New Amiga to Go on Sale in Late 2017

Wow quite a lot of hate for the Amiga. Vampire is a hobbyist effort that created a next generation 68000 processor from scratch without corporate funding. That's a serious achievement.

Obviously this isn't going to be something that competes against PC or mobile but it will be a way for a lot of people to run Amiga software (and probably Atari ST) unemulated (fpga is hardware) without having to buy increasingly expensive old computers.

I still love my old atari 800. It's a big old box that was an engineering masterpiece in 1979 - custom chips meant graphics and sound way beyond apple ii, vic20, and trs80 and the CPU even ran 79% faster (1.79mhz). It also had an early form of USB - smart devices that chained together to a serial port and exchanged information and could even power themselves from the bus. In many ways equal or more ahead of it's time than amiga 1000.

Contrary to my opinion go ahead and buy this thing I personally don't care what you do with your money. I am cynical about this. For years Amiga cult groups pushed a rebirth. Might as well make it a religion the way they go on and on. Nostalgia is just another way to part a fool and his money. I loved my Amigas but they are DEAD and will stay buried. I for one won't waste my time on extinct technology.....PS my opinion does not make me a troll.

They've made a fortune on the Vampire accelerator it's based on, they're selling like hotcakes and they're worth a fortune. You have to pre order just to reserve one.

Don't fall for the assumption that there's no market for modern expansions regarding retro hardware - It surprises the shit out of me that the [H] forums don't offer a retro subforum.

I agree, retro-computing is becoming extremely popular in recent years, and it would be super nice if we had a subforum dedicated to it specifically.
Technically, any computer equipment 15+ years old is considered retro.

I don't personally have any Amiga equipment (the cost, oh lord...) but I would really like if someone wanted to post their Amiga collection in my retro-computing thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/red-falcons-retrocomputing-thread.1841374/

The same goes with the Sharp X68000, PC-98, PDP, or any other foreign or exotic systems from the 1950s to the 2000s.

I still love my old atari 800. It's a big old box that was an engineering masterpiece in 1979 - custom chips meant graphics and sound way beyond apple ii, vic20, and trs80 and the CPU even ran 79% faster (1.79mhz). It also had an early form of USB - smart devices that chained together to a serial port and exchanged information and could even power themselves from the bus. In many ways equal or more ahead of it's time than amiga 1000.
Same with you, please share! :D

Reactions: blkt
like this
Wow quite a lot of hate for the Amiga. Vampire is a hobbyist effort that created a next generation 68000 processor from scratch without corporate funding. That's a serious achievement.

Obviously this isn't going to be something that competes against PC or mobile but it will be a way for a lot of people to run Amiga software (and probably Atari ST) unemulated (fpga is hardware) without having to buy increasingly expensive old computers.

The A1000 was derived from Amiga Corporation's Lorraine project which had ex-Atari employees, including Jay Miner. Originally Lorraine was, under contract, intended as an exclusive design for an Atari game console and then one year later with keyboard as a computer (Atari 1850XLD). The Atari ST was developed by ex-Commodore employees. :confused: Things could have very easily been so very different.

Similar to the C64, custom dedicated chips for graphics and sound - Awesome to play M.U.L.E on due to four joystick ports. I'd love to hear more about your Atari 800, they were a well engineered tank of a machine! I want one. Perhaps post some images here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-amiga-2017.1941707/

It's a thread on the new Amiga, like this one, but I've posted pics of my C64 in there, so it should be good!

I agree, retro-computing is becoming extremely popular in recent years, and it would be super nice if we had a subforum dedicated to it specifically.
Technically, any computer equipment 15+ years old is considered retro.

I asked at one stage in the 'Forum help and feedback thread', Kyle didn't seem interested.

Back