• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New 5.1 speakers

Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
49
I have an X-Fi card (the cheapest one, XtremeMusic I believe). I have Yamaha yst-ms50 2.1 speakers right now, though I have surround sound speakers for my TV and such that I occasionally use a digital coax cable to connect to the PC, but I'd like to have more condensed surround sound (and I suspect that I'm not really getting true surround sound anyway).

I'm looking to get some new surround sound computer speakers. From looking around on this board and others, and reviews on cnet and the like, I'm looking at the Logitech Z-5500 or the Creative G500. I don't want to spend a whole lot more than that ($150-$250), that's the general price area I'd like to stick to. I'll be using them mostly for PC games and downloaded videos/movies/tv shows and such, very little music. I've heard a lot about Klipsch speakers too, though I'm not sure of any 5.1 surrouond PC speakers that aren't significantly more expensive.

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience that could enlighten me on the topic? Thanks.
 
z-5300e if you're willing to save a little money and you only want to use them for PC/RCA uses. If you need optical or coax, I'd go with the cheaper of the 5500 or G500.
 
There's only a $50-60 difference between the G500 and the Z-5500. It's $200 plus free shipping for the G500 on Amazon and $260 plu free shipping for the Z-5500. Zipzoomfly also sells the Z-5500 for $250 plus free shipping.

Personally, I think the Z-5500 is a bargain at $250 considering that the original MSRP was $400 when it debut while the G500 was originally $250. The Z-5500 is louder (more watts) and has digital inputs.

On the other hand, Creative sells matching floor stands for the G500 whereas you have to get 3rd party home theater floor stands for the Z-5500.

I also happen to be shopping for 5.1's as well. I ruled out the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 because it was too expensive and because of all the complaints of amp failure. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Z-5500 because it gives you more bang for your buck. But I wouldn't mind getting the G500 if it went on sale for a really cheap price.
 
I don't think you can really go wrong with either one....choose based on your budget.
 
-=Antimatter=- said:
z-5300e if you're willing to save a little money and you only want to use them for PC/RCA uses. If you need optical or coax, I'd go with the cheaper of the 5500 or G500.

I just need the coax cable to go to my sound card from my existing room surround sound speakers, not the new computer speakers. From what I understand, I would be much better served to have all of the computer speakers connect individually to the card rather than to use an optical or coax cable, in order to take full advantage of my X-Fi card.
 
Has anybody heard the G500? I can't seem to find people that have and have thoughts on it, or how it compares to the 5500.
 
Cycloptersaurus said:
Has anybody heard the G500? I can't seem to find people that have and have thoughts on it, or how it compares to the 5500.

Well, the problem is that most people usually have either the Z-5500 or the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1. Hardly anyone has the G500, hence the only handful of user reviews on Amazon and Newegg.

And here's the funny thing. I read the reviews on GDHardware and they didn't think much of the G500. And they seem to know what they're talking about.
http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/speakers/creative/g500/001.htm

However, PCWorld's subjective listening tests ranked the G500 2nd and the Z-5500 3rd on audio quality alone (Klipsch got 1st place).
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124632,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124631,00.asp
 
Huh, thanks for the links, quite enlightening actually. It sounds like I'd be well off to go with the Z-5500. Sounds like Zipzoomfly would be the best place to get it too, with the free shipping.
 
i just bought the 5450s. they have wireless speakers in the back and a decoder for 24/92 and dts and dolby and all that. great set. it has less watts, but i don't need that many anyway.
 
Back
Top