Never knew it would pay off being an early adopter for the 5850/5870

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
It's crazy, this has never happened before. Video card prices going up after launch? Usually you get burned for being an early adopter, and they have higher launch prices...and then prices get lower. Now, it's reversed, prices were lower at launch, lol

Glad I only paid $259 for my 5850 with no tax. ;). Now people are spending over $300 for the 5850, though still well worth it considering it beats a gtx285 easily. I'm gonna check Fry's today and let you guys know if they are in stock. :cool:

ps3system.jpg

but at the end of the day its still only $40 bucks, so I guess if I really needed on of those the forty wouldnt be to bad spent then to save the frustration. The 5000 series is solid. My 5870 reminds me of my old 9700pro!

It's crazy, this has never happened before. Video card prices going up after launch? Usually you get burned for being an early adopter, and they have higher launch prices...and then prices get lower. Now, it's reversed, prices were lower at launch, lol

Glad I only paid $259 for my 5850 with no tax. ;). Now people are spending over $300 for the 5850, though still well worth it considering it beats a gtx285 easily. I'm gonna check Fry's today and let you guys know if they are in stock. :cool:

ps3system.jpg

Dude, stfu. This post only serves to add salt to the wound. :p

between you and Sonda5...I am surprised there's any REAL information going on in the ATI subforum, anymore. Actually, Sonda5 is behaving after coming back from his ban.

wow this is horrible! but not surprising. ATI can get away with it for 2 reasons, 1: demand, 2: nvidia has nothing to counter with.

Yea I agree. I did not expect the TSMC shortage.....and now finding a 5870/5850 is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Good luck to anyone looking for one.

Hopefully I can get my hands on a 5890 the minute it hits Newegg. These are going to be super rare.

I wonder if itd be worth it to buy 10 and sell them at 30+ dollars markup on ebay...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah I bought my ASUS 5870 a couple weeks ago, very lucky to find it. I got message on my blackberry from newegg that it was in stock so I bought it while the teacher was lecturing lol! I knew if I didnt by the time class was over it would be gone and that was the last piece needed in my new build. I honestly thought that i'd be really pissed off paying $397 shipped for it a few weeks later with black friday/cyber monday coming and then see it drop.............but I for some reason doubt there will be any drop in price soon! GL to anyone trying to find.

LOL More to rub in the salt........(oh and it works fine dont fucking flip out about the carpet like i know a lot of people will, i've never once had something stop working b/c of setting it on carpet)

5870.jpg

boxed.jpg

unboxed.jpg

It could easily have gone the other way, but I'm glad I'm an early adopter of my xfx 5870. Been having lots of fun w/ it. @ $379 - $55 for old gpu, it cost me $324. Too bad they're having yield troubles w/ the chips, but that may also have kept Nvidia at bay. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
I really lucked out got the Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X for $399 at Newegg, usually I get screwed but I feel OK about this one....

Heres mine posing in the nude with my 8800ultras (which are for sale on ebay)
110520098011.jpg

I was supposed to be buying a HD 5850 in a month. Dodn't have the money to buy it earlier. But as it turns out I should've preordered it after all, since in Finland the card I was looking at still hasn't come in stock, so I could've ordered it. Now the price is about 30 euros more than it was. Given even the lower price was at the "pain threshold" for me, it seems I'll have to postpone the purchase unless the prices come down again. Then again I mostly play WoW at the moment, and it runs well enough for the time being on my lowly HD 4670, so I'm in no huge hurry.

Has nothing to do with being jalous, it rather shows how important it is for the author to get other peoples approval, which tells alot about his selfesteem, but thats not the worst part, the inside of his computer looks like crap.

Has nothing to do with being jalous, it rather shows how important it is for the author to get other peoples approval, which tells alot about his selfesteem, but thats not the worst part, the inside of his computer looks like crap.

Did I mention I flashed it with the unlocked 5870 Asus bios and have clocked it to 980/1300 at only 1.6 volts - :cool:

knekker changing his tune now that he has this info in 3, 2, 1......

Yeah you did already mention it in your sig, but what does that info have to do with you keep posting picks of your computer?

Did I mention I flashed it with the unlocked 5870 Asus bios and have clocked it to 980/1300 at only 1.6 volts - :cool:

1.6V? Does the asus utility let you go that high? I dont think Afterburner does.

One 5850 departing this world in a glorious conflagration in 3, 2, 1...

lol I was a little peeved last night. I'm putting together a PC for a buddy of mine and ordered the stuff from newegg last night. I'm selling him my old 260 so I can upgrade to either a 5870 or a GTX295 (the ATi card is obvously a better deal). Right before I left to go home, I saw a 5870 avalible on newegg but by the time I got home to order it, it was sold out again :(

So I got his order together and right before I pulled the trigger on it, I saw another (ASUS) 5870 became avalible and added it to my cart and dropped the gtx295. At that time, my internet connection started to get a little wierd and was being really slow. By the time my router restarted and got everything back up and running, the card was sold out again lol

so stuck with the 295 :D I hope that nvidia comes out with fermi in the next 90 days :p

Yes many times.

Dude. You own a 5850 and just one at that. You are paired it with a quad with a moddest overclock, yet you are acting like you have a heavily overclocked 5870 running in 2x+ crossfire paired with a 4.5Ghz+ i7 OC. If you want to act all bad ass about your rig, maybe you should:

1) Spend more time on cable management and less time on watermarks?
2) Get something worth bragging about? Look at my sig, see how fancy it is? It's not. Do you see me going off spouting about how fast it is? Not really.
3) Stop self inflating numbers. The GTX 285 and the 5850 are closer to equals. Resident Evil 5, the 285 beats the 5850. Bataman, The 285 can beat the 5850 while running Physx vs the 5850 with physx off. Ghostbusters and NFS They tied, Arma and Crysis goes to the 5850. If one card is going to "easily" beat another card, they need to beat them in all games, not win 2, loose 2 and tie 2.

lol I was a little peeved last night. I'm putting together a PC for a buddy of mine and ordered the stuff from newegg last night. I'm selling him my old 260 so I can upgrade to either a 5870 or a GTX295 (the ATi card is obvously a better deal). Right before I left to go home, I saw a 5870 avalible on newegg but by the time I got home to order it, it was sold out again :(

So I got his order together and right before I pulled the trigger on it, I saw another (ASUS) 5870 became avalible and added it to my cart and dropped the gtx295. At that time, my internet connection started to get a little wierd and was being really slow. By the time my router restarted and got everything back up and running, the card was sold out again lol

so stuck with the 295 :D I hope that nvidia comes out with fermi in the next 90 days :p

Not Nvidia hating or anything but i would have seriously waited for in stock - i've also heard that other reputable websites actually offer stock.

Just going from a crossfire setup to a single card the heat difference in my room is major, and it's coming into summer here.

But you can't be dissapointed with that monster of a card :)

^ yeah, I was going to wait, but since he said that he wanted to buy my 260, I needed a card to replace it asap and figured what the hell :) he's paying for part of it anyway so it's not too bad of a hit on my bank account lol

I did want a DX11 card really bad, but I guess I can wait. like I said, lets hope nvidia launches fermi in the next 90 days :) (went with an EVGA)

Yes many times.

Dude. You own a 5850 and just one at that. You are paired it with a quad with a moddest overclock, yet you are acting like you have a heavily overclocked 5870 running in 2x+ crossfire paired with a 4.5Ghz+ i7 OC. If you want to act all bad ass about your rig, maybe you should:

1) Spend more time on cable management and less time on watermarks?
2) Get something worth bragging about? Look at my sig, see how fancy it is? It's not. Do you see me going off spouting about how fast it is? Not really.
3) Stop self inflating numbers. The GTX 285 and the 5850 are closer to equals. Resident Evil 5, the 285 beats the 5850. Bataman, The 285 can beat the 5850 while running Physx vs the 5850 with physx off. Ghostbusters and NFS They tied, Arma and Crysis goes to the 5850. If one card is going to "easily" beat another card, they need to beat them in all games, not win 2, loose 2 and tie 2.

1) Cute. Wire management critic.
2) 5850 is hot, where you been?
3) Not even. The 5850 is $150 less than a gtx285 and it beats it in crysis? Come one now. With the 5870 bios I was seeing 5870 results in games and benchmarks. That is no joke.

Your rig looks very familiar ;) so you haven't tryed OC'ing it yet eh? haha no worries dude I would of said the same thing to a Craigslist customer.

I almost shit myself before I saw the post where you said 1.16v but I am super happy that you were able to achieve those results. Card works great btw just finished MW2 playing maxed out :D

Man, you so got me man! :eek:. I really only used those clocks for benches. Were you able to register it? I still have that 5870 bios which worked well with the card if you want it. :cool:. That card really doesn't need to be oc'd for gaming though IMO. Glad you are happy with it! I will miss it, and I should remove it from my sig.

God PS3 is such an annoying fucking troll.

I wish the trolls on this forum would get banned, I think anytime you post the same picture on this forum more than a couple times it should be an auto-ban.

If I had a trashy coolermaster case I would not be posting it everywhere for the world to see.

God PS3 is such an annoying fucking troll.

I wish the trolls on this forum would get banned, I think anytime you post the same picture on this forum more than a couple times it should be an auto-ban.

If I had a trashy coolermaster case I would not be posting it everywhere for the world to see.

Wow such an angry individual, life not treating you well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back