New All Purpose Build...Decisions, Need Help!!

Hey everyone, checking in here so you all can help me make up my mind. I normally frequent here but don't normally post, just read for info.

Here's my dilema: I need a desktop PC, like yesterday! My boys took over my laptop (C2Duo) and desktop (old X2 3800+). I had recently bought a 10" EEE PC for traveling or surfing the web in bed, which I love. Now I need to build a new desktop.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

I'm planning on using this for a little of everything: 1) internet/word processing (work & Master's) 2) photoshop/lightroom 3) gaming (when I have time which is normally between classes) 4) video editing (may try later)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Don't have a specific budget, maybe $1500 not including peripherals. But don't want to spend more than I need to.

3) Where do you live?

South Korea, so shipping can be expensive

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

CPU, RAM, Motherboard, GPU, HDD

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing anything.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Maybe, I read its fairly easy w/ core i7 but won't be doing nothing extravagant.

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?

The plan is to eventually have a 30" and (2) 20". Since I'm in Korea I will test one of the these PC-Bank (DoubleSight) or Angel (LG) by buying a 20". If I'm pleased I can pickup the other two no problem. These monitors will cost less than one dell 30" in the states so I want to take advantage of my opportunity.

Options, which I keep going back and forth with:

1) Core i7 build: 920 + motherboard ? + RAM? + WD Black 640Gb
Should I get a cheap (9800gt) video card now to get the system up and running and than when I get the 30" than get the latest gpu out, since I will need a second card to run the two 20" monitors, correct?

Memory, I can start with 6gigs, would like to get to 12 when its cheaper but concerned about issues I'm reading about.

2) Q9550 + Asus P5Q Pro (other?) + 8 gig + 260 + and than add as mentioned above

I'm not the kind of person that will continuously parts (except above) once my rig is finished. Probably won't do SLI, but what about a 3 slot X58 board, 280 SLI running 30" and than second card running two 20"?

Sorry so long, oh, time is not on my side. I basically need to order with in the 2 weeks so that I can build before my next class starts (Jan 13). Thanks.:confused:

I have a few questions:

- What's the main priority for this rig?
- Which games do you plan on playing? Which visual settings do you want?
- Do you have any local shops where you could buy components at?

1. My use is stated in the original post:1) internet/word processing for Master's course and work. The problem is that I know I could get by with a C2D for that, I'd rather plan for the most demanding usage.

2. I'm not up on the latest games will be trying new games out there, AssCreed, World of Conflict. Not sure what is coming out either.

3. There is a shop but for major components I would rather buy from Newegg, etc since the price difference is pretty high.

Which monitor(s) do you have already?

What's the native resolution(s) of said monitor(s)?

When were you planning to buy the other monitors?

Dont have the monitor yet but will probably start with a 20" (1600X1200) and than upgrade to a tri setup 20"x30"x20").

Back