New 42" LCD

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bought a new LG 42LG50 about a week ago from Circuit City. I finally got back home so I could set it up yesterday. I watched the Vikings-Eagles game on OTA HD and it was amazing. The only problem was I think a pixel or two might be messed up.

About 2 inches down and 2 inches from the right edge there is a spot that, when there was purple on the screen (Vikings colors) it was white. That is the only time I ever notice the problem. Black shows up fine, and all of the other colors are great. The green grass never gave any problems. I am wondering a few things.

Is that a dead pixel?

If it is, is there any way to fix that or should I just go ahead and exchange the tv?

Should I realistically expect all of the pixels to work perfectly or is that par for the course on a LCD tv?

Will I need to show this phenomenon to anyone at CC when I get there to exchange it?

Is there a dvd I can buy/download that would show the colors on the screen for proper calibration and to test for dead pixels? I would really prefer the download one if legal.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope I put this in the right forum.

Its possibly a stuck pixel or set of stuck pixels. Dead pixels show up as black, and dead sub-pixels (red, green, or blue) show up as black for that specific color. Ie a dead red sub-pixel will show up as black on reds, and the red component of a color will be missing from that pixel, so it is likely not a dead one, it's just possibly "stuck open".

Dead pixel buddy will allow you to flash up red, green, blue, black or white and then you can visually scan the pixels for any dead ones. Stuck pixels show up as a colored pixel on a completely black screen.

Here's a link to DPB, which may help you find the pixel, or show the CC employees (if need be) for exchange.

http://www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

In my opinion, I would not accept a dead or stuck pixel on an LCD TV or monitor, but everyone is different. My LG 37LB5D 37" arrived with a completely perfect panel.

Sometimes massaging the pixel or massaging around it can fix it, but don't press too hard and put a cloth over your finger to massage it so you don't scratch the coating on the panel.

Thanks for the link. I have also done a bit of looking and seen a few suggestions on things to try.From what I have read a dead or hot pixel will not be repairable, but a stuck pixel might be ok.

It is really strange that I only noticed the spot when I was watching the football game last night, and not when I was watching a movie. Hopefully I will set up the computer by there tonight and everything will be ok.

Yeah, I would definitely take that back. My experience in taking back such items to CC or BB is that they are going to want to see the imperfection.

Thanks for the help guys. I just got done testing things and I guess there was just something wrong with the broadcast signal. I am really loving this tv. The transition from a 21" CRT to a 42" LCD has been easy to deal with to say the least.

Back