New 3570k a problem?

deeplove

Limp Gawd
Hi there. I'm a proud new owner of a 3570k. Here's the problem.

I use this rig for Folding@Home. Problem is that after a while the rig freezes. I can't alt control delete out. Hard Reset. Well.

P8Z77-V Pro
Corsair GS600
Hyper X 1600mhz 8GB
Vertex 4

That's my current setup. Before I had a old HDD and P8Z77-V. Ok. I ran tests on the RAM per module and nothing. Kept freezing. I put in a different pair and it did the same thing. Ruled that out. I thought it was the MOBO. P8Z77-V. I swapped that out and it did it with my new board. Froze. So, someone told me the HDD. Old. I swapped that out. Vertex 4. New SSD and it froze once. Currently it's Folding and no issues after that one lock up.

So...I'm running Linux Mint. I changed it from Ubuntu thinking it was Ubuntu. Nope, it did it with Mint so I also ruled that out. Last two things to check? PSU and 3570k. The PSU was on a AMD rig that was folding 24/7 with a HD 6850 folding on it also. Could it be that the 3570k is bad?

No this is the issue. The tim doesnt transfer heat at fast enough rates creating heat spikes on newly initiated loads. I did a prime test which passed but on arkham city it would spike a lot which created freezes. Aftermarket tim mod helps, but this chip in general kinda sux

Ouch. Any remedies? I don't want to say it sucks since I shelled out the cash for it.

Buy a ghetto 6 pack razor from rite aid and throw some aftermarket tim on it, or that indigo stuff will work well also. Or sell and buy used 2500k. 2 options. Sucks cause I waterblock and temps are 45 on load, but spike to 75 80 on new loads

Bah. God damn. Not an option. Wife will cut my freaking balls off if I do.

With my CM cooler I'm at full load @ 50-52c at most. God. Now I see why it freezes.

Do you think if I'm using it without OCing the darn thing I'd still have that problem? Man, now I don't want to touch the bios and I actually want to turn the whole Turbo shit off. Incredible.

So RMA the processor. If it is freezing like that while running at stock speeds, it is a faulty chip.

No reason to de-lid it to fix Intel's screw up.

Even if the temp spikes at stock speeds, and then comes back down, it is faulty... Even if it isn't freezing up at stock speeds.

I have never seen a CPU do this, but now I am hearing about this stock TIM issue on the new Intel CPUs...

Bah, even the old AMD Athlon 64 x2 and Opterons wouldn't do this... but you could still get a 20c load temp decrease by de-lidding them.

how is the rma process. i know i cant take the thing back to the store. do i just call intel up and let them have a piece of my mind before sending it off to them?

To be perfectly honest I have not ran much on stock speeds, I OCed right away. Its because the thermal transfer capacity of the TIM cannot transfer heat as fast as the solder, leading to a surplus of heat. After like 5 seconds, it cools back down its the weirdest thing. This issue alone hampers my OC stable speeds. Hope haswell doesn't have this issue...I'm selling the chip in 9 months. My chip is lapped too, so heat can pass through quicker.

Don't think its an RMA fix. Its the chip that is having this issue...but perhaps it is on the other hand...if they machined the IHS too unevenly it could cause large gaps in the TIM.

I have the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K running at 4.3GHz with a Corsair H100, I run it for hours with LinX and IBT and never had a single problem with it. At 4.3GHz I am running just under 80c on the above tests. I would check for other areas first like updating Bios and drives. Also check the memory most of the Kingston HyperX is running at 1.65v and the processor only supports memory at 1.5v ±5% (1.425v to 1.575v). If all this doesn't work drop the processor to stock and test it at that to see if you are still having the issue. In the end you can call our technical support at 916-377-7000.

What kind of volts are you running that at? I'm sorry but that sounds atrocious especially with an H100 :eek:

I'm going to say this right now deeplove: if you're running stock then I seriously doubt temperatures are your problem.

In this forum we have monkeys who automatically assume you're running into the same problems they ran into that one time they ran their Ivy Bridge processor at 5.0 GHz and 1.5v.

If you're running Linux, I would probably look into that first. Intel has a history of poor linux graphics drivers in recent years, with many complaining of stability months after sandy bridge was released:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/...dybridge-graphics-driver-i915-i7-2620m-2.html

And the stability problems seem alive and well with Ivy Bridge graphics:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/146131/intel-ivy-bridge-z77-driver-for-ubuntu-12-04

This is made worse because drivers in the Linux kernel run at kernel space with full hardware access, so bugs can take out your entire system. This is as-opposed to Windows (since Vista) which runs the drivers in user space and (usually) won't take down the whole system if it crashes.

I would try Windows before you call your entire system a lost cause. I've never had my system crash running Win7 64 + HD 2000.

Last edited:
you know, you make sense. my temperatures are at most 52c while folding at 100%. I have a Cooler Master V6 Gt with both 120mm fans. I run at stock clocks and I believe the only thing I'm using different is the XMP profile for my Hyper X ram.

I did want to transfer over my Windows 7 copy to this PC but don't know if the whole authentication crap applies. I love my system and it's fast as f**k but man, if it's a driver issue then I'd slap myself for it. So there is no work around the driver issue with Linux and the Driver? I can't update my drivers on the mobo? Real sorry. I'm totally new to Linux.

The XMP profile on hyper X ram turns the voltage up to 1.65. If you use the standard jedec, it should stick to 1.5v. I'd try putting the ram back to stock and see if that helps.

you know, you make sense. my temperatures are at most 52c while folding at 100%. I have a Cooler Master V6 Gt with both 120mm fans. I run at stock clocks and I believe the only thing I'm using different is the XMP profile for my Hyper X ram.

I did want to transfer over my Windows 7 copy to this PC but don't know if the whole authentication crap applies. I love my system and it's fast as f**k but man, if it's a driver issue then I'd slap myself for it. So there is no work around the driver issue with Linux and the Driver? I can't update my drivers on the mobo? Real sorry. I'm totally new to Linux.

No, unless you can patch code what you get is what you get :D

In terms of testing with Windows, you get 30 days before you have to activate. That should be plenty of time to test things out.

Last edited:
Ya good point run a discrete gpu and turn ram to 1333MHz @ 1.5 and see if its stable. All ram can do that.

Oh and intel rep on the forum running 4.3 @ 80c w h100...I have to take a second and laugh really hard
Hahahahahahahahahahaha. I think I ran 4.3 on stock voltage stable with ppl @ 1.8v

Buy a ghetto 6 pack razor from rite aid and throw some aftermarket tim on it, or that indigo stuff will work well also. Or sell and buy used 2500k. 2 options. Sucks cause I waterblock and temps are 45 on load, but spike to 75 80 on new loads

This. Until the SMALLEST CUT FROM THE SHITTY RAZOR RUINED MY 3570k.

I now have a $200 paper weight with a coollaboratory liquid ultra mirror finish on it.

Ideas? sadface.

This. Until the SMALLEST CUT FROM THE SHITTY RAZOR RUINED MY 3570k.

I now have a $200 paper weight with a coollaboratory liquid ultra mirror finish on it.

Ideas? sadface.

That is why you don't cut towards the CPU.. or use the corner of the razorblade for that matter...

The best way to do it is to use the middle of the razorblade to cut each corner... and don't angle the razor.. keep it parallel to the CPU.

Sounds faulty to me, I'm running a similar setup (P8Z77-V Pro and 3570K @ 4.5) and it chugs along just fine. The people telling you to de-lid it are lunatics.

I installed Windows 7 and left the pc running all night. No issues so far. I'm going to leave it folding for the rest of the day. Hope it doesn't freeze up. But my temps are the same. I don't break 60c at full load. I'm not cutting into any CPU especially for the amount I paid for it. So we can toss that out the window. But so far so good.

Next to Indigo which might be the best I would recommend some IC Diamond.

This stuff is fast at reacting to huge spikes in thermal load. I use nothing but IC Diamond.

I installed Windows 7 and left the pc running all night. No issues so far. I'm going to leave it folding for the rest of the day. Hope it doesn't freeze up. But my temps are the same. I don't break 60c at full load. I'm not cutting into any CPU especially for the amount I paid for it. So we can toss that out the window. But so far so good.

If you're using the stock heatsink, that's about average for full load.

I don't have a stock cooler.

So far 48 hours and not one lock up. Folding the whole time and gaming at the same time. Still kind of scared of it locking up on me. I'll keep Folding till it does. If it does then I'll RMA it and send Intel a thank you note with it. I really want to get the i7 3770k but if this is what's going to happen to that one then I'll just wait for the next chip. I don't want to go backwards either.

But so far so good. Right now on CPUID hardware monitor my max is 43c, 48c, 47c, 48c and package 52c.

Does thermal paste usually need time to settle in? I'm using the Cooler Master thermal paste that came with the cooler.

That is why you don't cut towards the CPU.. or use the corner of the razorblade for that matter...

The best way to do it is to use the middle of the razorblade to cut each corner... and don't angle the razor.. keep it parallel to the CPU.

K4yb3.jpg

Also I used the razor recommended. This happened to be the last corner I pulled up as well, and when the top popped off it caused my razor to slip! DAMMIT!

Be very careful!

Yeah I was sawing at the thing with a packaging razor until i realized i had the wrong product. I definitely exposed some leads, but no perma damage thank god. Straight razor, wobbling forward presssure until it cuts through, then slow down so you don't hit the die hard.

K4yb3.jpg

Also I used the razor recommended. This happened to be the last corner I pulled up as well, and when the top popped off it caused my razor to slip! DAMMIT!

Be very careful!

Oops... were you actually pulling up on the lid while you were trying to cut? If so, that is probably what caused it.

I de-lided an Opteron 175 a few years ago... did it very slowly.. not very much pressure at all.

If you try to force things, it makes for easy slipping.

I was soooo scared that I was going to damage it, but it was worth it in the end.

I have had the 2500K and the 3570K underwater and the Ivy runs about 3c hotter at stock. The difference in load temps shouldn't be too far from that even with overclocking. I love how my chip still works with 3 pins missing in the socket from me trying to fix one that was preventing me from running dual channel. Thank god it still functions and overclocks.

In my sig loop I don't ever see temps over 60c on the Ivy CPU at 100% usage and it is second in my loop after my GPU. After an hour of gaming the water temp does reach an equilibrium though. Average temps while playing a game of FIFA12 @ 80-85% usage is 45c to 52c.

Hi there. I'm a proud new owner of a 3570k. Here's the problem.

I use this rig for Folding@Home. Problem is that after a while the rig freezes. I can't alt control delete out. Hard Reset. Well.

P8Z77-V Pro
Corsair GS600
Hyper X 1600mhz 8GB
Vertex 4

That's my current setup. Before I had a old HDD and P8Z77-V. Ok. I ran tests on the RAM per module and nothing. Kept freezing. I put in a different pair and it did the same thing. Ruled that out. I thought it was the MOBO. P8Z77-V. I swapped that out and it did it with my new board. Froze. So, someone told me the HDD. Old. I swapped that out. Vertex 4. New SSD and it froze once. Currently it's Folding and no issues after that one lock up.

So...I'm running Linux Mint. I changed it from Ubuntu thinking it was Ubuntu. Nope, it did it with Mint so I also ruled that out. Last two things to check? PSU and 3570k. The PSU was on a AMD rig that was folding 24/7 with a HD 6850 folding on it also. Could it be that the 3570k is bad?

The kernel that comes with Mint 13 does not yet fully support z77. You have to install kernel 3.3.6 or later. That will fix the random freezing.

I have had the 2500K and the 3570K underwater and the Ivy runs about 3c hotter at stock. The difference in load temps shouldn't be too far from that even with overclocking. I love how my chip still works with 3 pins missing in the socket from me trying to fix one that was preventing me from running dual channel. Thank god it still functions and overclocks.

In my sig loop I don't ever see temps over 60c on the Ivy CPU at 100% usage and it is second in my loop after my GPU. After an hour of gaming the water temp does reach an equilibrium though. Average temps while playing a game of FIFA12 @ 80-85% usage is 45c to 52c.

My temps are so much more terrible than yours! I run 4.7 at 1.265 with a gtx670 an$ it loads at 65 to 70ish, sometimes 85 in the hottest summer day. I use a 240mm

Back