New 8800gts/8800GT pictured/specced

lol

I might SLI 2 of the 512mb's if they're worth it just because it's single slotted.

Ditto. 10,800 in 3DMark06 seems spot on with the 8800GTS 320/640 cards. Looks I will be parting with my 8800GTS 320MB soon and getting two of the 512MB bad boys, unless RV670 turns out to be faster, then I have to unload my SLI motherboard and get one that supports Crossfire. Sigh.

Minus the HSF design this is fairly reminiscent of the 6800 PCB design, at least from the rear...

10K for a midrange card is badass. Finally. The brother of a friend of mine is looking to build a new system and was just about to settle on a current DX10 midrange card.

I dont think this is real,unlocking 12 shaders and 4 rops and still leaving it all on 90nm !!??

WTF? This stinks...

I just ordered my new system today. With no graphics card. Going to use an old Voodoo 3 PCI until these new cards come out.

This is exactly what I was waiting for. The real midrange affordable cards with 256 bit bus.

Though I am not sure if it will be this or the ATI RV670 cards. The ATI solution looks like it might be a bit stronger. Hopefully they both hard launch in November.

Edit: Changed my mind and ordered a 7900GS to go with the system, probably good enough for my needs for a while.

Ya but for what you're paying now vs. what you'll pay for a new card that performs much better according to what it is.. you're getting ripped.

Ya but for what you're paying now vs. what you'll pay for a new card that performs much better according to what it is.. you're getting ripped.

You are talking about cards that don't even exist yet, arriving a month or longer into the future and then paying the original inflated release price($250+), having no 3d capability at all in the interim.

Versus getting a decent card now(7900GS) for minimal cash (~$99) and having the luxury of waiting some really good deals on future cards.

If you have something decent already it might make sense to wait for the G92, otherwise it makes sense to get something decent until you really need something better, when it will likely be cheaper/faster.

If you take the attitude that buy something today is a ripoff because there will be something cheaper/faster in the future, you would never buy anything.

You are talking about cards that don't even exist yet, arriving a month or longer into the future and then paying the original inflated release price($250+), having no 3d capability at all in the interim.

Versus getting a decent card now(7900GS) for minimal cash (~$99) and having the luxury of waiting some really good deals on future cards.

If you have something decent already it might make sense to wait for the G92, otherwise it makes sense to get something decent until you really need something better, when it will likely be cheaper/faster.

If you take the attitude that buy something today is a ripoff because there will be something cheaper/faster in the future, you would never buy anything.

I normally would agree, but these cards are a few weeks away and are MUCH better performance-wise per dollar spent (overall value) to the point it would be comically absurd not to just wait and deal without your games for a short bit (or just buy a low-end card and sell it for a $20 loss to cover your gaming needs for the month).

I normally would agree, but these cards are a few weeks away and are MUCH better performance-wise per dollar spent (overall value) to the point it would be comically absurd not to just wait and deal without your games for a short bit (or just buy a low-end card and sell it for a $20 loss to cover your gaming needs for the month).

It is equally absurd to wait for rumored technology and be limited to 2d in the interim. These are pretty substantial rumors and like I said if I already had a card maybe, but all I have is a 3dfx Voodoo3 PCI card that only has one VGA out. I have two monitors and i can't even drive both of them with that. I would have 1 monitor in 2d only for a month or longer. Then I would have to rush to buy. I prefer to wait until the G92/RV670 are benchmarked against each other and the inital price gouging is over. That might be January.

As far as getting a low end card in the interim. I am paying $99 for something that is actually usable (7900GS). It actually has all the performance I need vs paying $40-$50 for a piece of junk 6200. I am sure I could sell the 7900GS for a $20 dollar loss, if I felt I needed more power, but it will play every game I own and every thing I am interested in with flying colors.

My 7900GS will depreciate in price slower than hot new cards will, so even if I do want one G92/RV670, I will probably still be ahead financially selling by 7900 and buying one after the inital price inflation is gone.

The most sensible thing for me to do is use the 7900GS until I actually need more power, by then there might be a G100/RV700 series for even less money. My situation is somewhat unique. Certainly if you already have a usable card it makes sense to wait. I don't.

I am extremely happy with the 7900GS bang/buck at $99 and it will do everything I need. Not everyone wants to play 8800GTX crushing Crysis you know.

available October 29th according to VR-Zone. looks like ATI might be providing some competition with the HD2900 Pro/HD2950 Pro, which would explain the rush for nvidia to release this card.

Anything yet on whether it does the full HD decoding / CPU offloading that the 8600GTS does?

i stil dont understand why so many people have heart attacks whenever something better/cheaper comes out, as if its a BAD thing. its called progress. sell your old stuff, add some more money and buy the latest and/or greatest.

this is hobby, an expensive one to boot. buying computer hardware is NOT an investment. computer hardware is NOT an investment. computer hardware is NOT an investment. go open a savings account or something. losing money is just part of this hobby. people who fail to come to terms with this fact imo should find another hobby.

i stil dont understand why so many people have heart attacks whenever something better/cheaper comes out, as if its a BAD thing. its called progress. sell your old stuff, add some more money and buy the latest and/or greatest.

this is hobby, an expensive one to boot. buying computer hardware is NOT an investment. computer hardware is NOT an investment. computer hardware is NOT an investment. go open a savings account or something. losing money is just part of this hobby. people who fail to come to terms with this fact imo should find another hobby.

Your paying for your time to be entertained. To some its worth more than others. Losing money in this hobby is quite subjective. Its not really much different than going to an arcade, conceptually anyway.

Ya Snowdog.. you're basically advocating throwing $100 away for 3 weeks of functionality. Why not put that towards your purchase??

Ya Snowdog.. you're basically advocating throwing $100 away for 3 weeks of functionality. Why not put that towards your purchase??

He's not really throwing it away, he can resell it or use it on another comp, plus 3 weeks will feel like an eternity without games.

Some people are unbelievably dense. I changed my original plan. It won't be for 3 weeks.

Now that I have the 7900GS, I will be using it until I NEED more performance. I might even use it for more than a year and be looking at ATI HD 3800 vs NV 9800 late next year. Either way, now that I have the 7900, I won't be looking at a new card before 2008. This is massive improvement over my recently toasted ATI 9700 Pro, it will keep me happy for some time.

I don't think I will ever have a problem finding a buyer for XFX 7900GS with double lifetime warranty, so the buyer gets a full lifetime warranty when I sell it. Dual dual-link DVI and very decent gaming performance to the majority of people who don't seriously game.

The worse part is, that I have the card now, but I don't have my new computer yet. Which is ironic, because I ordered the computer a day before and was figuring on being in the opposite situation.

I am not impressed by these specs. Why would you buy year old technology with a tweak? And knowing NVidia, they are still going to try to charge $400 for the 640MB.

I will be thrilled if the RV670 totally kicks ass, because that is the only thing that seems to motivate NVidia. The Ultra was an insult when it first came out. This isn't much different, and they dropped the 320MB GTS. If they expect to call this a "new" product, they ought to drop the price significantly. I'm tired of the 8800 series, to be honest, and NVidia has made their money off of it. Bring out something new, this is just milking old R&D for all it is worth. I hope the RV670 blows it away, and we can finally get some decent price drops and new high end.

Besides, I have a 1920x1200 monitor, and while NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer runs much better than when NWN2 came out, I'd still like a few more frames :). The "new" GTS sounds like a cut down GTX for the same high price we had the GTS 640 at for a year, almost.

Back