NEW ATI All-in-Wonder HD Announced

berzerker

Gawd

24bq8nr.jpg

25zmknt.jpg

AMD is resurrecting the long-standing AIW line with its first-ever high-definition variant: the $199 ATI All-in-Wonder HD. The PCI Express 2.0 card attempts to handle both PC gaming and HDTV duties by boasting specs like DirectX 10.1 support, a 725MHz engine clock, 600MHz memory clock and MPEG2 / VC-1 / H.264 video decoder acceleration. You'll also find Vista and AMD LIVE! certification badges to go along with the dual-link DVI port, HDMI jack (which supports 5.1 Dolby Digital transmission) and optional component video connectivity. As expected, users can capture live programs (as well as pause / rewind) in SD or HD over-the-air, and there's even support for ClearQAM. For those looking to take their clips elsewhere, the bundled Avivo software converts it for viewing on some of today's most popular handhelds (yes, including the iPod). Look for models from Diamond Multimedia and VisionTek to hit retailers in North America late next month.

This was spotted in the BestBuy inventory system a few weeks ago for $199.

TG Daily article

The card is now based on the Theater Pro 650 chip (the X1900 was based on the 200 version).

AMD claims that the graphics performance of the card will beat a Radeon HD 3650 by 5 to 15% in popular games.

So, I guess the GPU is something close to a 3650. I wonder if it's a low-end 4800 series or a last-gen 3000 series chip. Anyway, it should be nice for HTPC builders.

Nice to see, that's for sure, although...

...well, you gotta wonder about the longevity of this. After all, analog signal tuning is about to go away (less than 12 months left, now). I mean, if this had a digital tuner and could take a CableCard, now THAT would be something.

As it is...*shrugs*

Dunno. Doesn't seem like it would be much more useful than a simple input/output device. And it would be hella cheaper to just do VIVO systems like they used to, rather than full 'All In Wonder' (I'm sure everyone remembers the original Radeon 64 DDR was 'VIVO').

After all, analog signal tuning is about to go away (less than 12 months left, now). I mean, if this had a digital tuner and could take a CableCard, now THAT would be something.
It does have a digital tuner: OTA ATSC DTV and HDTV, plus clearQAM.

Still waiting for DirecTV HD capture cards, why o why cant AMD/ATi make the AIW do this?

Please let there be component in...

looking at the board, it doesn't have any pci-e power plugs or anything... most likely an x6xx series gpu.

It does have a digital tuner: OTA ATSC DTV and HDTV, plus clearQAM.

Yes, but without a CableCard, that's kinda meaningless. Still requires a set-top box. (EDIT: for physical cable, of course. I think for over-the-air, that actually might be enough.)

Yes, but without a CableCard, that's kinda meaningless. Still requires a set-top box. (EDIT: for physical cable, of course. I think for over-the-air, that actually might be enough.)
I agree that CableCard and Satellite tuning/recording is major feature that is lacking, but this will record all free digital TV and unencrypted cable without a box. But really, the lack of this feature is due mostly to strong resistance from Cable and Satellite companies. Even if your hardware supports it, you'll be lucky to get local service and support from your provider. Most of the main dedicated HDTV tuners do not have CableCard support either.

I TiVo a lot of free OTA HD, so it's not meaningless for me. All the other single dedicated card options I've been looking at (Fusion, Hauppauge, AverTV, etc.) have the same limitation as this card, so I don't see it as a minus when you look at the other cards on the market.

They can't give cablecard support because that is heavily regulated. Sucks for us but that is the way it is. I hope this does well and they release something like an HD4850 based AIW for 300$, now THAT would be great. What would be even cooler is if you could get two of them, run crossfire, and record two shows at the same time *drool*.

now this is something i care about switching to! a video card that allows me to expand the uses of my computer while maintaining up to date power-wise.

Can you run this alongside another video card? I don't want any interference. Right now I have a 8800GT but soon I might have a 4870. What kind of slot speed does it need? Will it work in a P35's X16(X4 speed) slot or will I need to get a X38 for it and the video card?

I was a big fan of the AIW cards until they stopped supporting the drivers and discontinued the line. I'm looking forward to the production cards hopefully they will be well supported and if that's true I'll jump back in.

24bq8nr.jpg

25zmknt.jpg

This was spotted in the BestBuy inventory system a few weeks ago for $199.

TG Daily article

So, I guess the GPU is something close to a 3650. I wonder if it's a low-end 4800 series or a last-gen 3000 series chip. Anyway, it should be nice for HTPC builders.

Seems a lot like an HD4850 variant (since AMD can apparently get them by the pallet-load from TSMC). However, this critter, if AMD/Visiontek/Diamond can actually pull this off, will basically be shades of the AIW 9700 PRO/9800 PRO/9600XT.

Built-in HD in *and* HD-out using both the already choice video-out capabilities ATI's had really since R3xx (it's the one category that nV has still not really had any luck challenging them in) and the Theater650Pro's tuner (easily one of the best HD tuner sections from anybody, for any use)? Can somebody say "HTHDPC"?

I have to agree with the earlier comment - it really IS about frickin' time.

I hope this does well and they release something like an HD4850 based AIW for 300$, now THAT would be great. What would be even cooler is if you could get two of them, run crossfire, and record two shows at the same time *drool*.
That would be the ultimate multimedia combo and would save me a PCI slot for other uses. I don't have a CrossFire motherboard but I'd still be interested in running two of those cards just to power my multi-monitor setup and have the capabilities of dual-tuners. I just hope Ati releases this as a hybrid analog/digital tuner card because I don't have digital TV.

I was a big fan of the AIW cards until they stopped supporting the drivers and discontinued the line. I'm looking forward to the production cards hopefully they will be well supported and if that's true I'll jump back in.

The driver support basically went away *only* in Vista (and that was only for the tuner section) - the VIVO side still worked even there. Instead of one card, you wound up needing two cards for HD.

Hardly meaningless. While my TV (42" Philips plasma) supports CableCARD, there isn't one installed, and until SDV gets widely deployed, not every TVROD (TV receive-only-device, including VCRs and tuner-equipped PCs) will need a STB. I actually get quite a bit in clearQAM today, including all the HD OTA in the area I can eat (as well as AEHD, among the basic cable offerings, to name just one). What's sent in clearQAM, of course, differs from cable system to cable system.

It will be very interesting to see if this thing supports crossfire

Back