra 1920x1080 for 8.5 hours based on gameplay stats and zero problems - Skyrim looks awesome.

I've also run these on BF3 and I had a few of the typical problems with the whqls that are currently out but definitely not to the same extent and it appears to have minimized the not responding problems that have popped up so I believe they're working on the problems there.

Overall great drivers for me, I'll be keeping them.

is your 950 at stock clocks? Also, do you get slowdowns in cities?

2600k @ 4.4 here, 580 SLI. i'm getting slowdowns in skyrim @ 1080P (ultra) in towns, (30-50 fps). anyone?:confused:

2600k @ 4.4 here, 580 SLI. i'm getting slowdowns in skyrim @ 1080P (ultra) in towns, (30-50 fps). anyone?:confused:

Yeah, been happening to a lot of people it seems. Check your GPU usage, I bet its down near 30%. With Sandy Bridge CPU at 4.4 GHz it's pretty obvious it's not a result of CPU limitation either.

There's a couple posts about it over on the Nvidia forums, but who knows what's going on at this point. Pretty frustrating...

I got my first blue screen in years playing Skyrim with this driver. Not sure if it's the game or this specific driver, but it certainly wasn't a good thing.

I got my first blue screen in years playing Skyrim with this driver. Not sure if it's the game or this specific driver, but it certainly wasn't a good thing.

No game should ever make your system blue screen, ever. Its not the game.

Yeah, been happening to a lot of people it seems. Check your GPU usage, I bet its down near 30%. With Sandy Bridge CPU at 4.4 GHz it's pretty obvious it's not a result of CPU limitation either.

There's a couple posts about it over on the Nvidia forums, but who knows what's going on at this point. Pretty frustrating...

Have you ever played Fallout 3, New Vegas, or Oblivion with mods? Yeah, it is the cpu. This game loves a fast cpu just like all open world games do.

Have you ever played Fallout 3, New Vegas, or Oblivion with mods? Yeah, it is the cpu. This game loves a fast cpu just like all open world games do.

So, to max out the game, without mods, with the highest in game settings you need a SB CPU clocked higher than 4.4 GHz like the guy I replied to? I understand open worlds are demanding on a cpu, but that seems pretty out of control.

For the record, I played FO3 and FONV with mods on the same rig I'm using now with much better performance and higher GPU usage.

So, to max out the game, without mods, with the highest in game settings you need a SB CPU clocked higher than 4.4 GHz like the guy I replied to? I understand open worlds are demanding on a cpu, but that seems pretty out of control.

For the record, I played FO3 and FONV with mods on the same rig I'm using now with much better performance and higher GPU usage.

With what mods? I see some nice dips in FO3 with the mods that I use and I don't go crazy with the mods either. I saw some nice dips in vanilla New Vegas with an i5 760. I don't know about you but I can max out Skyrim game fine with my i5 2500k and GTX570. Yeah, I see some dips but for the most part its smooth. If need be turn down the shadow quality a notch, it will free up a ton of performance. The graphics options are there for a reason. I don't understand why people bitch so much when they can't max out every option.

Hell, I'm playing the game in 3d vision right now and only turned down a couple of settings.

With what mods? I see some nice dips in FO3 with the mods that I use and I don't go crazy with the mods either. I saw some nice dips in vanilla New Vegas with an i5 760. I don't know about you but I can max out Skyrim game fine with my i5 2500k and GTX570. Yeah, I see some dips but for the most part its smooth. If need be turn down the shadow quality a notch, it will free up a ton of performance. The graphics options are there for a reason. I don't understand why people bitch so much when they can't max out every option.

Hell, I'm playing the game in 3d vision right now and only turned down a couple of settings.

Sure I can max it but it's just kind of odd that it can drop to a stuttering 25 fps in some cities with 20% usage on each GPU. I've tried turning down various settings and it has practically no effect. Other than playing the game on all medium, I can't get above 35 fps in cities.

Sure I can max it but it's just kind of odd that it can drop to a stuttering 25 fps in some cities with 20% usage on each GPU. I've tried turning down various settings and it has practically no effect. Other than playing the game on all medium, I can't get above 35 fps in cities.

Yeah, something is wrong there. Maybe try an older driver. This one didn't work out too well for me. The game is running smoother on 280.26 for me.

So, what? Drop the shadow quality one notch. Its hardly noticeable. None of these types of games are very demanding on the video card.

I already have shadows in High instead of ultra and it isn't changing anything for me. I tried turning them down to medium and still no change.

I already have shadows in High instead of ultra and it isn't changing anything for me. I tried turning them down to medium and still no change.

Yeah, I just saw your edit. That isn't right. Have you tried a different driver? Does disabling sli help? 280.26 is working really well for me.

Yeah, I just saw your edit. That isn't right. Have you tried a different driver? Does disabling sli help? 280.26 is working really well for me.

I might try rolling back to something tonight. I was under the impression that only the 285.79 drivers have the SLI profile for Skyrim though.

Although I guess it doesn't matter if SLI doesn't work it's barely in use as is.

I might try rolling back to something tonight. I was under the impression that only the 285.79 drivers have the SLI profile for Skyrim though.

Yeah, a single 570 might hold you back in a couple of spots but I doubt that you'll be too disappointed with performance.

I think you'll find the slow down in towns is due to a large amount of over draw when looking in certain direction. In if you walk near to the edge of a city and look out towards the outside world the frame rate will be fine, however if you do a 180 and look at the town the frame rate will take a nose dive. The engine seems to draw everything within the view distance regardless as to if it's visible or not, you could be staring at a flat wall in front of you and the frame rate will take a huge hit provided there is a bunch of stuff behind it.

I think you'll find the slow down in towns is due to a large amount of over draw when looking in certain direction. In if you walk near to the edge of a city and look out towards the outside world the frame rate will be fine, however if you do a 180 and look at the town the frame rate will take a nose dive. The engine seems to draw everything within the view distance regardless as to if it's visible or not, you could be staring at a flat wall in front of you and the frame rate will take a huge hit provided there is a bunch of stuff behind it.

Certainly seems plausible, bu I've tried various levels of draw distance reduction for objects, terrain, etc. and nothing seems to make much of a difference really. Maybe somethings just borked for me personally.

I'm still getting random SLI usage of 60% on BF3.. is anyone else having this problem? The game runs like crap at 60% usage!

I Installed the beta drivers a couple of days ago. I noticed that the game runs smoother. I will check the GPU Usage on my SLI GTX 460.

Will report back

Certainly seems plausible, bu I've tried various levels of draw distance reduction for objects, terrain, etc. and nothing seems to make much of a difference really. Maybe somethings just borked for me personally.

Yeah, I agree with you. Something certainly sounds off.

I'm still getting random SLI usage of 60% on BF3.. is anyone else having this problem? The game runs like crap at 60% usage!

I was at 97-98% usage on both GPUs using the 285.79 beta drivers. So I'm no sure why you might not be getting all the juice from the SLI setup

how do these drivers get released? If I had a company worth as much as nvidia was worth I would have at least 20 different computer configurations set up to see if the drivers really were stable. Clearly nvidia and amd don't do this.

im also getting tanking fps in some cities, especially the city to the far west with the buildings built into the mountain side with all the waterfalls. usually my fps are >80fps in most other areas but i'm seeing drops into the 20's in that particular city. kinda frustrating.

Maybe Im the odd man out in the thread, but Im getting phenomenal performance in bf3 with this driver - can't believe how well it runs.

My brothers both have 4xx series cards and they did not get an improvement, maybe nvidia is just focusing on the newest generation with these updates?

Oof, my dad's new evga 560 (non-Ti) is giving occasional TDRs just sitting at the desktop even with this newest beta driver.

Sorry guys im new to nvidia drivers. I want to try these beta driver for my gtx570. How do you guys uninstall old drivers. Thanks

Sorry guys im new to nvidia drivers. I want to try these beta driver for my gtx570. How do you guys uninstall old drivers. Thanks
Just install 285.79 on top of the existing drivers. You will be fine.

Back