• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Asus 5970 = BSOD?

Farmer Boe

n00b
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
27
Hey I've just bought an Asus EAH5970 to replace the two 4870's I had in crossfire. When I swap in the 5970, the computer boots as far as the windows loading screen then I get a BSOD when it wants to go into the welcome screen. I've removed the previous drivers via the hardware manager but still no luck. I'm running Windows 7 x64 on my rig. The card seemed to work fine in my secondary computer. I'm rather annoyed right now at this large paperweight sitting beside me. Has anyone heard of this problem? Thanks.
 
Go into safe mode, remove the drivers and BE SURE to check to delete the driver files. Remove both GPUs in device manager. Try again. I got 10.6 working this way, and they FINALLY seem stable.

The fact that ATI hasn't figured this out yet is pretty sad. :-/ The 5970 just seems flakey in general to me. I won't say I regret it...YET. If I keep having issues, I will say it pretty soon though.
 
I've had the 5970s since December, and I'm pretty happy with them.

Not sure what MB you are using, but you could try increasing IOH voltage a couple of notches from default.

What is your MB and PSU type?
 
I've had the same issue. Even though the driver is the same, you can't just plug in a new 5970 over some older ATI card. Mine also BSOD, I had to go into safe mode and run driver cleaner. Everything else was good after that.
 
I'm running a Asus Crossfire IV and an Antec 850W psu...I'm going to try get into windows again and delete the files manually.
 
Back
Top