New Apple 27 with an Nvida GTX 580

DeadByDawn

Limp Gawd
Im thinking about getting the new Apple 27 Thunderbolt display.

Is there a way to get it to work with zero quality loss on a Nvidia GTX 580 (only has dvi and mini-hdmi)?

It has to run at 2560x1440.

If the solution has any quality loss, i am not interested. BTW, I cant buy the Dell 27 for competitive reasons.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thunderbolt needs another IC to seperate the DP link from the PCIe (both encapsulated in TB)...
I haven't heard of an DP-->TB input adaptor, so TB-->DP is a one way tech right now (the adaptors don't work the other way around, yet).

So not even older macbook pros with the mDP connection may use the new displays. IIRC, the old one is still being sold for this reason.

EDIT: with nonDP devices (on the older ACD27 w/o TB), you also need a seperate DVI-->DP adaptor, that costs some 100-200usd (don't recall name or price - check the ACD27 thread on [H] for that info), which is also flaky, so AMD GPU are going to be recommended, with a few custom nonref nVidia cards also as options.

Just get the non-Thunderbolt version and use a DVI-DP adapter (costs about $150) or find a GTX580 with DP output (some non-reference cards have them). Apple will continue to sell the regular 27in model for a while longer since the majority of Mac owners don't yet have a Thunderbolt equipped computer.

I think these adapters affect performance as well as dont go up to 2560x1440. Damn apple, if they just played nice.

You think? Or you did research? Within the thread for the ACD, there has been no mention of performance loss when using any adapter on all 29 pages. There are posts about adapters simply not working though, so steer clear of those models. As these 1, 2, 3 mentions, if you get a nVidia 5-series, get one with a display port (then just use the DP > mDP), or get one of the adapters DVI > mDP. Either those options, bump up to the GTX590 which has a built-in mDP or look at AMD/ATI alternatives.

Last edited:
You think? Or you did research? Within the thread for the ACD, there has been no mention of performance loss when using any adapter on all 29 pages. There are posts about adapters simply not working though, so steer clear of those models. As these 1, 2, 3 mentions, if you get a nVidia 5-series, get one with a display port (then just use the DP > mDP), or get one of the adapters DVI > mDP. Either those options, bump up to the GTX590 which has a built-in mDP or look at AMD/ATI alternatives.

I did the research and the adapters seem to only want to put out 1920x1200 max.
I think the best bet is to see what cards are out around the time BF3 comes out and make a decision then. Hopefully the price will drop by then, but i doubt it.

I checked your links 1, 2 and 3, does that mean that with Radeon 6950 or 6970 you don't need anything, the ACD works on it without any adapters, just plug and play?

I checked your links 1, 2 and 3, does that mean that with Radeon 6950 or 6970 you don't need anything, the ACD works on it without any adapters, just plug and play?

Correct, the ACD27" will be plug and play with any PC running an AMD Radeon 6950/70.

I prefer the amd cards because generally they have more ram and are capable of outputting to more monitors for the same or less cost than a comparable nvidia card. They can even run eyefinity off one card, where nvidia typically requires sli in order to do nvidia surround. Crossfire scales higher than sli according to a few major sites as well. Nvidia cards (or drivers) are also more cpu dependant/cpu retarded.
.. I'd go with nvidia if I wanted 3D.
...If you really want physx you can use old hacked drivers and throw an old nvidia card in the same machine with your main amd gaming card, with the nvidia one doing the physx work.
... If I really needed cuda seriously for adobe apps like premier I wouldn't screw around with a gaming card.. I'd get a professional quadro card for drastic performance increase - so that argument really doesn't apply as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_62559.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html
.. DXVA accel works pretty well in windows7 or if you are using coreavc codec on mpclassic.. besides multi core cpu's really have no prob playing hd videos anymore, especially quads or hyperthreaded quads (~ "8cores").
.. I prob would have gone with two 6950's unlocked/overclocked to near 6970's, crossfired if I had two slots for them. I'm still running a matx for awhile longer so I went with the 6990.
.. I see another thread asking about a samsung 27" 2560x1440 that is reportedly glossy by the way. I have to investigate that. I had originally considered adding two more ACD's for eyefinity next year but now that they are making them all thunderbolt I'm not sure if I will buy two more at xmas/tax return time. It depends on the avail and pricing of the original 27" minidp ACD's vs the price and reviews of the 27" samsung at that time I guess. Otherwise I might end up saving the money twd a QuadHD in the following year(s).

Thanks elven for the response. I agree with everything you said. I currently have an IPS 26" planar and love it. The machine i am using it on is primarily a gaming machine. Wheter it makes sense or not, i am however a long time Nvidia loyalist. I always sell my current and buy the next gen card when they come out. It's kinda like leasing. I am a hardcore gamer and a snob for graphics and image quality. I like Nvidia cause they drivers seem very well supported (so are amd) and have treated me well over the years.

My goal is to get the best picture/experience possible while gaming. I did the math, and the 27" monitor running 2560 x 1440 has the highset pixel density in a monitor. (even more dense than a 30 by about 8 percent). I tried a 30" hp and while it was nice, i was not blown away. I actually like my 26" better. To me 27 seems to be the sweet spot (at least on paper). Out of all the monitors that do that resolution, the apple seems the nicest.

I guess my strategy at this point is to wait unitl the next gen Nvidia comes out (hopefully before BF3). then re-evaluate the display landscape. If it is still what it is today, the apple may be the best choice. Also i have seen the non-thunderbolt display and it looks nice. But since the thunderbolt display costs the same price, why would anybody even want the other 27 inch model. They both have mini-display port. Unless i am missing something.

Thunderbolt =/= displayport. It's only compatible in one direction, so far, and that's Thunderbolt (with a special adaptor), outputting to DP.

yw DeadByDawn.
...I know I sound like an amd fanboy but thats just for this generation, if similar tradeoffs/ considerations I outlined were reversed in future gpu generations I wouldn't hesitate to switch to nvidia if I was upgrading in that period.
I agree ~ 27" is the sweet spot perspective-wise vs seating distance but I think anything 23"+ to 30" would work at the right distances -/+ and even 20" and 22" aren't that bad up closer. I do prefer multiple displays regardless of the screen sizes. Part of the time I hang out on my 17" 1080p laptop in dual monitor setup with a 23" 1080p samsung and I don't find it painful at all.
.. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice for very high resolutions at most of the screen sizes. About pixel densities.. I did some math recently too, and posted this in a few threads lately lol.. (I was trying to get a better idea of the differences).

----------------------------------------------------------
"Quad full HD" IPS panels in the next year (or two).. 3840x2160 27" 16:9 option eventually that could swallow current resolutions whole 16:10 or not... :p
http://flatpanelshd.com/pictures/lgsid2011-1l.jpg
.. 1920 vs 2560x
.. 1920 vs 2560 ~> +320 left, +320 right (+640 wider)
...1200 vs 1440 ~> +120 top, +120 bottom (+240 taller)
...1200 vs 1600 ~> +200 top, +200 bottom (+400 taller)
...1080 vs 1440 ~> +180 top, +180 bottom (+360 taller)
...1080 vs 1600 ~> +260 top, +260 bottom (+520 taller)

.. "block of four 1080p resolutions ~ Quad Full HD 3840x2160"

.. 1920 vs 3840 ~> +960 left, +960 right (+1920 wider)
.. 1200 vs 2160 ~> +480 top, + 480 bottom(+960 taller)
...1080 vs 2160 ~> +540 top, +540 bottom (+1080 taller)

.. 2560 vs 3840 ~> +640 px left , +640px right.. (+1280 wider)
...1600 vs 2160 ~> +280 px top, +280px bottom (+560 taller)
...1440 vs 2160 ~> +360 px top , +360px bottom (+720 taller)

Pixel densities

27"......3840 x 2160......166 ppi ...... ????? mm... <---- Yummy
27"......2560 x 1440......108.8 ppi......0.2335 mm
30"......2560 x 1600......100.6 ppi......0.2524 mm
24"......1920 x 1200.......94.3 ppi......0.2692 mm
24"......1920 x 1080.......91.8 ppi......0.2767 mm

Would the new Apple Cinema Thunderbolt display also work this way or not?

No, Thunderbolt is not compatible with DisplayPort in both directions. Kanex is working on a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapter, but there is no ETA. Until then, it is impossible to use with a PC (unless nVidia or AMD release a Thunderbolt GPU for desktop PCs).

No, Thunderbolt is not compatible with DisplayPort in both directions. Kanex is working on a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapter, but there is no ETA. Until then, it is impossible to use with a PC (unless nVidia or AMD release a Thunderbolt GPU for desktop PCs).

Thanks. Is there maybe a way to connect my Radeon 5450 to ACD, maybe a mini displayport to HDMI adapter that displays the full resolution with no picture quality lose? Would be very nice if i wouldn't need to purchase a new graphics card, especially such a expensive one because i don't play games.

Thanks. Is there maybe a way to connect my Radeon 5450 to ACD, maybe a mini displayport to HDMI adapter that displays the full resolution with no picture quality lose? Would be very nice if i wouldn't need to purchase a new graphics card, especially such a expensive one because i don't play games.

Looks like that i will have to buy the Radeon 6950 because all hdmi or dvi to mini displayport adapters that work properly cost almost as much as the 6950, crazy, i rather get the graphics card then.

Back