New $800 build

tacosareveryyummy

Supreme [H]ardness
I need some build help please.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily software development, general use, and gaming. Gaming will mainly consist of strategy games such as Civ 5 and Rome Total War 2.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I would like to stay as close as possible to $800 including tax and shipping.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Tallahassee, FL. I have a Best Buy and nothing else really as far as tech stores go.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
cpu, mobo, ram, video card, psu, hard drives, case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a 640gig mechanical drive that I will be reusing. So I would prefer to purchase an ssd drive.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I'm planning on purchasing a 24 inch, 1920x1080 lcd along with the rest of the parts.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Ready to buy today. I'm currently stuck on a 13 inch laptop.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I can't think of anything outside the norm that I will need. I don't game enough to make crossfire/sli necessary.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I already have a Windows 7 64 bit key. I also use Linux heavily so compatibility is a must.

As a first approximation, I was thinking of something on the order of:
i5-4570
MSI Z87-G41
MSI R7850
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Samsung 840 EVO
CORSAIR CX series CX500
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Grab this motherboard instead:

$75 - MSI B85M-G43

And this stick of RAM instead of the dual-channel kit:

$56 - Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (included 15% discount promo code EMCWWXW232, ends 11/7)

This case, IMO, is better than the Antec 300:

$43 - NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX mid-tower case

And don't forget to use the promo code that's available for the processor.

Out of curiosity, which monitor are you considering?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I pretty much concur 100% with tiraides' recommendations.

As for that monitor, not a half-bad choice.

Back