New 1080 not working. DOA or Asus mobo incompatibility?

MaZa

2[H]4U
My rig is in my signature. I finally decided to make a jump and get a high end GPU for once in my lifetime, Inno3D Twin2x GTX1080. Buuuut it does not work. No picture at all, the computer is not posting. I swap between GTX770 and the new GTX1080 and former keeps on working but 1080 is black screen. Same PCIe port, same power cables (modular 6+2 configuration, no dedicated 6 pin cables in my 750W OCZ powersupply but two pins on one side are clip-ons). To rule out possible HDMI port problem I left it on for couple of minutes to see if Windows was opening underneath and then turned the power off to see if it begins the few seconds long shutdown procedure but no, it turns off on the spot so obviously the computer does not even POST. The second PCIe port shows no results either. Disabled my CPU overclocks and underclocked my RAM, nothing.

I even tried turning it on WITHOUT power cables which in my GTX770 immidietly shows a warning in the screen telling me to turn off and plug in the power cables. GTX1080 does no such thing, just black screen as before.

The TV does react whenever there is power however. When I disconnect the HDMI cable it shows the typical no signal thingy, but when I connect it back to the card it tells me its receiving 1080p signal, even if there is nothing there.

Did I just have a shit luck and get a faulty GTX1080, or could there be a compability problem with my Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard? It does have the latest BIOS, which is not much since the last update was on 2012 or something but Pascal should be backwards compatible to PCIe 2.0 and people have been installing them on Sandy/Ivy Bridge machines succesfully from what I know.

Oh, you're on P67. Those were the worst for UEFI/BIOS compatibility. I'm not sure if modern cards like the 1080 are still prone to that stuff but I'd try the card in another system before you spend all day messing with this.

Heh, only other system I have is my old Q9550 rig with GTX460 and Corsair HX520 PSU. I wonder what are the chances that the card would work with that. I have to check if I still have GPU power cables for it somewhere. It would not hurt to check it out I guess.

Out of my friends I have the the most recent computer though. Closest being my friend at the work place with his Phenom rig with GTX780. Dunno if his rig is much help either.

*edit* Oh sweet, I opened the q9550 and it already has all the cables in. Hopefully the rest of the machine works, it has not been turned on for YEARS.

Yup.. for sure UEFI/Legacy BIOS incompatibility... check the Asus Page for a UEFI BIOS, or Ask Inno3D if it can provide you a BIOS with legacy support... there are couple of manufacturers that provide Hybrid BIOS, or BIOS switch with UEFI/Legacy just to avoid this.. but as the time move, even legacy are being more and more dropped from support so its common issue more or less...

Well the Q9550 was a bust. Originally it was my computer which I gave to my parents, but it developed a mysterious freezing problem and I took it back for repairs. Never found out what was wrong so I pushed it aside and left if alone and they have a new rig now. Now, after all these years of downtime it does not even POST anymore. It gets power but hard crashes on the spot, it turns off only when I hold the power button. Resetting CMOS battery did nothing. Something has failed spectacularly. *edit* Well, good thing is now I finally have a reason to take that piece of junk to recycling center.

Maybe I should go and see if it works with my friends Phenom rig.

Last edited:
Yup.. for sure UEFI/Legacy BIOS incompatibility... check the Asus Page for a UEFI BIOS, or Ask Inno3D if it can provide you a BIOS with legacy support... there are couple of manufacturers that provide Hybrid BIOS, or BIOS switch with UEFI/Legacy just to avoid this.. but as the time move, even legacy are being more and more dropped from support so its common issue more or less...

Checked and the latest BIOS is, like i remembered, from 2012. One of the fixes was, ironically, about freezing GTX680. Suddenly I'm feeling depressed. :(

u99 and araxie are right, uefi issue. contact both manufacturers and see if they can help. if not youll have to look for a card with bios switch if they exist or time for an upgrade!

u99 and araxie are right, uefi issue. contact both manufacturers and see if they can help. if not youll have to look for a card with bios switch if they exist or time for an upgrade!

We'll see. I contacted my friend and arranged to meet him after work. He did warn me that his phenom rig is even older but i said at least it has a good old Bios without UEFI nonsense. If it shows the same symptoms i guess i'll have it changed. If it boots or atleast shows something... Well... Shit. And I just updated my rig to 16gb 2133mhz RAM a month ago too. God damnit.

Well, mentally preparing for the worst instead of putting 800€ on a kickass GPU I might be putting it towards i5 skylake insides and mediocre gpu like RX480. Make no mistake it would be an upgrade over GTX770, but not the big jump i was hoping. No VR for that rig, which I was planning for next year, thats for sure.

I ditched my P67 due to issues like this, sucks to deal with. Pretty unfortunate new cards are having issues in systems that are less than 5 years old.

Well, you guys were absolutely right. It was my UEFI BIOS all along. We installed the card on my friends old Phenom rig and it booted right up. We tested few games, benchmarked Shadow Of Mordor maxed out and DSR 2880x1620 resolution with whopping 80fps average (on a Phenom!) and concluded that the card is bloody amazing.

What would be the best/fastest way to contact Asus tech support? I have never contacted any big company before actually, never had a need. I remember there being few Asus representatives here in this forum, are they still active? Maybe I should PM one and inform them about the Pascal incompatibility and ask if my mobo still has a legacy support and any hope for a BIOS update? Though I still have only 13 days left of return policy, I doubt they would get a fix out that fast. I will definetly return the card before that runs out and start thinking about Plan B.

Inno3D might be the fastest way if they do have legacy BIOS available but I am hestitant about flashing the BIOS. That would void any return policies and warranties on a spot.

Well, you guys were absolutely right. It was my UEFI BIOS all along. We installed the card on my friends old Phenom rig and it booted right up. We tested few games, benchmarked Shadow Of Mordor maxed out and DSR 2880x1620 resolution with whopping 80fps average (on a Phenom!) and concluded that the card is bloody amazing.

What would be the best/fastest way to contact Asus tech support? I have never contacted any big company before actually, never had a need. I remember there being few Asus representatives here in this forum, are they still active? Maybe I should PM one and inform them about the Pascal incompatibility and ask if my mobo still has a legacy support and any hope for a BIOS update? Though I still have only 13 days left of return policy, I doubt they would get a fix out that fast. I will definetly return the card before that runs out and start thinking about Plan B.

Inno3D might be the fastest way if they do have legacy BIOS available but I am hestitant about flashing the BIOS. That would void any return policies and warranties on a spot.

They can't help, the boards are old and never had full support for the current crop of UEFI cards. This isn't an issue where there are one or two boards that don't work, there are entire product lines from the P67 era that don't work with UEFI cards and people haven't found a workaround or been provided a solution by the manufacturer.

That is interesting to note, because one of my friends is still on a Lynnfield board. If it's pre-UEFI, maybe that skirts the issue altogether?
I ask because he may be considering a Pascal upgrade during the refresh window next year (or whenever the Ti comes out, and reduces the 1070/1080 pricing anyway).

That is interesting to note, because one of my friends is still on a Lynnfield board. If it's pre-UEFI, maybe that skirts the issue altogether?
I ask because he may be considering a Pascal upgrade during the refresh window next year (or whenever the Ti comes out, and reduces the 1070/1080 pricing anyway).

best option would be to look straight for a card with dual BIOS support legacy and UEFI. or a card with Hybrid BIOS. I know for sure MSI have couple of models with Hybrid BIOS, most of Nvidia cards usually chip with Hybrid BIOS is up to the AIB partner to decide if it want to feature full UEFI, full Legacy or hybrid... it also depend entirely of the motherboard as some motherboard legacy also have update to UEFI bios.

They can't help, the boards are old and never had full support for the current crop of UEFI cards. This isn't an issue where there are one or two boards that don't work, there are entire product lines from the P67 era that don't work with UEFI cards and people haven't found a workaround or been provided a solution by the manufacturer.

If thats true then its time for a Plan B. Unless I find a cheap Z68 motherboard somewhere (which I presume would be compatibility problem free?) I have to get a barebones 6600K Skylake system with cheap Asrock mobo and either RX480 or GTX1060. I might be able to push the budget to a bit which would allow me to get GTX1070 but I would have to wait until the tax returns come at december, and honestly I am SICK of my slow piece of shit GTX770. Modern games push it to a crawl even on low settings.

Or are there any cheaper alternatives to Skylake? Obviously that is the latest and greatest but for games you dont really need the latest and fastest (as overclocked Sandy has proved, only now it has shown some bottlenecks in very certain scenarios) to get enjoyable framerates and Intel released quite a few CPU's between Sandy and Skylake.

Yeah, if its pre-UEFI it might run just fine. As I said, this GTX1080 worked fantastically in my friends Phenom rig.

Well if Zen impresses, you may have multiple options on the CPU front in December 2016.
For now, I'd probably return it and replace with a Maxwell card (980Ti) and pocket the difference.

Holy shit guys! IT WORKING! ITS WORKING!!!!

Guess what, I googled around about this dual bios thing and accidentally found out that couple of years back someone had the same problems with a mere GTX 970. Well, on the last BIOS update Asus had added a PCI Legacy mode in the Boot settings which I did not know about. And it helped him. On the spot I immidietly booted my machine, turned it on, changed cards and voila! It booted right up! Oh my god the joy!

I will now clean install my drivers and run 3D Mark Firestrike and post the results. God damn I am feeling excited.

Holy shit guys! IT WORKING! ITS WORKING!!!!

Guess what, I googled around about this dual bios thing and accidentally found out that couple of years back someone had the same problems with a mere GTX 970. Well, on the last BIOS update Asus had added a PCI Legacy mode in the Boot settings which I did not know about. And it helped him. On the spot I immidietly booted my machine, turned it on, changed cards and voila! It booted right up! Oh my god the joy!

I will now clean install my drivers and run 3D Mark Firestrike and post the results. God damn I am feeling excited.

excellent.. Awesome news, glad to help you to solve the issue.. it would be good if you could post the links of the sites in order to if anyone else have those issues we can refer to this thread to help anyone else later

Last edited:
Reactions: MaZa
like this
Here is the score with my old GTX770
I scored 7 530 in Fire Strike

And here is with GTX1080
I scored 15 373 in Fire Strike

As you can see the size of my epeen more than doubled. :p

excellent.. Awesome news, glad to help you to solve the issue.. it would be good if you could post the links of the sites in order to if anyone else have those issues we can refer to this thread to help anyone else later

It was this thread that gave me the idea:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-bios-after-installing-new-gtx-970/?offset=45

It was more about Gigabyte but it gave me an idea to check if Asus had added the same, and they did. Thanks to all of you for help.

Back