New 2500k based build - Ordering Tomorrow - Could use some direction.

Eihli

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Almost exclusively for gaming. I'd like to be able to run games like Shogun 2, BF3, etc. on maximum settings @ 1900x1200 on a single monitor, with another monitor for surfing/browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Don't really have a budget but I don't have as much cash laying around as I normally do so I want to be moderately frugal.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Southwest Louisiana

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

I need a case, CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I'll be reusing a NH-D14 Noctua cooler, a 580GTX SC w/ 1.5gb VRAM, Samsung CD/DVD drive, 60gb X-25 Intel SSD, and my power supply is a Kingwin Mach 1 1000W.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121037

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Two 24" Samsung 245Ts that are 4+ years old but still running great. 1900x1200 is highest resolution.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Ordering parts tomorrow.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

I'm at a loss when it comes to recent motherboard features so I really don't know and it's one of the many reasons I'm asking for help. I don't RAID hard drives, not sure what firewire is, I do plan to SLI the 580s when I get another (down the road) so I'd like enough room on the motherboard and case to install two of those. I want good boot time/speed and some pretty good overclocking capability.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

64 Bit Windows 7.

This build is a complete rebuild as I already parted out my LGA775 DDR2 PC as I felt it was finally time to upgrade. I have most of the parts except the CPU, RAM, case, more solid state storage, and motherboard.

I want another 120gb of SSD, so a Crucial M4 looks appealing. I'm not interesting in using a small one as a cache for a magnetic drive, I want all of my HDs to be solid state in this build.

My favorite cases so far is the 690 II Cooler Master, but I don't know if it would fit this build. Of the large ATX cases, I like the HAF X and Storm Enforcer.

I'm at a complete loss on the motherboards as I really can't tell the difference between the $100 gigabytes and the $299 EVGA/Asrocks. If I spend more than $150 on a z68, then I want future upgradability meaning GEN 3 and PCI 3.0 support.

I'd like 1.25v ram with a small enough profile to clear my NH-D14. And I think I'm pretty much sold on a 2500k as I don't think the 2600k justifies the price.

I expect to replace a good portion of the components on this PC in the next few years, so I don't want to spend a terrible amount on this generation. But I want a good, functional, enthusiast PC.

I plan to order everything tomorrow so any responses would be fantastic. :d

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Don't really have a budget but I don't have as much cash laying around as I normally do so I want to be moderately frugal.

That doesn't help us as our definition of "frugal" and "much cash" differ from one another. So please gives us the max amount of cash that you can afford to spend on this PC.

In the meantime, here are some of my recommended cases to look at:
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56W ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance nVidia Edition ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-60FN ATX Case
$125 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$125 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$125 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 White ATX Case
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Case
$130 - Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$140 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$140 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$170 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$190 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Screw it, here's a build anyway:
$220 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
$155 - MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard
$50 - G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$198 - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SSD
---
Total: $626 plus tax and shipping.

The above G.Skill is pretty much the only 1.25V RAM on sale from Newegg. The Crucial M4 is a solid SSD. Motherboard wise, I pretty much went with the kitchen sink approach and selected a mobo with almost all the features that you could need. UEFI, USB 3.0, good overclocking capability, PCI-E 3.0, etc.

Also regarding your PSU: I would be a little worried using GTX 580 SLI on that as it has some really mean ripple issues once you get past 800W of power. The GTX 580 can use up to 288W of power alone.

Thank you Danny.

Sorry about using the world frugal, I meant to say that I have no budget but I don't want to needlessly throw away money at "features" that I may not notice or use.

I'm looking into the PSU right now; I bought it a couple years ago and it's sat in my closet since. I wasn't aware that model even had any issues as it looks like it's a pretty quality PSU.

As I said in the original post, the 690 was my favorite case of all time. Would this build even fit in a 690 II with SLI GTX 580s?

Last edited:
Sorry about using the world frugal, I meant to say that I have no budget but I don't want to needlessly throw away money at "features" that I may not notice or use.

All righty then. In any case, the above setup should work fine for you. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
I'm looking into the PSU right now; I bought it a couple years ago and it's sat in my closet since. I wasn't aware that model even had any issues as it looks like it's a pretty quality PSU.
Yeah it just missed the mark on being a good PSU:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=155

Well, as far as the case... will the 690 II support GTX 580s or do I need a larger case?

It seemed like a tight fit in my CM 690 (original) for just one GTX 560 and I'm scared that if I go with the 690 II I'm going to run into space issues, which I don't want to do.

...but the 690 II nVidia edition looks cool as hell.

Edit: Looking at the 600T from Corsair and that also looks cool as hell. Will I run into space issues with that case?

Last edited:
Back