New 1080 G1 from Amazon doesn't post

DocSavage

2[H]4U
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming from Amazon for $650.

It was supposed to ship out on the 10th, but they somehow shipped it out to days early and I got it on the 10th.

Well, when I got the box out of the shipping cardboard, the tabs on the corners looked like it had been previously opened. When I got to the card itself, the security tape had a couple small spots where the printing was missing which reinforced my thoughts that the card had been returned.

Whatever, as long as it works all is good, right?

Well it doesn't appear to work. The computer boots right up, but the monitor never comes out of sleep mode. The cables are all plugged in (monitor to vid card as well as the pci-e power cable). The video card itself has the fans spinning and a Gigabyte logo that cycles through different colors.

Anybody have any last minute suggestions before I return this thing to Amazon for another?

p.s. This is with the motherboard and monitor in my sig.

Don't do a straight return, choose the replacement option?

Oh wait I see you got an old board. It might be a UEFI issue.

check for a mobo bios update. I'm pretty sure ive seen others here with 1080 and p67 that will not work together. in fact this is the latest bios notes:

P8P67 BIOS 3602
1.Improve system stability.
2.Enhance compatibility with some USB devices.
3.Fixed Nvidia GTX 680 hang when runing with UEFI driver.

if that doesn't work or you already have it ask Gb but if they cant help you're SOL and its time for an upgrade...

You can always try it out in a friend's computer to see if yours is the problem.

Thanks guys. I'll try the card in my work computer tomorrow.

Edit: read the linked thread and will definitely try updating the bios and using that PCI legacy mode first.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Yes - I had the same issue with my older x79 board. Not even a post. Had to update to the new retard-o-tron UEFI BIOS before it would even boot. I especially liked how MSI support had no clue about this compatibility issue with older mobo's.

If you got a used card that you purchased as new, then stop fucking around with it and just replace it. Contact Amazon about it nao. I wouldn't care if it worked or not, I'm not going to settle paying full retail for a used product.

If you got a used card that you purchased as new, then stop fucking around with it and just replace it. Contact Amazon about it nao. I wouldn't care if it worked or not, I'm not going to settle paying full retail for a used product.

True.. for that type of money! No idea what someone else did to it.

I'd at least check to make sure I'm not sending back a gold card.

Well, Amazon's been pretty good to me with returns, exchanging this will be a bit of a hassle, and the card looks to be brand new to the eye, so I'll at least give it a chance.

I already had the latest bios and the pci setting was already legacy, but there was a bios option underneath that which I turned off and the card would post. Unfortunately, after loading the driver in Windows, the screen is just noise. I think the card really is toast.

I already had the latest bios and the pci setting was already legacy, but there was a bios option underneath that which I turned off and the card would post. Unfortunately, after loading the driver in Windows, the screen is just noise. I think the card really is toast.

Return it and ask for a refund and go with something else. I grabbed the Zotac 1080 AMP! Edition from Amazon a few days ago for $639 and it's a fantastic card.

Yeah single zotac amp card is nice.. but not for sli. Had to and cook pretty fast to 80-84c in benching. Fe cards for the win for sli setups though there pretty loud at 85%+ fans.

I've tried 4 fe cards ( 2 pny and 2 evga) and all scored higher overclocks then the zotac amp cards. Zotac would do 2050 but the fe would hit 2100... though one founder edition card from pny would do 2125!

Really it's all about cooling and the blower fans did best even in single use.

The zotac cards may of needed to be reseated or the fans didn't do that great of a job.. it was damn quiet at max fan.

Extra power of the zotac with its dual 8 pins didn't provide higher clocks over the single 8 pin of the fe cards.. bios tweaks could show otherwise.

So I moved the card back to the bottom PCI slot (my case has the mobo upside down) and it actually works.
It runs 3D Mark just fine. I played No Man's Sky for several hours. Then I played Dota 2, and it ran fine until... my computer would just spontaneously reboot. Every freaking match.

So I bought an ASUS Strix 1080 from Microcenter since the computer never had this problem until I put this Amazon Gigabyte 1080 G1 card in.

And it still would randomly reboot.

Turns out my 5 year old Corsair HX850 power supply is flaking out as a $69 Corsair CX750M from Best Buy has resolved the problems completely.

I'm now stuck with two 1080s, but I already have an RMA from Amazon and since the card still seems like it's been used and the card itself isn't half as beefy as the Strix, I'm still returning it.

p.s. The Asus had tape on the outer box which the Gigabyte didn't. Also, the Asus had plastic film on the backplate which the Gigabyte did not.

So I moved the card back to the bottom PCI slot (my case has the mobo upside down) and it actually works.
It runs 3D Mark just fine. I played No Man's Sky for several hours. Then I played Dota 2, and it ran fine until... my computer would just spontaneously reboot. Every freaking match.

So I bought an ASUS Strix 1080 from Microcenter since the computer never had this problem until I put this Amazon Gigabyte 1080 G1 card in.

Turns out my 5 year old Corsair HX850 power supply is flaking out as a $69 Corsair CX750M from Best Buy has resolved the problems completely.

I'm now stuck with two 1080s, but I already have an RMA from Amazon and since the card still seems like it's been used and the card itself isn't half as beefy as the Strix, I'm still returning it.

p.s. The Asus had tape on the outer box which the Gigabyte didn't. Also, the Asus had plastic film on the backplate which the Gigabyte did not.

Happy you figured out the problem and returning that possibly used card. Hopefully amazon sends it back to the manufacturer this time!

Happy you figured out the problem and returning that possibly used card. Hopefully amazon sends it back to the manufacturer this time!
Yeah. I probably would have never suspect it being used if I didn't get a returned SSD from them less than a year ago. Now I don't trust them.

I got my G1 from Amazon today and it looked like it had been opened as well, but the tape on anti static sleeve was still in place. The listing had frustration free packaging listed so....they took the outer shrink-wrap off? I dunno, but mine runs great. At least you solved your issues. Did yours only come with a disk and a quick start guide?

Same here. HX850, Asus 1080 Strix on a 4770k with Asus Z87-Pro. Card worked in GTA and Doom. PoE would cause a reboot and during reboot, would completely power off momentarily before coming back up. Running 680's again in SLI and returned the card. The Strix also had the plastic on the back and had been sealed on both ends of the box. PoE also caused the Strix fans to be heard. GTA and Doom didn't cause the fan issue. Planned build now is completely new rig later in the year with Z270 and new power supply. Guess I'll wait till Christmas. I don't know that the HX's can run 1080's. I've seen a few other forum posts where the HX and 1080 had rebooting issues. Guess I can't fault it. HX850's are long in the tooth.

Same here. HX850, Asus 1080 Strix on a 4770k with Asus Z87-Pro. Card worked in GTA and Doom. PoE would cause a reboot and during reboot, would completely power off momentarily before coming back up. Running 680's again in SLI and returned the card. The Strix also had the plastic on the back and had been sealed on both ends of the box. PoE also caused the Strix fans to be heard. GTA and Doom didn't cause the fan issue. Planned build now is completely new rig later in the year with Z270 and new power supply. Guess I'll wait till Christmas. I don't know that the HX's can run 1080's. I've seen a few other forum posts where the HX and 1080 had rebooting issues. Guess I can't fault it. HX850's are long in the tooth.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I got my G1 from Amazon today and it looked like it had been opened as well, but the tape on anti static sleeve was still in place. The listing had frustration free packaging listed so....they took the outer shrink-wrap off? I dunno, but mine runs great. At least you solved your issues. Did yours only come with a disk and a quick start guide?
I never actually opened the box that came with it. I just put it in and hooked up my dvi-d monitor. I'm glad your's is working well! The G1 is nice because it actually fit my case. I had to displace about 1/2" of drive cage to get the ASUS to fit.

I think I dodged a bit of a bullet looking at your posts as up until very recently I had an older corsair hx PSU as well (switched over to the newer RM 850i just a couple of months ago).

Back